PDA

View Full Version : some help for anglers that are struggling finding fish

Matt_Magnone
09-10-2011, 10:27 PM
this is more or less for the guys that need a little bit of help on finding fish. there are most that know all this already, but for the newer anglers; this is how i went about finding my fish thursday morning having not had my own boat wet for 3 months.

been off the water in my boat for a while so the lake was in a sense a new lake for me. not because of water level or structure spots; more or less fish location and activity levels. most people think that because i work in a tackle shop i see what all the "successful" anglers are buying by "tracking" an anglers purchase but i dont do that kind of stuff. realistically when ringing a customer up my mind almost goes blank as im watching to make sure items are rung up properly. needless to say, things were interesting.

okay, were in september, surface temperature was 80 and change. im thinking that due to the warmer water there should be some activity on the shade lines up until the sun comes up then the fish would either cram up in the crap, suspend, or push out to deep water. launched and shot to the west end and on the first spot i metered i noticed pods of fish hitting the surface. i noticed there were fish on the graph hovering around 30 - 35ft. i adjusted my graph and bumped my sensitivity and realized that the thermocline was at that same 30-35ft zone and there were small pods of bait with the stripes or largies balled up beneath. cool, i have a location to work around. i metered the next 3 points. all 3 points had larger rock, trees and a defined piece of cover at 35'.

its now been 30 minutes since i launched and i have a lot of valuable information. knowing i have to be off the water by 8:45am i decided to leave these active fish to find new water and refine my ideas. shoot over towards the tower direction and start metering around. the graph read 50'.....40'.....35' bingo fish. okay cool. thermocline, fish, boulder on a point. consistency. picked up the rod and threw the bait out and within the first 3 casts stick a healthy 3 - 4 pounder. flipped the boat around and worked back across the point. this time i get bit and farm a fish on the hookset. same depth, same structure and cover.

pick the trolling motor up and move to the next point. drop the motor around that 35 -40 ft mark. first cast. BAM. 4 pounder.

3 casts later do it all over again. pick the motor up and move back down the lake. this time towards bathroom cove. metered around and fish were packed up on a high spot in at 30ish feet. from this spot to the next couple spots, the fishing was straight out of control. off the water by 8:45 with over 20 fish. some fish back to back, other times every couple casts.

think of fishing like a puzzle. dont just go fishing. hunt those little green pieces of crap down and make them eat something thats fake.

fishing is out of control right now its just that there are a lot of people keeping it quiet. there a lot of busters, there is 100% a topwater bite, there are fishing eating from the bank down to 60' and there a lot of nicer fish being caught.

the whole thing is, you have to hunt them right now. if you dont get bit, bail. keep searching and sooner or later you'll find something special.

kotton909
09-11-2011, 01:15 AM
thanks for the info will be hitting the lake in the am ill tell you how we do

Nessie Hunter
09-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Great stuff Matt, Thanks.................
Im a hard headed know it all (like most Bass anglers).
I followed you advice (man was it hard to do) and it turned out fantastic.
You da man.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Watching paint dry in 45 ft (early June), was not in my bag of tricks, but Dang it worked like a charm..

liteline
09-11-2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks Matt, what are you throwing at them?

dixoncider
09-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the info..see if I can put it to some use tomorrow..

HawgZWylde
09-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Welcome back Matt, bet it feels good. Good info, you are always so giving in helping out fellow anglers. Kudos to you!

"fishing is out of control right now its just that there are a lot of people keeping it quiet."

Lol, nawww, we wouldn't do that...

diamondbear
09-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Good advice Matt , Always like the way you present the Hunter part of what a fisherman should be .

Matt_Magnone
09-11-2011, 07:22 PM
anytime guys. this was pretty straight to the point type of report. i could have broken it down in more detail, but didnt really feel like talking about boat positioning, angles of sun or wind direction. a lot of small factors definitely contributed towards the big picture.

fishing is definitely good out there right now. i hope that a lot of anglers out there arent turned off from the lack of surface fish.

just remember guys, the fish only break on the surface if they have coralled the bait towards the surface. if you dont see the breakers but know their are tons of shad down deep; you're foolish to think the mayhem isnt happening. bet your *** they are destroying them deeper in the water column!!!!

HawgStalker
09-11-2011, 07:47 PM
You're a solid guy and a real asset to fishing Matt.

Keep up the good work!

outcast16
09-11-2011, 09:48 PM
what bait were you thowing??????????/

Matt_Magnone
09-12-2011, 09:23 PM
the main part of fishing is the fishing part. find what the fish want that given day, time, hour, minute or second. adjust your techniques accordingly. its not about what you want to throw, what the other guy was throwing or what you heard was the hot bait. the fish know what they want to eat at that given time. if we knew EXACTLY what they wanted 24/7 frankly it wouldnt be that rewarding getting out on the water. itd be flat out boring. the hunting aspect IS fishing. once you come up with the magic bait on the magic spot you found something special. thats what you need to cherish. my job at the shop is to teach. some people dont really see the greater picture. fishing isnt as cut and dry as "what baits are you throwing". dont get me wrong ask many an individual and i'll dish the dirt on the EXACT bite im on. often times i bite myself in the butt with that, but id rather make a beginners first trip a great experience than to put someone on a wild goose chase. ya know? i have no cliques, i have no secret bite for certain individuals nor do i withhold information. im an open book.

as far as baits, its not really that important. if you must ask though, i was fishing the jig. the color im throwing is a jig i hand tied and a trailer i hand poured. a blend between a spring craw and summer craw color. browns greens and oranges

there are plenty of baits out there that will kick the snot out of the fish. the dropshot, the c rig, the fluke, the senko. summer is here and the fish are clobbering everything. its just a matter of FINDING them. i have all the confidence in you guys going out there and getting on fish. it all boils down on if you're willing to put the time needed to understand why and how a fish hunts, how to hunt those fish while staying concealed and understanding the forage base early and late.

all the information is on the water. let nature tell you what to do instead of telling nature what to do.

good luck guys!

pigdestroyer
09-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Nice report Matt. I was out there Saturday too and your information is exactly what I found. Basically got bit every time we hit our target in that depth. Anyone looking for the larger bass, Matt has just told you where they're at.

Good luck out there.

Jeremy