PDA

View Full Version : Is it "chumming" if you aren't "angling?"

Cartman
09-10-2011, 09:53 AM
I have never been clear on these DFG regulations, and I wonder if anybody has any idea about this. Does this mean that as long as you aren't fishing with a hook and line at the time, that it is legal to "feed" an area to get the fish used to coming to a particular spot so you can come back another time and catch them? There doesn't seem to be any place on the DFG website for asking a question like this.

1.32. Chumming.
Placing any material in the water, other than on a hook while angling, for the purpose of attracting fish to a particular area in order that they may be taken.

1.05. Angling.
To take fish by hook and line with the line held in the hand, or with the line attached to a pole or rod held in the hand or closely attended in such manner that the fish voluntarily takes the bait or lure in its mouth.

seal
09-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Read again. What it says is you CAN place a material on a hook (chovies etc...) and place it in the water but you CAN'T place any materials in the lake not on a hook (like chovies) to attract fish, 2 separate statements, it's their way of clarifying that something can be placed in the water to attract fish but only if it's on a hook.

Nice try though!

fish-o-haulic
09-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Read again. What it says is you CAN place a material on a hook (chovies etc...) and place it in the water but you CAN'T place any materials in the lake not on a hook (like chovies) to attract fish, 2 separate statements, it's their way of clarifying that something can be placed in the water to attract fish but only if it's on a hook.

Nice try though!

I think he was just trying to understand the rules cuz honestly i often get regs mixed up.

Thisfool
09-10-2011, 01:58 PM

Nice try though!

read it again it says "while angling" as in while you are actively trying to fish. and neither one of those of those statements say what one can or cant do they are simply definitions of the words.

im sure the reg reads something like "chumming is prohibited" then he thought to him self well what is the definition of chumming. oh chumming is placing any material in the water other then that on a hook while angling. which im sure to him implied that if it specify s a time in which you cant do it which in this case is while "angling" there must be a time that he is aloud to do it. so what is the definition of angling, basically using a line and good to get fish to willingly take bait by the mouth.

i think the guy is asking if he is aloud to create a hot spot buy making it foraging area for fish by chumming. then returning to that spot at a later date to fish it.

i think he found him self a nice little loop hole and unless there are park regulations prohibiting him from well basically dumping hes in the clear to chum so long as he is not fishing while he chums.

BALLERONBUDGET
09-10-2011, 02:31 PM
salt water boats do it... get to spot throw chovies and squids over ur hear till ur covered in scales and ink. ur favorite white ts dont last an hour with all the blood scales and ink a flying...

CraigH
09-10-2011, 06:28 PM
From the questions and answers section of the DFG website:

Question: If I am trying to attract fish to a spot to fish them, can I sink some chum there? I would tie the chum to a rope that’s connected to a buoy, throw it overboard and then let it soak. In a couple of hours I’d come back and first retrieve my chum, rope and buoy, and then would fish on that spot. Is there any problem with this? (Ricky Z.)

Answer: Chumming in inland waters is generally illegal, but in the following locations (CCR Title 14, section 2.40), it is allowed:

1. The Colorado River District, where only the approved bait fishes for the District may be used as chum (CCR Title 14, section 4.15) except in the Salton Sea, where corn may also be used.

2. The Carquinez Strait and Suisun Bay and their tributaries and saltwater tributaries.

3. The Sacramento River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from Interstate 80 bridge.

4. The San Joaquin River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from Interstate 5 bridge.

Chumming is not prohibited in the ocean.

Troutcz swimbait
09-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Let me guess,by reading your last report you want to chum a spot for carp at Legg.

Cartman
09-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Let me guess,by reading your last report you want to chum a spot for carp at Legg.

Actually I'm thinking it wouldn't be chumming if I wasn't angling at the time. I was fishing at Santa Fe once when this guy comes by and throws in handfuls of catfood and kitchen scraps into this one place. He said he had been doing it every couple of days for weeks. I just happened to have fished in the exact same spot a week earlier and had caught four catfish. This was in the spring before any stocking and from morning to mid day. In England it is common to "feed" an area for weeks before springing bait on it, especially for carp. I have to keep reading those regs.

If any DFG guys actually are reading these posts I would appreciate your two cents.

eddiefishtaco
09-10-2011, 09:39 PM
so we can attach a big bag of chum to an line with a hook,
and with the other rod cast the lure or bait?

Cartman
09-11-2011, 07:44 AM
so we can attach a big bag of chum to an line with a hook,
and with the other rod cast the lure or bait?

That actually is a method of fishing that is called incidentally, "method fishing." You use a method feeder and attach it to your line with stuff in it that fish like and cast it out with your bait. You can also fill a PVA bag with chum and attach that to your hook along with your bait. The PVA will dissolve and spill the chum to the bottom all around your hook bait. Works if you're fishing the bottom obviously. There are ways to push the envelope on chumming.

DockRat
09-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Many lakes, parks, and cities have laws against feeding wildlife.
In Long Beach for example they have signs posted 'Do not feed wildlife LB Code xxx xxx'
Looked up some LB Laws. DR

Title 16 PUBLIC FACILITIES AND HISTORICAL LANDMARKS

Chapter 16.16 PARKS AND BEACHES 2 - Long Beach, California - Municipal Code

they do not disturb plants or wildlife .... B. Swim, bathe or wade, or plant, or release any animal, or feed ... or provide water for any animal

Chapter 21.15 DEFINITIONS* - Long Beach, California - Municipal Code

harm to humans, domestic livestock or wildlife .... Hazardous material includes extremely hazardous material harm to humans, domestic livestock or wildlife .... Hazardous waste includes extremely hazardous waste a building used to shelter and feed ... horses or ponies which are used damage to humans, domestic livestock or wildlife ... .

C. Plant, water, or nourish any plant, or release any animal, or feed or provide water for any animal except with the permission of the director of parks, recreation and marine.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientID=16115&stateID=5&statename=California

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildlife
Wildlife includes all non-domesticated plants, animals and other organisms. Domesticating wild plant and animal species for human benefit has occurred many times all over the planet, and has a major impact on the environment, both positive and negative. Wildlife can be found in all ecosystems. Deserts, rain forests, plains, and other areas including the most developed urban sites, all have distinct forms of wildlife. While the term in popular culture usually refers to animals that are untouched by human factors, most scientists agree that wildlife around the world is impacted by human activities.

seal
09-11-2011, 12:31 PM
read it again it says "while angling" as in while you are actively trying to fish. and neither one of those of those statements say what one can or cant do they are simply definitions of the words.

Thisfool I still think the wording is what I thought it was after reading, then re-reading and re-reading again, and again etc... But shouldn't be that hard to understand the DFG could have been much clearer with the wording.

Could have gone something like this-

"At no time is it legal to attract fish by placing substances in the water unless you are using legal angling methods and the substance you are using to attract the fish is attached to a hook."

But I'm sure some would read my version and would be confused, but long and short of it no baiting an area with chum (unless of course it's in the areas that have been designated as ok to chum) but you can use bait on a hook to catch fish. I'm getting another DFG regs related headache!

seal
09-11-2011, 12:33 PM
I think he was just trying to understand the rules cuz honestly i often get regs mixed up.

Dude I know that that's why I replied trying to help!

seal
09-11-2011, 12:42 PM
If any DFG guys actually are reading these posts I would appreciate your two cents.

Cartman DFG guy not needed it's illegal to do and if you saw others "baiting" an area then coming back later they were breaking the law. Now why it's illegal, send another question into the DFG on that one cause I'm not altogether sure, I could guess though.

JapanRon
09-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi Cartman,

Actually, as far as I'm concerned .... anything natural or man/woman-made that can be either eaten by or serves as an attractant to fishys is 'chum' !! :)

Disgusting to watch this couple of idiots using PowerBait last year on Bishop Creek actually chum that garbage in the same pool I'm flyfishing. No cell phone so ...... dang !! Bottom litered with that crap but ....... that late afternoon .... I got 'em on top right in the faces of this 'meat hog' couple !! ha ha ha

Anybody could see from the pattern that the place where they fished was being chummed !!

JapanRon

kendo
09-12-2011, 09:44 AM
What I wonder is it considered chumming if you put a load of bait in a huge PVA bag then put your hook in the bag and cast out? If you dont know what a PVA bag is, it is a plastic type bag that melts in the water. You would fill it with what ever bait you wanted to use (people use dog food and the such for catfish) and put your hook and weight in the bag and throw it out. Once hitting the water the bag would melt and disperse your bait. Maybe this is a loophole?

Cartman
09-13-2011, 07:10 AM
What I wonder is it considered chumming if you put a load of bait in a huge PVA bag then put your hook in the bag and cast out? If you dont know what a PVA bag is, it is a plastic type bag that melts in the water. You would fill it with what ever bait you wanted to use (people use dog food and the such for catfish) and put your hook and weight in the bag and throw it out. Once hitting the water the bag would melt and disperse your bait. Maybe this is a loophole?

That's a good point. I have used PVA bags. They do contain bait, and they are attached to the hook. Never seemed to do me any good, though.