PDA

View Full Version : BBL Sept 10

etaggart
09-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Came up for a quick afternoon meeting with a forester - and morning fishing.

Woke at 4am to thunderstorms - got worse by 5am - figured I'd just sleep-in. Then it stopped - looked like it might clear a bit, so hit the water in the tube at about 6:30.

Stiff wind blowing to the west - tried the Grout Bay jetty. Water was a mess, rough, windy and loaded with pine pollen - bad visibility. Couldn't get anything by the jetty, but picked up bunch of crappie on the way kicking over there.

Decided to let the wind drift me over to windy point to work for some trout. Talked to a guy working the dock at the point who said he picked up a 3lb smallie. He moved off, so I worked it with a fly for a while. Picked up lots of crappie - all good size at 10 or 11 inches under the docks.

Then got a slow but really solid hit. Took 5 or 10 minutes, but finally landed a 2lb 13oz bass. Heck of a fight, I just kept working him with tension on the line until he tired out. That was the first good-size bass I've caught on the fly.

Picked up two more eventually - both of them were smaller, but really good fights.

Also picked up a little dink.

Overall I picked up a few dozen big crappie - and the three bass (plus the dink).

Had to stop at 11:30 and the winds seemed to be dying down. Not sure how the afternoon bite was, but had to get down the hill.

Joe emailed pix of a bass slay at the Observatory. He'll probably post-em up here or on scsurffishing.

Cheers,

Eric

Karyn
09-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Nice report : )Looks like fun! Tomorrow should be perfect! Was thinking about going up, putting the Jeep in 4x4 and hitting either BBL, Glass St or Bear Creek.

Btbdodgers
09-10-2011, 08:44 PM
nice!!!!! good job!!!!!!!

jmytuna
09-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Nice smallies
Wind pushed me off the water by 9
you fishing sun?

etaggart
09-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Nope - can't fish Sunday :( Had to come back down the hill for a birthday party.

XMrxSEAUx
09-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Nope - can't fish Sunday :( Had to come back down the hill for a birthday party.

Nice fishing there! another good day on the tube. Were the chops huge as the wind picked up?

etaggart
09-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Choppy as hell! If I hadn't been catching it would have driven me off the water ;)

Kelster
09-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Way to wait it out, by the looks of the chop I don't think I would have taken my tube. Wtg

bowler
09-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Nice fish. I been up there twice in the last few weeks been getting lots of dink smallies and largemouth. Plus few trout and crappie.

M@M
09-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Nice sized crappies!! That water can get pretty rough out there when the winds blowing(I was out on a kayak there once lol) ....must be wild in a tube!!...Crappie at the docks, Duane Boyer?.....or another? Last time I was there weeds were super thick....good to hear the fish are still biting!.....thanks for the report ....getting out there on a day like that paid off! :Thumbs Up:

fishtales
09-17-2011, 09:26 PM
It looks like a couple of the bass had anchor worms. I guess that comes with warm water at BBL. I used to fish there a lot, mostly for trout. Then one year I noticed something on the side of the fish. I talked with the guy who used to own a sporting goods store up there and he said it was nothing to be concerned about. But still...

HawgStalker
09-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Nice report! Those are some beautiful smallies...