PDA

View Full Version : Ahawl!! What a great short day Poseidon (Part 2)

SP Dan
09-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Another short report. Almost identical to Saturday. BORING :Head Bang:
Air temp 60 deg., Surf 1-2 ft., Swell 1-ft, H20 66 deg., wind 10 mph NE, incoming tide 2.3' at 6:00 AM and 4.8' by 9:00 AM. Grey light. No one around but me. No salad! Yahoo! Big Grin:

I'm just practicing on how just to shrink the size of my photos prior to attempting my would be posting pictures here. Thank you for reading my thread. <"))><

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=32904&d=1316132779

Nice conditions! This day felt powerful!

Again feet wet at 6:15 AM.
So, here's the fish tail... it goes like this...6:30 AM BLAM!! 15" hali. I'm still loving that head shake!! You have to understand this, I haven't felt that shake for approx. 3 weeks before this weekend! WAY TOO LONG of a time to go without a good head shake! When it does happen.....it just makes me feel really excited and relieved, once I've confirmed with myself that....."YES"!!...I've hooked another Halibut! Whaooo! Any size...as long as it's a Halibut!
I know that with patience...all good things will come to me! So, the legal sized Halibut are coming to me,........:Worship: someday soon I hope.
Well, again I had landed it pretty quickly. Also, quick release. You all know what a 15" and 21" Halibut look like! One's a bit bigger! :Razz: ha ha ha. I had taken only one photo that day.
So, I'm thinking to myself that there has to be more Hali's in that zone! So I keep fan casting.
6:45 AM Bump and tug. A cute Bat Ray. Quick release.

I see a guy casting along the surf and walking up in my direction... It was GETBIT! :Big Grin: He had said on the FNN site the night before, that he might be at the AO in the morn. What a great hook up!:Big Grin:I want you to teach me your drop shot technique the next time we hook up!
7:30 AM again....Bump and tug. A decent sized hovel Nose. :Angry:
All of a sudden I'm a magnet to Shovel Nose and Bat Rays??? Go figure! :EyePop: Of course it was foul hooked and with GETBIT's surgical assistance, the hooks were removed and it was quickly released! Thank you buddy, I really appreciated the helping hand! :Cool:
We had a good secession up until he had to depart at approx. 9:00 AM. I went with the LC 110 lure (I cast it way deep) and Troy did the drop shot approach and I'd say that he was pretty damned good with it! I believe that he had caught just as many fish as I did, his count could have been more, I lost count. :LOL:
SP Dan's assault tactics: LC 110 American Shad. (very affective!)
GITBIT'S assault tactics: Palamar drop shot. (also,very affective!)

8:00 AM BLAM again!! 13" hali. I'm really "getting off" on the head shake!!:OMG!:
It's now been some time since the last bite and I'm going numb fan casting when ....
9:00 AM... I'm shaken from my coma by a pull...pull....BENDO!!
Great long drag pulls, I loosened my drag setting and I knew what it was away...either another Shovel Nose or another Ray! Had that pull! There weren't really any waves to help me skim the fish up the beach. So finally at 9:18 AM, the foamy surf receded back into the sea leaving a what appeared to be a 38"-42" Shovel Nose Shark laying on the wet sand! Right when I had landed it on the wet sand... I was getting ready to grab it when.....zing!...the hooked lure released by it's self! The absolute best release that there could be! No broken rod this time neither! All fish were released with as little damage as possible to them.
Hopefully, the released Halibut and I will again someday meet up for the ultimate battle in the trenches! :Death2Above: At that time we will both be better prepared warriors!
10:00 AM headed for home and feeling good not being :Skunk:

My fish count for this weekend:
(4) Halibut 13"-21", (4) Shovel Nose (one was a rod buster), (2) Bat Rays, (1) Yellow fin Croaker (YFC). All-in-all....It was a good secession.

SP Dan :Cool: <"))><

GETBIT!
09-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Hey nice report dan sure was fun fishn out there Sunday, love catching fish that close to home(: And this thread would probly be way cooler with pics!! but untill we figure that out oh well!! Haha take care man and Ill hitcha up you later about that long beach thing

DockRat
09-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Good job on the Flapjacks. I drove down to R Palms the other day. Looked pretty fishy.
Thnx for the report.
DR

Indo-angler
09-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the report. It was fun reading!

11 fish in a less than 4 hour session is pretty decent trip! Good job.

SP Dan
09-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Hey Indo-angler!

That was the count for two days. 2-hrs on Sat. until my rod got broken and 3.5-hrs on Sunday. yes...it was a cool session! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

SP Dan
09-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks DockRat!

Did you take a fish count? I haven't tried RP yet I guess the rocks and kelp keep me away.
Maybe we could hook it up down there some time. You could show me how it's done! Let me know.
Do you use spark plugs down there. Most of the old locals do! :EyePop:

SP Dan <"))><

Badbeat
09-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Glad the enemy didn't claim another rod this time. :Wink:
Surf fishing is alot of work, but so much fun. Nice job out there. :Cool:

PONTOON
09-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Dan, :Applause::Applause::Applause:Fantastic Report!:Cool:

I'm reading your report and I'm feeling almost every cast and I can honestly say I'll bet I know exactly what is going through your mind evey time you hook up.:Cool:

Keep your focus on your goal and I assure you the day you take out the tape and the fish measures out as a legal fish or better it is going to zap the energy right out of you.
Keep up the good work and I'm enjoying reading about the ride you are on!:Thumbs Up:

bones
09-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Great job out there Dan. Your big old legal is right on the horizon. Keep at it and thanks for the southbay report!
No wonder you always smile....Your a fish killin machine!

SP Dan
09-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Hey Bones,
Thanks,
I went out last night and the trenches were fully exposed! I was throwing the LC 110 lure the entire time and I had to literally watch where I was placing my feet! One trough was a sudden 1-3 ft drop off, 3-4 ft wide and snaked for approx 80 ft. There were smaller troughs out there also (still drop offs). When the surf receded, the troughs would flow like a river to the north with less than 6 inches of surf foam flowing over the top of them. It was really crazy! I thought to myself....THIS IS IT!! TRENCH TIME!! LEGAL TIME!! :Cool:
The conditions were perfect except for one thing................not a single bite in 2 1/2 hours.

Incoming tide.
water= 66, waves= 0-1.5 ft, tide at 4:00 PM= 0.8 ft, at 5:00 PM=0.7 ft and at 6:30 PM= 2.2 ft. the surf was breaking way off shore approx 150 ft. There was some salad but not really bad, it would shake right off.

Bones...Where did I go wrong??? Should I have changed tactics??? When do you know when to change your assault tactics??? Was it because of the full moon??? I know fish can be caught during the full moon phase.
Even the Farmer's Almanac predicted that last night would be a very good evening for catching fish??? :Shocked:
Thank you for your encouragement! Also, I really enjoyed reading your thread Bones!

Thank you,

SP Dan <"))><

SP Dan
09-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks Badbeat,

I always feel good after putting out my best efforts. Even the broken rod didn't phase me that much!
The out come of my secession can and will vary but my attitude in the trenches just keeps getting better.
My Grandfather always said to me: "All good things will come to those with patience"! Patience is a good thing for me to have right now and that big Hali and I will meet up soon enough in the trenches! When it does happen......well.....IT'S ON!! :Guns:
I will continue to prepare myself for that moment! I even purchased a new water proof camera today just for that soon to happen moment! I just need the encounter!

Thank you for your encouragement!

SP Dan <"))><

SP Dan
09-15-2011, 09:25 PM
HEY!! Alright now!!
I can finally post some pictures!
Thanks for reading my posts. :Cool:
SP Dan <"))><

murrieta angler
09-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Keep it up Dan!
It will come.