PDA

View Full Version : g. loomis vs. phenix trout rods

bluecat
09-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Hey guys,
that do you guys prefer g loomis or phenix trout rods, i have both .
i love the tsr series 901-2 ,thinkin about the 7 1/2 ft ph elixer.

thanks,

billy b
09-13-2011, 12:16 PM
I have about 10 GLooms and have been totally happy ... have to admit I've used their warranty a few times ... and they were totally cool. Hope I don't need it for a while ... because it's gone up to $100 now, I believe.

Wouldn't ever by a Phenix again. I believe they're guilty of misrepresentation. I wanted a rod longer than 7 feet and GL didn't have one at the time ... so I followed all the hype on the board and got the 7'8 Mirage ... which turned out to be a 7 foot rod with a longer butt on it ... which actually gets in the way.

I'll probably sell it on the board and get a custom next season.

Blackwhitemax
09-13-2011, 12:21 PM
I would go with Phenix rods. I have using Phenix since when it use to be a small company. Look at the company now which has now expanded.

1HR2BBL
09-13-2011, 12:29 PM
G Loomis.... older company then Phenix, quality appears to have stayed the same since Gary Loomis sold them to Shimano. I have a 20-25 yr old SJR 720 IMX that I still love. Gary was a pioneer with graphite, an aerospace engineer helping to design the skin for the stealth bomber and such. Based in Washington, they started with steelhead and fly rods I believe, then expanded into bass and inshore about 15 yrs ago.

I've always felt Phenix has been trying to copy them, but their quality has always been just below G Loomis.

Both are amongst the better rod builders though, can't really go wrong as long as you find the rod you like.

Troutman65
09-13-2011, 12:32 PM
I own both . Like them both.

RiverWalker
09-13-2011, 12:56 PM
I personally love both rod makers and agree with most of the comments! From my experience and personal opinion, GL rods are a little better in quality. Phenix trout rods look better and are easier on the pockets. Some people on this board had problems with their Phenix rods breaking but I personally haven't had that problem yet. I own a 6'6 Elixer, 6' Mirage, and a 5'6 Mirage and absolutely love them. They're currently my 'go to' trout rods from my collection. To me it all comes down to how much your willing to pay and preference. As others have mentioned, you can't go wrong either way!

Ifishtoolittle
09-13-2011, 02:36 PM
I personally love both rod makers and agree with most of the comments! From my experience and personal opinion, GL rods are a little better in quality. Phenix trout rods look better and are easier on the pockets. Some people on this board had problems with their Phenix rods breaking but I personally haven't had that problem yet. I own a 6'6 Elixer, 6' Mirage, and a 5'6 Mirage and absolutely love them. They're currently my 'go to' trout rods from my collection. To me it all comes down to how much your willing to pay and preference. As others have mentioned, you can't go wrong either way!

Here's the problem with people breaking their rods, (ROFL), you just need to care for it A LOT and not abuse it!

RiverWalker
09-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Completely agree! I'm a little OCD when it comes to taking care of my Rods and reels so yah, I do try to take really good care of my gear. I've heard of people breaking GL's too. Every rod is different and some may have unseen weak spots and are lemons. You never know but for the most part, I agree that most broken rods get broken by people who don't take care of their gear properly. You could buy a 100,000 car and it may not last as long as someone who bought a 15,000 car if you abuse it.

Here's the problem with people breaking their rods, (ROFL), you just need to care for it A LOT and not abuse it!

Poxy Boggards
09-14-2011, 03:05 PM
I own a 7'6" Elixer, and it is probably my favorite rod for trout fishing. It is a very versitile rod that you can jig, split shot, drop shot and even bait and wait with. I think the rod quality is excellent. Can't go wrong with a 7'6" Elixer.

fishindude
10-03-2011, 08:49 PM
I have about 10 GLooms and have been totally happy ... have to admit I've used their warranty a few times ... and they were totally cool. Hope I don't need it for a while ... because it's gone up to $100 now, I believe.

Wouldn't ever by a Phenix again. I believe they're guilty of misrepresentation. I wanted a rod l01... which turned out to be a 7 foot rod with a longer butt on it ... which actually gets in the way.

I'll probably sell it on the board and get a custom next season.

I agree about the Mirage. I sold my 7'7 Mirage and got a Loomis GL2 861STJR(new for 2011). Really happy with the Loomis and have no regrets on the Mirage.

tailchaser001
10-05-2011, 09:13 PM
All I can say is that it would really tuff to beat the G-Loomis TSR rods. Especially the GLX version. These things are the bomb trout rods.

billy b
10-06-2011, 10:25 AM
All I can say is that it would really tuff to beat the G-Loomis TSR rods. Especially the GLX version. These things are the bomb trout rods.

Is that the one that has their new 7.5 footer (supposedly for mini jigs?)

Troutcz swimbait
10-06-2011, 06:52 PM
i would go with phenix rods. I have using phenix since when it use to be a small company. Look at the company now which has now expanded.

x2........

tailchaser001
10-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Is that the one that has their new 7.5 footer (supposedly for mini jigs?)

I use the TSR862 which is a 7'2. Both GLX and non GLX models are great in their own right. GLX will feel a tab bit stiffer. These are steller trout rods. Really sensitive. Great on the mini-jigs or a split shot. It's been good for everything.

TroutOnly
10-07-2011, 07:17 AM
G-loomis,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,patrick i should slap you,,,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

tailchaser001
10-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Another one worth checking out are the new G-Loomis GL2 trout rods. Priced right and specs are dead on.

keepemlo
10-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Ok guys vie been q looms guy but man those phenix rods look great! I'm going down to 1 pnd test what reel do you think is a good micro reel with really smooth drags?....

sesgia
10-18-2011, 02:00 AM
g loomis is not what is use to be!!! and for the price phenix is better and the workmanship is much better
and the loomis warranty policy have change along with there price.