PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid 9/9 afternoon

Boldfin
09-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Being mostly a fly-guy, I don't claim to really know what I'm doing when it comes to bass fishing, but this year I've done a fair amount of it. Along the way, I've taken a liking to it, and naturally, want to learn more. Yesterday, I had a chance to fish Pyramid with a friend who has done a lot of tournament bass fishing. Though I've started to gain some confidence in my ability to get bass on fly, this time I decided to concentrate on learning to fish with the conventional gear. I've done very little drop-shotting or crankbaiting, so these were the two techniques I came rigged for.

We got on the lake around 2pm, and it was still calm and hot. We were looking for some wind to get the fish up and feeding, but it just wasn't happening. Cranking wasn't working too well, so we switched over to drop-shotting. We metered some fish on a point, and set up there. A couple casts later, I had a nice thump, and set the hook on a decent fish. Took some line, and dogged me, but I landed it. A 2.5 lb fish... not bad for me.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/Boldfin/Pyramid/P9091495.jpg

A couple casts later, I hooked up again. A smaller fish this time, but considering I'd never caught more than one bass on drop shot in a day before, I was still stoked. My buddy hooked and landed a decent bass not long after that.

The wind finally came up around 4pm, and we started to see some bait getting chased and a few blowups. We pounded a rock wall with crankbaits and jerkbaits for the rest of our time on the lake. I got a 1lb smallie on a crankbait, and nothing more. We did not see any boils, but we metered what looked like stripers in deeper water in several areas.

CAPT'N
09-11-2011, 05:28 AM
Nice fish Rob!

dixoncider
09-11-2011, 07:53 AM
"We were looking for some wind to get the fish up" seems like every time I go to Pyramid you don't have to wait long for the wind...Thanks for the report..