PDA

View Full Version : Whats everyone using for stiper at DVL?

aquaflamz
09-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Went there on the 9th and was fishing right with all the other 15+ boats for striper. Others were catching but not us. haha Would just like to get other angler's input on what they are catching the striper on. What kind of cut bait and was it fresh or frozen. Jigs? What kind and size. Seems people were catching on jigs and bait that day from what I observed. We were jigging a medium crocodile and also dropping cut frozen anchovies which obviously didn't work. Going this Tuesday so hopefully I'll be armed with better info to slay the striper! Thanks in advance!

riverside_angler
09-11-2011, 11:18 PM
fresh bait, not frozen. sardines. Try squid (yes squid)!

bob sr
09-12-2011, 06:13 AM
I live in Sun City....Where can I get FRESH sardines?????A lot of places have FRESH squid, but no sardines.....

aquaflamz
09-12-2011, 11:10 AM
I second that question....Where to get fresh sardines? I live in the Palm Springs area and there is NOTHING as far as good bait goes except worms at wal mart. haha I think I can come up with squid though.

stocker
09-12-2011, 11:51 AM
go to your local asian market.

Geraldlim
09-12-2011, 12:52 PM
No such thing out here :(

TrouTracker
09-12-2011, 02:12 PM
It's very difficult finding fresh bait fish as Gerald mentions. I did do some research into where anglers can get this hard to find stuff. Originally, I thought that it would be easy, but it's not. Finally, I found the San Pedro Bait Company. They'll sell fresh bait fish, such as anchovies by the scoop/half scoop. The problem is getting to their bait barge in the marina. You'll have to make a few calls, after Googling their website. When you talk directly with the bait barge, you'll have to make your own arrangements to get them. Hint: You may have to pay them a few extra bucks to have them brought to you on land in San Pedro. But, if you treasure the fresh stuff, I'm sure it will be worth it. Good luck.
Barry

aquaflamz
09-12-2011, 04:09 PM
What about catching some bluegill in a cove and using cut bluegill for bait? That's as fresh as you can get!

IN2DEEP
09-12-2011, 05:45 PM
What about catching some bluegill in a cove and using cut bluegill for bait? That's as fresh as you can get!
I may be wrong, but I think that would be illegal

The two bait docks in MDR will sell you sardines
...and those you can walk up to

fish4keep
09-12-2011, 08:15 PM

If you're going to do that, you might as well use it live...... LOL

dixoncider
09-12-2011, 08:40 PM
I get my bait at the bait receiver in Los Angeles harbor. San Pedro Bait..Having a boat in the salt water does make it easier to get. Sardines seem to start going soft the minute they die, hard the keep looking good.

JV
09-13-2011, 10:00 PM
If you're going to do that, you might as well use it live...... LOL

it's a violation of fish & game code to use bluegill as bait in DVL

madmax951
09-14-2011, 12:07 AM
As mention before, asian markets are good places for bait, the closest place I can think off that is near DVL is

S M Seafood & Asian Market‎
333 South E Street
San Bernardino, CA 92401-2010
(909) 888-6520

they have small squid, giant squid, sardines, mackerel, live fish... they have it all. I usually stock up when ever I have an errand to do near it. They will throw old fish away during a certain time of the day, u can bargain to get it for free or get it fresh, pay for it, and they even cut it for you in strips or which ever way u want it.

I prefer the giant squid for its thickness and durability to multiple strikes. I bought some yesterday for $2.79 a pound.

I was told there's a place in Moreno Valley that has a good fish market by a fellow fisherman while at Redondo pier once, but I haven't found where that is.

Well good luck, and share any local places to get bait....:Wink:

http://www.freakingnews.com/Pictures/2/Giant-Squid.jpg

jpod
09-27-2011, 11:49 AM
i think the fish market in moreno valley is on perris blvd and cottonwood but i may be mistaken can any one confirm

oneyedeer
09-27-2011, 01:58 PM
What rig? and do you guys troll or just drop it deep?

pigdestroyer
09-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Anyone using bucktails out there. I mainly fish for LMB, but I would think if they were on the bigger shad out there, and they are so deep a bucktail should work pretty good.