PDA

View Full Version : Ahawl!! What a great short dayPoseidon

SP Dan
09-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Short report.
Air temp 60 deg., Surf 1-2 ft., Swell 1-ft, H20 66 deg., light rain, wind 10 mph NE, incoming tide 2.3' at 6:00 AM and 4.8' by 9:00 AM. Grey light. No one around but me. No salad! Finally! Big Grin:
Assault tactics: LC 110 American Shad
Feet wet at 6:15 AM.
6:40 AM BLAM!! 21" hali. :Shocked: I remember that head shake!! Landed it pretty quickly. Released. I'm thinking that there's got to be more Hali's sneaking around in that same spot!
7:10 AM Bump and tug. A cute Bat Ray. Released.
7:20 AM again....Bump and tug. A cute Shovel nose shark. Released.
It's now been a spell between bites and I starting to plead with Poseidon himself when at 7:28 AM...............shake, shake...pull....BENDO!! At 7:47 AM finally landed it! 46" 8.25 lb. Shovel Nose! Oh...did I mention that it snapped :Angry:my Shimano Clarus rod after 17 minutes of pealing the line off the spool and yet I was able to grab the line (broken rod and all) by hand and still was able to land the beast! I was able to regain my LC 110 lure! NOW... That's what I'm talking about here!! Getting in the trenches with the enemy!!!
8:00 AM headed home to set up another rod for tomorrow mornings assault.
I've got plenty of photos but have difficulty posting, sorry. I'll give it a try later. For now, I'm off to my local tackle shop to turn in my Shimano for the life time replacement warranty.
SP Dan <"))><
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=32900&d=1316130432

Gray light...21" short Hali. Released.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=32902&d=1316131440

46 1/2" 8 1/4 lb Shovel Nose "Rod Buster" Released.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=32903&d=1316132069

Shamino Clarus A proper ending....a sad celebration...SALUTE!!!

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=32905&d=1316133040

Same short Hali, I'm just practicing on how just to shrink the size of my photos prior to attempting my would be posting pictures here. Thank you for reading my thread. <"))><

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=32906&d=1316141540

Nipple Twister
09-10-2011, 02:13 PM
...way do go you animal:Bug Eyes:!!!!! :Applause: Nice report and way to hang tough, nicely done. :Beer Toast: :Thumbs Up: :Dancing Banana:

DockRat
09-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Great report. Bummer about your rod.
DR

Wingnut
09-10-2011, 05:43 PM
Dan, check out this thread on posting photos.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?16012-How-to-load-full-size-photos-to-FNN-using-PhotoBucket.Com

Sounds like you had one heck of a morning on the battlefield. Way to tame the enemy submarine and getting back your special ordinance. :Wink: Bummer about the rod, but yes, the warranty will take care of that. :Big Grin:

You're getting closer to getting that legal Hali... :Envious: Had a pretty decent session myself this morning, good luck tomorrow. :Cool:

Which Way Out
09-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Dan where you been?

Sorry about the Rod but you know the right guy to see.......
Otherwise congrats and thanks for the report

SP Dan
09-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Hey NT!
Thank you for all of your incouragement. You had a pretty good vacation I'd say! You have been an inspiration to me to hang in there.
Thanx!
SP Dan <"))><

SP Dan
09-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Thanks DR,
I sent it back to Shimano this AM, and will have it back in two weeks. It's just a rod. I have another new rod that I've been wanting to try out. A St. Croix 9'-6" 1/4- 1 1/4oz 8-17-lb. It's all set up and in the truck just waiting on me. I bought a Shimano Stradic CI4-3000 for this rod but still waiting on it's arrival.
Stay wet and hit them hard in the trenches where it counts!
Good Fishing! :Cool:
SP Dan <"))><

SP Dan
09-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Hey WN,
Yeah! Had a blast this AM. Had to cut the session a bit short this AM due to equipment failure. So tossed the stix and went hand to hand with the enemy.
I also knew that at some point of my journey, that I would have Poseidon to pay.
FYI...I did pay attention to our past conversations and I give you the credit for my success today! :Worship: Thank you for your guidance and thank you S.W.A.T. members!
SP Dan <"))><

blackwater
09-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Now that's getting down and dirty with the enemy. :Twisted:
Exciting session for sure. :Shocked: The rod can be replaced, no big deal. The experience is priceless. :Wink:

yankdez
09-12-2011, 12:58 AM
good job on the old school hand fishing technique. what's the model name of your new croix rod? i was looking for something similar.

SP Dan
09-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Hey yankdez!
I'll see if it has a name tonight when I get home from work.
SP Dan :Cool: <"))><

SP Dan
09-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks blackwater!
yes, I had a blast!! The only problem with sending in the rod, is the amount of time it will take to get it back. 2-3 weeks.
You're right tho, no big dea about the rodl! I thought it was kind of cool! I've never had a rod snap with a fish on! I have a 9'-6" St. Croix rod that I got to take out on Sunday (loved it) and I have a 8'-6" G-Loomis rod that I haven't tried yet. I'm trying to set up my back pack so that I can carry two rods and fish with the third. 1) lure, 2) drop shot, 3) corbina c-rig. I'll see how that works out. lol.

SP Dan
09-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Hey yankdez,
the rod's name is:

St. Croix, Wild River /WS 96MHF2, 2- piece.

I took it out on Sunday morning and WOW!! With the fast action tip, I could feel things much more clearly, if you can understand what it is I'm trying to say here. A much more sensitive rod but still with some good strength. It seemed that I was also getting a bit more distance from my casts. I was throwing a LC 110 lure, it weighs approx 5/8 oz.

SP Dan <")))><

yankdez
09-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks for getting back to me Dan. I'm gonna have to go out and feel this rod for myself, though I'm basically already sold since its a Croix. You must be able to cast that LC a mile at 9'6"!

PONTOON
09-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Dan,

I was reading your post and got goose bumps just thinking about your day on the water in search of a legal flatty. Way to stick in there and that had to be a rush when the rod broke!:Shocked:
Way to perservere and I'm going to be rooting for you to make your goal and I'm looking forward to your reports.:Cool:

SP Dan
09-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Hey NT,
I just figuring out how to post pictures in site! Check it out!
SP Dan <"))><

SP Dan
09-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Hey PONTOON,
I'M just figuring out how to post pictures on site! Check it out!
SP Dan <"))><

murrieta angler
09-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Hey Dan,
Nice day out in the water for sure.
Sorry to hear about your rod but you seem to have things taken care of already.
I did recieve your PM and we will definately hit the surf together in the near future.
Robert
<><