PDA

View Full Version : Perris 9/10

CALFISHER4EVR
09-11-2011, 08:48 PM
I fished Perris on Saturday for the gills. I arrived at the lake early in the morning and went over to the south side of the island. I have this spot that I always go to because it has crappie, gills and bass in that same spot. I really do not know why the fish are always stacked up in the one spot because there is no structure in that area. It is just a good go to spot. I stopped there and fish metering just like usual. But not any fish on the bottom. Tried for a while for bass not one hit. Tried some crappie plastic curly tail grubs same thing. No takers. I then went over to the rocks and got a tap, tap and the fish did not commit totally on the bait. I did not meter any fish over in that area of the lake. So I went over to the
dam area into the deeper water and metered fish in the middle of the water column. Seems like it is that time of the year when the bigger gills are mostly chasing bait fish. The gills always seem to be shy
of bigger crank baits and jigs. I just could not get the small micro bait down in the water column where the fish are suspending. I could have fished but there was too much lake lice and I have a aluminum boat which is hard to keep steady while jigging in rough water. So I decided to troll the area with divers and micro cranks. HOOK UP!! The bite was constant throughout the lake after changing over to the troll and the fish where in the 8 to 10” range. The funny thing was fisherman where looking at me like I was crazy for trolling Perris. I guess nobody does it much. But it started from a slow day to a pretty good end. Thanks for reading.

fishmounter
09-12-2011, 06:17 AM
Nice! Any size to those fish? How many did you end up catching?

tree
09-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Yeah, nobody trolls perris regularly like they do at SARL lakes.

Kelster
09-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Except me on my float tube. I have caught most of my fish dragging a super duper and white crappie jig. All species, blue gill, red ear, crappie, LMB, and the small catfish in my avatar. Even caught the seven lb LMB on a crappie jig. Now you've let the secret out. The fish that I have caught that way have been aggressive, larger BG's, and put up the best fights. I stumbled on to it like you and if it aint broke why fix it. When the pattern changes I will have to also.

TheAsianGuy
09-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Except me on my float tube. I have caught most of my fish dragging a super duper and white crappie jig. All species, blue gill, red ear, crappie, LMB, and the small catfish in my avatar. Even caught the seven lb LMB on a crappie jig. Now you've let the secret out. The fish that I have caught that way have been aggressive, larger BG's, and put up the best fights. I stumbled on to it like you and if it aint broke why fix it. When the pattern changes I will have to also.

I troll in my tube and toon. Saw quite a few tubers using the trolling methods using cranks as well. Plenty of success using floating fly-lures from Betty's. Same goes for mini divers from Rapala. By the way, the cats are emerging from the depths during the early morning hours. Can't believe how many people start snagging cats between the depth of 10' to 25ft. Looks like the thermaclines are shifting higher during these odd weather days.

CALFISHER4EVR
09-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Nice! Any size to those fish? How many did you end up catching?

In the 8 to 10" range. Caught some decent size readear in the mix. Only kept 7 fish. I don't like to abuse the resource especially if they are good size. Lost a couple of decent fish from the good fight. I don't know what was on the end. The fish just came unbuttoned as we where reeling them in.