PDA

View Full Version : What's in a Striper's stomach

skunked again
09-09-2011, 09:14 PM
I had the oppurtunity to fish my favorite lake today with a few friends. :Fishing Hole: In the water by 7. We went over to the west end to snoop around and fish where all the boats were near Saddle Dam. Temperature was so much more bearable at low 90s. I could actually fish and not put up the bimini cover.

Within 2 mins of dropping a sardine, my friend hooks up and looses his first striper ever. Ten minutes later he hooks up and fish #1 on, and lands his 1st 3 lb striper.

A few moments later my other friend hooks up and lands his first striper on 6 lb test. He's totally nuts about catching such a big 3 lb striper, which is the biggest fish he had ever caught.

About 10 am I drop a chunk of sardine down into the depths and before I engage my reel, line starts to peel from under my thumb at a very fast pace. I set the hook and this fish screams off line on my bait caster with 10 lb line. There was no stopping him as he peeled off line for what seemed like a minute. I could feel him shaking his head and knew he was a big fish. After the tug of war with him pulling drag most of the time I could see color. Staring at his side view in the water, we couldnt believe how big he was. I figured he was a chunky monkey, but did not expect him to be my personal best. Scale read 8.5 lb and 30 inches. Woohooo! :Shocked:

32837He was a very hungry fish and pretty much had nothing on his mind but sardines. It seemed all the other fishermen were feeding him. He barfed up about 10 pieces of cut bait and there was nothing else in his stomach.

Long story short, it was an incredible day. The guys were totally stoked at the results for the day. Between the 3 of us, we were 2 shy of the limit on Stripers. Most fish 2 to 4 lbs. Since we could not stick anymore fish in the baitwell and choosing fresh fish over quantity we called it a day at 12 noon.

I cleaned 9 of these and did an inspection on all of there bellies. 3 of the 9 fish had cut sardines in there bellies as below.

One of them had a long minnow in his belly and about a mouth full of shrimp. They say there are glass minnows in the lake. Maybe that's what it is. The shrimp were barely over 3/8" long. It's hard to see but they are the grey in the left of the picture and the scattered grey spots on the bigger fish it ate. I can't see this big of a fish eating scattered tiny shrimp. Maybe he sucked in a mouthfull of a cloud of baby shrimp.

This is zoomed version.

Good luck and tight lines!

karlow
09-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Nice work!
Skinner?

whopperstopper
09-09-2011, 09:47 PM
:Skunk:Very nice good job...Dvl stripeys...not skunked again...unless you brought some skunk ..lol

Sublime-Steve
09-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Niiiiice! looks like you tore it up out there.. intresting to see what's in there stomach's. where does the shrimp come from?

skunked again
09-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Yes DVL. Not living up to my name. lol, I am over due for a limit though.

bob sr
09-10-2011, 05:39 AM
what a day!..............question: where you flylining those sardines, or were you using some type of weight(sinkers) to get those 'dines dowm and into the "zone"?

MOON
09-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Hey we fished the same area we were in the GREEN Crestliner left the same time as you no more room in the fish hold...our biggest was about 9lb..

HawgStalker
09-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Congrats on the PB!

Glad to see there wasn't any lmb in that stomach... damn stripers!

skunked again
09-10-2011, 10:39 AM
I did you see you guys yesterday. That was a really nice striper you picked up in August!

Desertfishen2
09-10-2011, 02:28 PM
congrats on another good day and good job putting your friends on fish. The trip with GREGG pays off. Chad and I will be contacting you about the lmb trip.

huukup12
09-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Excellent report...WTG for PB striper Skunked Again. Were you anchoring or drifting ?
thx, j

diamondbear
09-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Great report , congrats on the PB . Looks like you did well . I was the only boat trolling around the group of 15-20 boats out there and got spanked with only 4 little ones . Tomarrow should be good thou , but I'll be hiking .

skunked again
09-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Niiiiice! looks like you tore it up out there.. intresting to see what's in there stomach's. where does the shrimp come from?

They must live in the lake. I saw a post about a week ago with a shrimp about 1.5" long in a striper belly. These must be the babies.

skunked again
09-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Great report , congrats on the PB . Looks like you did well . I was the only boat trolling around the group of 15-20 boats out there and got spanked with only 4 little ones . Tomarrow should be good thou , but I'll be hiking .

Good job with hooking on the troll. That was our original intention. GL hiking the lake.

skunked again
09-10-2011, 08:08 PM
congrats on another good day and good job putting your friends on fish. The trip with GREGG pays off. Chad and I will be contacting you about the lmb trip.

Thanks, and I am definately looking forward to it.

skunked again
09-10-2011, 08:22 PM
what a day!..............question: where you flylining those sardines, or were you using some type of weight(sinkers) to get those 'dines dowm and into the "zone"?

Sent you a PM.

skunked again
09-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Excellent report...WTG for PB striper Skunked Again. Were you anchoring or drifting ?
thx, j

Mostly anchored, did a littel of both.

aquaflamz
09-11-2011, 01:21 PM
I was out there with two friends on a rental. We didn't hook up with any striper but we were right there with all of the other boats that morning. We were dropping frozen anchovies with a weight and about a 3ft leader and also dropping and jigging a medium crocodile. CAUGHT NOTHING. One guy there said fresh mackerel catches the striper 10 to 1 compared to frozen anchovies. I'm going back this Tuesday and going to try again. What should I try? I will definitely get some fresh mackerel from my local store for bait. It looked like some of the other boats out there were catching on jigs cuz I saw them dropping them down and then reeling/jigging it in. What jigs are working? One of the marina staff also told me guys use home made white flys made from feathers. I'd like to try and make some myself. Any help here is appreciated. I'm not too knowledgeable on striper. I usually do more large mouth bass fishing.

diamondbear
09-11-2011, 02:49 PM
My stripers from yesterday had full stomachs and it seemed like digested shad put thru a blender ha , last week my stripers from a different part of lk. had a shrimp and full size shads in there stomachs . Iam watching and learning about the bait thing at DVL but trolling is my thing .

skunked again
09-11-2011, 03:44 PM
My stripers from yesterday had full stomachs and it seemed like digested shad put thru a blender ha , last week my stripers from a different part of lk. had a shrimp and full size shads in there stomachs . Iam watching and learning about the bait thing at DVL but trolling is my thing .

Thanks, I am always interested in what is in there bellies and glad someone chimed in.

skunked again
09-11-2011, 03:54 PM
I was out there with two friends on a rental. We didn't hook up with any striper but we were right there with all of the other boats that morning. We were dropping frozen anchovies with a weight and about a 3ft leader and also dropping and jigging a medium crocodile. CAUGHT NOTHING. One guy there said fresh mackerel catches the striper 10 to 1 compared to frozen anchovies. I'm going back this Tuesday and going to try again. What should I try? I will definitely get some fresh mackerel from my local store for bait. It looked like some of the other boats out there were catching on jigs cuz I saw them dropping them down and then reeling/jigging it in. What jigs are working? One of the marina staff also told me guys use home made white flys made from feathers. I'd like to try and make some myself. Any help here is appreciated. I'm not too knowledgeable on striper. I usually do more large mouth bass fishing.

Pm was sent to you.

JigStop
09-13-2011, 12:02 PM
It is imperative that everybody try to help cull these striper. Yes even you dedicated bass dudes. The more you cull, the healthier the LMB population will be.

Surfnsnowboard3
09-13-2011, 02:28 PM
It is imperative that everybody try to help cull these striper. Yes even you dedicated bass dudes. The more you cull, the healthier the LMB population will be.

That is NOT true. Do some research before you post something like this. There are MANY threads on here and online disproving your theory.

TroutOnly
09-13-2011, 02:39 PM
them stripers had chovie or dine pieces in there stomachs from the chumming people do.hawgstalker you better get a grip,the stripers of all sizes eat the bass, the longer the time goes the less bass you will see and the less larger ones. they have already distroyed the holdover trout population,the bass and bluegills and crappies will slowly deminish as the striper population grows . anybody whoes been around the so cal and knows the fishing history of castaic pyramid silverwood knows what happens. and when the big striper cows can put out over a million eggs everything else is doomed,,,,,,,,,youre right jigstop but i dont know if enough people can slay enough of them ,year round,,,,,,,,,,

Hooked Up
09-13-2011, 03:02 PM
I agree with T/O. From personal experience the LMB and Trout fishing at the above mentioned lakes is not NEARLY as good as it used to be before the stripers came in via the California aqueduct (Skinner too)!

DarkShadow
09-13-2011, 03:50 PM
That is NOT true. Do some research before you post something like this. There are MANY threads on here and online disproving your theory.

Sweet!

Can you point me to some?

I'd like to get educated on the nuances of landlocked stripers in Southern California.

Where's Kwin/Guisti when you need 'em?

Geraldlim
09-13-2011, 05:45 PM

At the seminar at Last Chance earlier in the year Kwin said that because stripers are so much more prolific breeders than freshwater fish anglers should remove as many stripers as legally possible or else they could eat up all the bait and fishes including stripers and bass would get smaller and smaller. So yes, according to DFG biologist Kwin the more you cull the striper population the healthier it is for the lake and the LMB.

Surfnsnowboard3
09-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Sweet!

Can you point me to some?

I'd like to get educated on the nuances of landlocked stripers in Southern California.

Where's Kwin/Guisti when you need 'em?

I retract what I said. I thought he meant you should NOT be keeping stripers. I read it wrong.

Surfnsnowboard3
09-13-2011, 05:49 PM
At the seminar at Last Chance earlier in the year Kwin said that because stripers are so much more prolific breeders than freshwater fish anglers should remove as many stripers as legally possible or else they could eat up all the bait and fishes including stripers and bass would get smaller and smaller. So yes, according to DFG biologist Kwin the more you cull the striper population the healthier it is for the lake and the LMB.

I heard the same thing from Kwin. Again, I retract what I said. I read his post wrOng. KILL THE STRIPERS!

Geraldlim
09-13-2011, 05:53 PM
You can only eat so much. I wish there was a "striper giveaway bin or stringer" at the dock so excess stripers could be put there so anyone wanting stripers could take what they wanted from there for free. Sometimes I release them cuz I have enough and my giveaway list is all used up.

HawgZWylde
09-13-2011, 06:30 PM
them stripers had chovie or dine pieces in there stomachs from the chumming people do.hawgstalker you better get a grip,the stripers of all sizes eat the bass, the longer the time goes the less bass you will see and the less larger ones. they have already distroyed the holdover trout population,the bass and bluegills and crappies will slowly deminish as the striper population grows . anybody whoes been around the so cal and knows the fishing history of castaic pyramid silverwood knows what happens. and when the big striper cows can put out over a million eggs everything else is doomed,,,,,,,,,youre right jigstop but i dont know if enough people can slay enough of them ,year round,,,,,,,,,,

That's exactly right Bob. The effects are already showing as there are a few missing generations of LMB's already. Last Friday we came in and DFG were doing a survey on the amount and size of LMB's we caught. They told me straight out that the Striper indeed were having a negative impact on the fishery. Something a lot of us already knew. Funny how just a few months ago they were still in denial on this subject. I can only imagine what could have been. Still catching good numbers, but their either dinks or 2-4 lbrs with the occasional 5+. Extremely rare to get anything over that. At this stage in this lakes history, many more 5-8lbrs and up should be being brought in. The culprit here seems to be when you combine the super low lake level of a couple of years ago, with tens of thousands of Stripers, they devoured a couple of generations of LMB's AND it's forage. That's strictly from an anglers perspective, but it makes sense to me...

TroutOnly
09-13-2011, 07:16 PM
I KNOW IVE BEEN RIGHT ABOUT THE STRIPERS,I FOUND OUT DURING THE EARLY EIGHTYS,,,,,,,,SO ITS KILL-KILL-KILL MR STRIPEY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,,

HawgZWylde
09-13-2011, 07:44 PM
I KNOW IVE BEEN RIGHT ABOUT THE STRIPERS,I FOUND OUT DURING THE EARLY EIGHTYS,,,,,,,,SO ITS KILL-KILL-KILL MR STRIPEY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,,

The early eighties, damn those were some good years... I'm with ya Bob, slay the SOB's...

Stormcrow
09-13-2011, 08:08 PM
They make GREAT tacos!

ProducerPlug
09-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Serious question for everyone that's "anti-striper" - why does everyone love LMB so much? Is it because they are often featured on TV shows, or because tournaments are held to catch them? I often wonder if the "media" has brainwashed everyone into thinking they are the fish that you have to target. They don't grow to be 50+lbs, you are evil if you kill one for dinner (haha!), and pound for pound they don't fight as hard. Yes, I do catch my fair share of nice bass- and enjoy doing so - but I love stripers!

Geraldlim
09-13-2011, 09:12 PM
I love stripers too. Much more fun to catch (and eat). But they will eat themselves out of house and home unless we help control their numbers. So I'm more anti overpopulation than anti striper. I'm always disappointed when I catch a LMB (unless it's BIG).

HawgZWylde
09-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Serious question for everyone that's "anti-striper" - why does everyone love LMB so much? Is it because they are often featured on TV shows, or because tournaments are held to catch them? I often wonder if the "media" has brainwashed everyone into thinking they are the fish that you have to target. They don't grow to be 50+lbs, you are evil if you kill one for dinner (haha!), and pound for pound they don't fight as hard. Yes, I do catch my fair share of nice bass- and enjoy doing so - but I love stripers!

It's certainly not that I'm anti-Striper. It's the fact, as Gerald says, they'll eat themselves and everything else out of existence. As for LMB's, it's the hunt that I enjoy. Striper, for the most part are school fish, not cover fish. No brainwashing needed here (sounds like politics bro), hunting is in my blood, and always has been. Bass have a low reproduction rate, say around 10,000 eggs laid a year per fish. And only a fraction of that survive to adulthood. Striper, on the other hand, produce over 100,000 eggs per fish per year with far fewer predatory fish on their tails. And no, I'm not a tournament angler. Just an old guy who enjoys a challenge...

HawgZWylde
09-13-2011, 09:52 PM

It's certainly not that I'm anti-Striper. It's the fact, as Gerald says, they'll eat themselves and everything else out of existence. As for LMB's, it's the hunt that I enjoy. Striper, for the most part are school fish, not cover fish. No brainwashing needed here (sounds like politics bro), hunting is in my blood, and always has been. Bass have a low reproduction rate, say around 10,000 eggs laid a year per fish. And only a fraction of that survive to adulthood. Striper, on the other hand, produce over 100,000 eggs per fish per year with far fewer predatory fish on their tails. And no, I'm not a tournament angler. Just an old guy who enjoys a challenge...

ghost2uu
09-13-2011, 10:47 PM
I hate striper haters. The reason the holdover trout took a crap is because everyone had this same "lets keep limits every trip attitude." "There are tons of trout wish I could catch a limit every day and leave them on a stringer at the dock to give away since my freezer is stuffed" "We need to thin the smaller trout to grow trophies" People would roam the lake pulling leadcore and Needlefish and Peestick spoons and keep 5 to 25 fish a boat depending how many licensed aglers you had on board. This happened three to five days a week all summer and winter long. Maybe if better catch and release policies were practiced those fish would be trophy sized by now.
Stripers wouldn't be messing with rainbows weighing eight pounds to high "teens". Since Lassen triploid trout can grow huge, I am still waiting for a dumpy 10 to 12 pound rainbow they planted to show over 20 pounds. We caught trout this past summer pulling small scroungers on eight to 10 colors looking for stripers. They were from two to three pounds and looked like they had been in the lake a few years. Perfect holdovers less than a month ago. We tossed them back, and I hope a trophy striper removed it from the food chain. They are still in there, yes recruitment to that fishery has slowed due to stripers and LARGEMOUTH.
Don't get me started on largemouth. Why in the hell does anyone think they are better than stripers? Why do they rate better than striper? Both largemouth and stripers were introduced to our fisheries. As said everyone is brainwashed by guys selling big bass boats, companies selling little rubber worms for eight dollars a pack, and expensive Japanese tackle that you need to catch and release little green fish. But fish a crawdad for one and keep one and you are a D-BAG. You have been brainwashed. I am not attacking anyone in generel but my opinion is dragging five inch purple rubber worms on six pound line in 40 feet of water for two to six pound largemouth is gay. So is trolling stripers on leadcore.
Cast to catch for big stripers is the ultimate hunt with the ultimate payoff. I am not hating on trollers, but give me a great topwater strike from a pig striper or a rod yanking grab on a burned sub surface triple trout any day. You guys keep hammering these baby bait fish, I will spend my summers at Willow Beach chasing pig stripers and be back once I hear the sounds of the holidays (the reverse beep on the DFG and MT. Lassen truck) God winter time needs to come so the big bait bite comes back.
I feel I am not out of line in anyway in saying if you think the DFG has a lakes fisheries health as a number one priority in its book you are wrong or just have no clue to the generel state of Southern California's fisheries. Do they manage the current fishery or one based on some imaginary goal that is unacheivable. Look at MLPA's and trout stocking litagaitons. Killing golden trout populations to protect frogs that are dieing off because it gets hotter now during the summer and water sources dry up. No more trout plants on the lower lagoon of Castaic Lake to protect a steelhead that might or might not be in the river below.
The lower lagoon was THE trophy largemouth lake of ALL of California and the United States. Best answer to keep the lower lagoon the number one largemouth trophy fishery in the state of California and give a bunch of licensed anglers a place to soak their green glitter cheese for a limit of trout, would have been stock triploid sterle trout but instead they just stop trout stockings all together so nothing can water down the genetics of the steelhead that probably aren't in the river below. Where are all the fourteen to eighteen pound lagoon fish now? They are nine to 13 pounds. NO STRIPERS THERE!!!
My god look at Casitas that place kicked pig largemouth to 16 pounds on a daily basis now since no more trout plants an eight pounder is a trophy. NO STRIPERS THERE!!! Where are you protecting that trophy poputlation DFG? Can't stock Piru Trout might climb over the dam and breed with steelhead that might or might not be there. Screw the awesome northern bass strain that resides there.
Lake Perris is a puddle compaired to what it used to be. No more spotted bass in that lake, although it was the best spottie lake in California(and the west coast) and produced multiple state and current IFGA records. Where was the DFG? No STRIPERS there when they disapeared. Why doesn't the DFG worry about that fishery and make someone fix the dam that was supposed to be done by now???
Look at our salmon crash on central coast rivers like the Sacramento and the Feather. I used to up there and catch 20 salmon a day to 50 pounds. Up to a million salmon used to hit the rivers there. The runs have been as low as 30,000, but the DFG still lets a few big farmers that own the central valley pump as much water as they want out of the delta. We have changed the current in the delta to where it does not flow to the ocean and now flows to the pumps. Saltwater is slowly creeping in and changing the delta. Where is the DFG????????
My post is long winded and as useless as this catch and kill all the stripers attitude. Largemouth bass are by-catch. Stripers ARE the trophy fish and should be treated so.
My god there has been a dozen to 30 boats a day hammering the same secondary inlet pipe for 10 stripers an angler. With one to five anglers per boat taking full limits. I have seen the same guys filling the same giant white ice chests over and over day in and day out. I know one thing is that the bucket brigade and giant marine cooler brigade with nothing but kill, kill, kill, and limits every day attitude will eventuly tax any fishery over time. How is upper Castaics striper bite been? The bucket brigade hit that place pretty hard.
Send the Florida strain largemouth back to Florida for all I care that fish does not rate any better than a striper. I think our fisheries should be managed for striper, not green water bags. But stripers don't sell spinnerbaits, rubber worms, gulp, tungsten weights, buzz baits, crank baits, $40,000 bass boats with 250 horsepower motors (even though you fish on a trolling motor 90% of the time) and all that gay stuff.

DarkShadow
09-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Paragraphs rule.

Surfnsnowboard3
09-13-2011, 10:51 PM
I hate striper haters. The reason the holdover trout took a crap is because everyone had this same "lets keep limits every trip attitude." "There are tons of trout wish I could catch a limit every day and leave them on a stringer at the dock to give away since my freezer is stuffed" "We need to thin the smaller trout to grow trophies" People would roam the lake pulling leadcore and Needlefish and Peestick spoons and keep 5 to 25 fish a boat depending how many licensed aglers you had on board. This happened three to five days a week all summer and winter long. Maybe if better catch and release policies were practiced those fish would be trophy sized by now. Stripers wouldn't be messing with rainbows weighing eight pounds to high "teens". Since Lassen triploid trout can grow huge, I am still waiting for a dumpy 10 to 12 pound rainbow they planted to show over 20 pounds. We caught trout this past summer pulling small scroungers on eight to 10 colors looking for stripers. They were from two to three pounds and looked like they had been in the lake a few years. Perfect holdovers less than a month ago. We tossed them back, and I hope a trophy striper removed it from the food chain. They are still in there, yes recruitment to that fishery has slowed due to stripers and LARGEMOUTH. Don't get me started on largemouth. Why in the hell does anyone think they are better than stripers? Why do they rate better than striper? Both largemouth and stripers were introduced to our fisheries. As said everyone is brainwashed by guys selling big bass boats, companies selling little rubber worms for eight dollars a pack, and expensive Japanese tackle that you need to catch and release little green fish. But fish a crawdad for one and keep one and you are a D-BAG. You have been brainwashed. I am not attacking anyone in generel but my opinion is dragging five inch purple rubber worms on six pound line in 40 feet of water for two to six pound largemouth is gay. So is trolling stripers on leadcore. Cast to catch for big stripers is the ultimate hunt with the ultimate payoff. I am not hating on trollers, but give me a great topwater strike from a pig striper or a rod yanking grab on a burned sub surface triple trout any day. You guys keep hammering these baby bait fish, I will spend my summers at Willow Beach chasing pig stripers and be back once I hear the sounds of the holidays (the reverse beep on the DFG and MT. Lassen truck) God winter time needs to come so the big bait bite comes back. I feel I am not out of line in anyway in saying if you think the DFG has a lakes fisheries health as a number one priority in its book you are wrong or just have no clue to the generel state of Southern California's fisheries. Do they manage the current fishery or one based on some imaginary goal that is unacheivable. Look at MLPA's and trout stocking litagaitons. Killing golden trout populations to protect frogs that are dieing off because it gets hotter now during the summer and water sources dry up. No more trout plants on the lower lagoon of Castaic Lake to protect a steelhead that might or might not be in the river below. The lower lagoon was THE trophy largemouth lake of ALL of California and the United States. Best answer to keep the lower lagoon the number one largemouth trophy fishery in the state of California and give a bunch of licensed anglers a place to soak their green glitter cheese for a limit of trout, would have been stock triploid sterle trout but instead they just stop trout stockings all together so nothing can water down the genetics of the steelhead that probably aren't in the river below. Where are all the fourteen to eighteen pound lagoon fish now? They are nine to 13 pounds. NO STRIPERS THERE!!! My god look at Casitas that place kicked pig largemouth to 16 pounds on a daily basis now since no more trout plants an eight pounder is a trophy. NO STRIPERS THERE!!! Where are you protecting that trophy poputlation DFG? Can't stock Piru Trout might climb over the dam and breed with steelhead that might or might not be there. Screw the awesome northern bass strain that resides there. Lake Perris is a puddle compaired to what it used to be. No more spotted bass in that lake, although it was the best spottie lake in California(and the west coast) and produced multiple state and current IFGA records. Where was the DFG? No STRIPERS there when they disapeared. Why doesn't the DFG worry about that fishery and make someone fix the dam that was supposed to be done by now??? Look at our salmon crash on central coast rivers like the Sacramento and the Feather. I used to up there and catch 20 salmon a day to 50 pounds. Up to a million salmon used to hit the rivers there. The runs have been as low as 30,000, but the DFG still lets a few big farmers that own the central valley pump as much water as they want out of the delta. We have changed the current in the delta to where it does not flow to the ocean and now flows to the pums. Saltwater is slowly creeping in and changing the delta. Where is the DFG???????? My post is long winded and as useless as this catch and kill all the stripers attitude. Largemouth bass are by-catch. Stripers ARE the trophy fish and should be treated so. My god there has been a dozen to 30 boats a day hammering the same secondary inlet pipe for 10 stripers an angler. With one to five anglers per boat taking full limits. I have seen the same guys filling the same giant white ice chests over and over day in and day out. I know one thing is that the bucket brigade and giant marine cooler brigade with nothing but kill, kill, kill, and limits every day attitude will eventuly tax any fishery over time. How is upper Castaics striper bite been? Send the Florida strain largemouth back to Florida for all I care that fish does not rate any better than a striper. I think our fisheries should be managed for striper, not green water bags. But stripers don't sell spinnerbaits, rubber worms, gulp, tungsten weights, buzz baits, crank baits, $40,000 bass boats with 250 horsepower motors (even though you fish on a trolling motor 90% of the time) and all that gay stuff.

Holy crap!

ghost2uu
09-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Oh yeah and GOD BLESS LUNKER PUNKERS!!!! Lets see a gay largemouth turn the six feet of water around a punker into foamy white churning KABOOM of death.

ghost2uu
09-13-2011, 10:59 PM
it's certainly not that i'm anti-striper. It's the fact, as gerald says, they'll eat themselves and everything else out of existence. As for lmb's, it's the hunt that i enjoy. Striper, for the most part are school fish, not cover fish. No brainwashing needed here (sounds like politics bro), hunting is in my blood, and always has been. Bass have a low reproduction rate, say around 10,000 eggs laid a year per fish. And only a fraction of that survive to adulthood. Striper, on the other hand, produce over 100,000 eggs per fish per year with far fewer predatory fish on their tails. And no, i'm not a tournament angler. Just an old guy who enjoys a challenge...

Stripers need rivers for true optimal spawning. 100,000 is optimal conditions!!! 90% of the spawn from stripers does not even make it to the fry stage since it dies from lack of steady currents, but some of the spawn makes it whether it be from wind currents, or intake currents. I have not seen a published paper by Kwin or anyone else on the spawning patterns and survival rates of striper spawn in southern California water inpoundments. Anyone got a link to a real study with real numbers to back up the numbers they throw around on here? But since gerald and kwin said it, it must be true. If you think a baby striper has it ANY easier than a baby largemouth or bluegill your are flat wrong. They are food for anything bigger than them just like any other species.

Surfnsnowboard3
09-13-2011, 11:00 PM
So let me paraphrase: you hate LMB, trolling, DFG and life in general. And you like Lunker Punker's. Check!

Surfnsnowboard3
09-13-2011, 11:03 PM
dragging a purple plastic worm over a point is not challenging. Patterning laremouth is not challenging they are structure oriented. Stripers need rivers for true optimal spawning. 100,000 is optimal conditions!!! But since gerald and kwin said it, it must be true.

I take something Gerald and Kwin said over your rhetoric ANY DAY. Now, if I can only find where I put my meds....

ghost2uu
09-13-2011, 11:11 PM
Like I said show me the study to back the numbers you guys throw around?

Surfnsnowboard3
09-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Like I said show me the study to back the numbers you guys throw around?

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?54153-To-Kill-Or-Not-To-Kill-(Stripers)-That-is-the-question

ghost2uu
09-13-2011, 11:14 PM
So let me paraphrase: you hate LMB, trolling, DFG and life in general. And you like Lunker Punker's. Check!

I am very happy with life in generel. My job kicks ***, I have caught more striper over 20 pounds this year than most of the people that have posted on this thread combined. My health is good. Our fisheries suck. Look at Perris number one spottie lake in the U.S. they are gone where is DFG? Look at Cataic Lower Lagoon couple years ago best trophy bass fishery in the U.S. now it's barely top ten. Where is DFG. They are at DVL telling you to kill everything. Yes Lunker Punkers rock.

ghost2uu
09-13-2011, 11:15 PM
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?54153-To-Kill-Or-Not-To-Kill-(Stripers)-That-is-the-question

Jesus Christ you get your numbers from HuskerRod? We as anglers in California are screwed.

Surfnsnowboard3
09-13-2011, 11:17 PM
I am very happy with life in generel. My job kicks ***, I have caught more striper over 20 pounds this year than most of the people that have posted on this thread combined. My health is good. Our fisheries suck. Look at Perris number one spottie lake in the U.S. they are gone where is DFG? Look at Cataic Lower Lagoon couple years ago best trophy bass fishery in the U.S. now it's barely top ten. Where is DFG. They are at DVL telling you to kill everything. Yes Lunker Punkers rock.

Are you a liberal or conservative?

ghost2uu
09-13-2011, 11:25 PM

I am a Striper Angler.

Surfnsnowboard3
09-13-2011, 11:28 PM
I am a Striper Angler.

Damn, I was hoping you'd say you were a liberal. Then I had a nice long rant about your question of where DFG is.

Hint, it had to due with no money due to all the money going towards illegals and welfare.

ghost2uu
09-13-2011, 11:28 PM

Its how I feel. Science and studies equal better management. Actual spawning studies like www.Lakemohavestripers.com for the Colorado river region. They are trying to track striper movements, feeding patterns on native species, and spawning. I believe the study is being spearheaded by a couple of striper junkies that work at the federal trout hatchery there.

ghost2uu
09-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Damn, I was hoping you'd say you were a liberal. Then I had a nice long rant about your question of where DFG is.

Hint, it had to due with no money due to all the money going towards illegals and welfare.

LOL I just want to catch giant striper. But you can post your rant if it makes you feel better. I will read it.

ghost2uu
09-13-2011, 11:56 PM
I hate striper haters. The reason the holdover trout took a crap is because everyone had this same "lets keep limits every trip attitude." "There are tons of trout wish I could catch a limit every day and leave them on a stringer at the dock to give away since my freezer is stuffed" "We need to thin the smaller trout to grow trophies" People would roam the lake pulling leadcore and Needlefish and Peestick spoons and keep 5 to 25 fish a boat depending how many licensed aglers you had on board. This happened three to five days a week all summer and winter long. Maybe if better catch and release policies were practiced those fish would be trophy sized by now.
Stripers wouldn't be messing with rainbows weighing eight pounds to high "teens". Since Lassen triploid trout can grow huge, I am still waiting for a dumpy 10 to 12 pound rainbow they planted to show over 20 pounds. We caught trout this past summer pulling small scroungers on eight to 10 colors looking for stripers. They were from two to three pounds and looked like they had been in the lake a few years. Perfect holdovers less than a month ago. We tossed them back, and I hope a trophy striper removed it from the food chain. They are still in there, yes recruitment to that fishery has slowed due to stripers and LARGEMOUTH.
Don't get me started on largemouth. Why in the hell does anyone think they are better than stripers? Why do they rate better than striper? Both largemouth and stripers were introduced to our fisheries. As said everyone is brainwashed by guys selling big bass boats, companies selling little rubber worms for eight dollars a pack, and expensive Japanese tackle that you need to catch and release little green fish. But fish a crawdad for one and keep one and you are a D-BAG. You have been brainwashed. I am not attacking anyone in generel but my opinion is dragging five inch purple rubber worms on six pound line in 40 feet of water for two to six pound largemouth is gay. So is trolling stripers on leadcore.
Cast to catch for big stripers is the ultimate hunt with the ultimate payoff. I am not hating on trollers, but give me a great topwater strike from a pig striper or a rod yanking grab on a burned sub surface triple trout any day. You guys keep hammering these baby bait fish, I will spend my summers at Willow Beach chasing pig stripers and be back once I hear the sounds of the holidays (the reverse beep on the DFG and MT. Lassen truck) God winter time needs to come so the big bait bite comes back.
I feel I am not out of line in anyway in saying if you think the DFG has a lakes fisheries health as a number one priority in its book you are wrong or just have no clue to the generel state of Southern California's fisheries. Do they manage the current fishery or one based on some imaginary goal that is unacheivable. Look at MLPA's and trout stocking litagaitons. Killing golden trout populations to protect frogs that are dieing off because it gets hotter now during the summer and water sources dry up. No more trout plants on the lower lagoon of Castaic Lake to protect a steelhead that might or might not be in the river below.
The lower lagoon was THE trophy largemouth lake of ALL of California and the United States. Best answer to keep the lower lagoon the number one largemouth trophy fishery in the state of California and give a bunch of licensed anglers a place to soak their green glitter cheese for a limit of trout, would have been stock triploid sterle trout but instead they just stop trout stockings all together so nothing can water down the genetics of the steelhead that probably aren't in the river below. Where are all the fourteen to eighteen pound lagoon fish now? They are nine to 13 pounds. NO STRIPERS THERE!!!
My god look at Casitas that place kicked pig largemouth to 16 pounds on a daily basis now since no more trout plants an eight pounder is a trophy. NO STRIPERS THERE!!! Where are you protecting that trophy poputlation DFG? Can't stock Piru Trout might climb over the dam and breed with steelhead that might or might not be there. Screw the awesome northern bass strain that resides there.
Lake Perris is a puddle compaired to what it used to be. No more spotted bass in that lake, although it was the best spottie lake in California(and the west coast) and produced multiple state and current IFGA records. Where was the DFG? No STRIPERS there when they disapeared. Why doesn't the DFG worry about that fishery and make someone fix the dam that was supposed to be done by now???
Look at our salmon crash on central coast rivers like the Sacramento and the Feather. I used to up there and catch 20 salmon a day to 50 pounds. Up to a million salmon used to hit the rivers there. The runs have been as low as 30,000, but the DFG still lets a few big farmers that own the central valley pump as much water as they want out of the delta. We have changed the current in the delta to where it does not flow to the ocean and now flows to the pumps. Saltwater is slowly creeping in and changing the delta. Where is the DFG????????
My post is long winded and as useless as this catch and kill all the stripers attitude. Largemouth bass are by-catch. Stripers ARE the trophy fish and should be treated so.
My god there has been a dozen to 30 boats a day hammering the same secondary inlet pipe for 10 stripers an angler. With one to five anglers per boat taking full limits. I have seen the same guys filling the same giant white ice chests over and over day in and day out. I know one thing is that the bucket brigade and giant marine cooler brigade with nothing but kill, kill, kill, and limits every day attitude will eventuly tax any fishery over time. How is upper Castaics striper bite been? The bucket brigade hit that place pretty hard.
Send the Florida strain largemouth back to Florida for all I care that fish does not rate any better than a striper. I think our fisheries should be managed for striper, not green water bags. But stripers don't sell spinnerbaits, rubber worms, gulp, tungsten weights, buzz baits, crank baits, $40,000 bass boats with 250 horsepower motors (even though you fish on a trolling motor 90% of the time) and all that gay stuff.

LOL just kidding try to kill them all.

ghost2uu
09-14-2011, 12:02 AM
You can only eat so much. I wish there was a "striper giveaway bin or stringer" at the dock so excess stripers could be put there so anyone wanting stripers could take what they wanted from there for free. Sometimes I release them cuz I have enough and my giveaway list is all used up.
MMMM striper rotting in the free striper bin sounds yummy Or a stringer of dead striper hanging from the dock all day in 80 degree water should be awesome by the end of the day. They can't even open the lake on time or even get power line ran to the snack bar. I am sure the giveaway striper bin would always have ice in it.

TheAsianGuy
09-14-2011, 09:13 AM

If there is giveaway, I wouldn't mind to be in that line. Love the striper's ceveche. So freaking good! Plenty of recipes for them. The local seafood market here sells small 2lbs stripers for $4/lbs. Rather catch them eat them when I can.

TroutOnly
09-14-2011, 09:52 AM
In the day the people killing the stock trout hurt the holdover more than anything,until the stripers got big enough to kill them,as far as killing the holdovers i put back four times of them over what i ever killed.the trouts problem was there was no were for them to breed,the stripers just adapted,like they have in so many places,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,man i thought i knew how to rant,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,

sweetfish
09-14-2011, 10:22 AM
If there is giveaway, I wouldn't mind to be in that line. Love the striper's ceveche. So freaking good! Plenty of recipes for them. The local seafood market here sells small 2lbs stripers for $4/lbs. Rather catch them eat them when I can.

I second that. My family loves the striper meat.

ghost2uu
09-14-2011, 10:30 AM
In the day the people killing the stock trout hurt the holdover more than anything,until the stripers got big enough to kill them,as far as killing the holdovers i put back four times of them over what i ever killed.the trouts problem was there was no were for them to breed,the stripers just adapted,like they have in so many places,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,man i thought i knew how to rant,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,

LOL that was my best rant ever. It started as a two line reply and grew. To all the bass anglers blaming the stripers for a lost spawn class of largies. Did we forget the lake was drawn down a hundred feet total over four seasons. Falling water levels in spring are the worst possible case for largemouth bass and recruitment of a new spawn class of fish. Now there is so much cover that is flooded this past years spawns and hopefully next years will be epic and will be able to feed the stripers for a few more years.

Just because stripers wear jail stripes does not mean we should treat them like criminals.

TroutOnly
09-14-2011, 12:37 PM
BUT ITS FUN TO KILL THE JAILBIRDS ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE BIG,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SCREAMING DRAGS AND MONSTER HEAD SHAKES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Geraldlim
09-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Disclaimer: I am primarily a striper angler. I love catching them and am grateful for them.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt since I have not personally read any studies. However Kwin seems to know all the relevant studies from other lakes with stripers, and refers to studies he has done on stripers in DVL. I have no reason to disbelieve him when he says that if we like to keep catching big stripers we need to thin the herd.
I would like to catch BIG stripers, and do not want the same thing to happen in DVL as happened in Lake Powell, Lake Mead and others where the population got so large that the average size shrunk. DVL is a much smaller lake than those, and has no additional nutrients coming in unlike San Antonio with all the cattle around "enriching" the lake LOL, so is limited in the load of fish it can support. I worry when some of the stripers I catch are real skinny. I heard striper pros like Silks are also concerned about signs that the striper size is about to take a dive because there is not enough food to support them.

ghost2uu
09-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Disclaimer: I am primarily a striper angler. I love catching them and am grateful for them.

Take what I say with a pinch of salt since I have not personally read any studies. However Kwin seems to know all the relevant studies from other lakes with stripers, and refers to studies he has done on stripers in DVL. I have no reason to disbelieve him when he says that if we like to keep catching big stripers we need to thin the herd.
I would like to catch BIG stripers, and do not want the same thing to happen in DVL as happened in Lake Powell, Lake Mead and others where the population got so large that the average size shrunk. DVL is a much smaller lake than those, and has no additional nutrients coming in unlike San Antonio with all the cattle around "enriching" the lake LOL, so is limited in the load of fish it can support. I worry when some of the stripers I catch are real skinny. I heard striper pros like Silks are also concerned about signs that the striper size is about to take a dive because there is not enough food to support them.

This is what happens when hearsay becomes recycled fact. I want cold hard numbers. Kwin show me studies of striper spawning habits and spawning survival rates from Southern California Lakes. Please show me any PUBLISHED study on the rise and fall of striper populations and size quality in relation to population as tracked in any Southern California Reservoirs.
I will take one on Pyramid, Silverwood, Skinner, Diamond Valley, Castaic any Southern California reservoir. Kwin have you published any of your studies to be reviewed by peers? Can I please see those?
I leave the rumors to the women at the water cooler. Until then show me one California fishery that has improved with liberal limits and heavy harvest. I have the upmost repsect for Greg Silks and what he does, but he has said the striper population will crash at DVL for over over three years now. Lakes go on cycles and so do fish populations they all will have their ups and downs. If you don't have cold hard numbers and like chiming in KILL ALL THE STRIPERS you are an idiot.

nolivebait4bass
09-14-2011, 04:07 PM
PS - He's all hyped up on Mountain Dew

Godwad
09-14-2011, 04:11 PM

Wall of text or not, this is a terrific post.

ghost2uu
09-14-2011, 04:13 PM
PS - He's all hyped up on Mountain Dew

Chip, I will come at you like a spider monkey.

fish-o-haulic
09-14-2011, 05:39 PM
I like striper. That is all.

No really though, I odly enough see what ghost is saying bout lmb people take em to seriously. Kill one and you may be killed, socially or literally. I fish lmb when theres nothing else to fish for, heck i just enjoy fishing. But i prefer to be able to keep what i catch and not be blasted for it. as i have said in other posts i fish to relax so naturally i dont understand the whole mentality of giving others a hard time of keeping a limit of fish at all. I am complete catfish and striper junkie dont really fish for much else cept trout once a year. But for the several x's in my life i have fishes lmb i just have to say i dont get it. I dont have any intesions to bash lmb or the people who fish for them but for those who do think they are better for fishing lmb over striper i simply say to you. Suck it and get a life.

Now as far as massacreing stripeys im all for it. i say every fnn member should get a national striper killing day. I do think that striper have the potential to eat everything in the lakes they inhabit. personally i think the main species in california if not kept in check will be striper. But thats my 2 cents and as i have said before and as some of you may have noticed i dont exactly pride myself on my intelligence. But i will say being primarily shore fisherman i havent had succes on striper this year

TroutOnly
09-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Thats funny he said dvl was a blossoming striper lake right now,that was at he the fred hall show,oh and i quess iam an idiot also,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ghost2uu
09-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I am by no means promoting catching and releasing stripers like largemouth bass. I know a harvest is needed to keep a population in check. I want to see actual counts of year one class striper recruitment per year over a decade at any So Cal reservoir. Largemouth spawns vary year to year but do not flucuate wildly year to year as striper recruitement does not happen every year due to the fact that currents are needed to suspend eggs. Overfishing any given year class can happen. Older year classes will be caught and killed. Without trophy striper(any striper over 20 pounds) that can replace them from each year class to cull their own population that is also how you get explosions in low year classes that ends up with a lake with nothing but stunted skinny small stripers. I will continue to harvest a limit of small fish as I seem fit, I will not subscribe to your kill them all train of thought and will continue to release most my fish over 20 pounds any where I fish (Silverwood they get tossed back if they are over 15 pounds) I have released over a dozen trophy grade stripers this year alone. I have no issues with whacking a couple 10 to 17 pound stripers from DVL and a good amount of five to twelve pound fish, but if they are biting I do not feel the need to have to take a limit of them every day all season. Nothing will mow through fingerling striper populations harder than trophy grade striper. We anglers do not put anywhere near the dent in the striper populaton as the striper do themselves.

ghost2uu
09-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Trout only you are not an idiot. You are one hell of an angler, but I still think there should be a cage match between you and Mark Franco in the parking lot at Diamond Valley. That would be better than this thread.

Stormcrow
09-14-2011, 06:45 PM
I must be an idiot too... I could really care less about stripers, I have a nice boat, WITH a 250 and I LOVE catching Fat LMB....

But I love this guys post.... Interesting point of view...I liked that huge post better than the clown with the "show me your studies and published data" garbage. Dont make me have to bust out journal access you could only dream about just to slap you with those studies. If you want to pay me for my time...I might oblige.

But I must say I LOVE to catch trophy striper on top water and big ole swimbaits. There are sooooo many schoolie striper at DVL right now it MUST have an affect on the fishery....for ALL species, including stripers themselves. You dont need hard data to use common sense. Even undergrads can see it...

So although Godwad brings up some EXCELLENT points, we should all realize that there are other aspects at work that affect the fisheries...especially upper and lower....

I enjoyed the post Godwad. Kudos to you.

ghost2uu
09-14-2011, 08:17 PM
I must be an idiot too... I could really care less about stripers, I have a nice boat, WITH a 250 and I LOVE catching Fat LMB....

But I love this guys post.... Interesting point of view...I liked that huge post better than the clown with the "show me your studies and published data" garbage. Dont make me have to bust out journal access you could only dream about just to slap you with those studies. If you want to pay me for my time...I might oblige.

But I must say I LOVE to catch trophy striper on top water and big ole swimbaits. There are sooooo many schoolie striper at DVL right now it MUST have an affect on the fishery....for ALL species, including stripers themselves. You dont need hard data to use common sense. Even undergrads can see it...

So although Godwad brings up some EXCELLENT points, we should all realize that there are other aspects at work that affect the fisheries...especially upper and lower....

I enjoyed the post Godwad. Kudos to you.
Am I missing something? The only post I see from Godwad is that he liked my post. That is my post he quoted guy. So you read my post liked my opinion on upper and lower Castaic and then bash me? Trust me when I say if you wrote the journals you can keep them, you can't even keep a conversation straight. I would rather see Kwins. Why not for the better of these boards don't you post some of that info. You don't have to slap me with them I will gladly read them. As you said you care less about stripers and you are a largemouth guy. Go start a largemouth post. Your opinion really means nothing after the point you said you care less about stripers and that was eight words into your post. I care about stripers. This is a striper post. Kill them all if you wish. I will continue to release all the big largemouth I accidently catch on big baits for you instead of giving them to my wierd neighbor. Instead of just talking the talk why don't you bust out the journal access and let us all see it. With all your knowledge you didn't even figure out you are agreeing with me and talking **** to me at the same time. Good job on firing a some half *** response touting your wisdom. Yes as YOU stated in words one through six, I guess you are.

HawgZWylde
09-14-2011, 08:19 PM
LOL that was my best rant ever. It started as a two line reply and grew. To all the bass anglers blaming the stripers for a lost spawn class of largies. Did we forget the lake was drawn down a hundred feet total over four seasons. Falling water levels in spring are the worst possible case for largemouth bass and recruitment of a new spawn class of fish. Now there is so much cover that is flooded this past years spawns and hopefully next years will be epic and will be able to feed the stripers for a few more years.

Just because stripers wear jail stripes does not mean we should treat them like criminals.

Yup, that rant was a doosey. Saul Alinsky would have been proud. For some reason I get the impression it was me you were aiming your verbal onslaught at. I had to go back and read the entire thread in an attempt to find a post which showed any kind of the so called "hate" that you rant about. Couldn't find any, including mine. All the posts simply voiced concern of the obvious impact that an ocean fish planted in fresh water is having on ALL species, including Striper, in fresh water lakes. I also stated that that comes from an angler of 47 years and not a fisheries biologist.

And yup, that was me expressing concern of lost generations of fish. Again, no formal study done here, just years of fishing experience. If you read my post thoroughly, I did mention the fact that the lake was down, re read it. I also stated that DFG is CURRENTLY doing surveys at the lake when you come off the water, as part of their ONGOING study. Today is the third day in a week we have been questioned. And they are NOW voicing concern after denying it in the past.

Seriously, the only "hate" I found here is coming from you. You hate anything and everyone LMB, you made that point quite clear. But you also showed your disdain for the American small business owners who produce and sell the products associated with catching LMB's. Hmm, you praise Greg Silkes, yet he owns the very $40,000+ Bass boat you so despise. Ridicule and name calling can and will bite you in the arse, and again, that's so Alinsky of you.

In closing, I would like to clarify that I indeed love kill'n lunker Stripers, I just prefer hunting LMB's better, much better. Does that make me less an angler than you? As another poster wrote, you come across as an elitist leftist progressive (liberal in his words) in your rant. I debate them every day in different forums and venues. Kinda sucks here...

fish-o-haulic
09-14-2011, 08:29 PM
I have a nice boat, WITH a 250

Well if you have such a nice boat maybe you should go fishing with me in it, then give it too me. Dang rich people flashin there rich stuff in poor peoples faces why I otta. HUMPH. I have a good mind to show you my prized possesion of useless and random poor people objects. Thats right you heard me, i bet your jelous now. HEHEHE

ghost2uu
09-14-2011, 08:30 PM
I don't hate largemouth or largemouth anglers. I don't despise bass boats. Just voicing my opinion on a total overall fishery and not one tailored to just largemouth bass fishing you know since it is a striper post. I just want to see the numbers. Gee you mean they go out there on shock boats at DVL at night? I would have never imagined. I just want to see the data.(Not to beat my chest on these boards, but to make an informed decision for myself. I kinda like to do that once in awhile, at least when it comes to fishing). I don't have anything against anyone on this board stormcrow or Hawg. I like your posts and would gladly talk fishing with you anytime. What I do not like is kill them all attitudes in my opinion it does not work anywhere for anything. Guess reading the book Striper Wars last week did not help this rant. We are talking fishing no need to really say you want to slap me with journals though. I am not attacking Kwin personaly I hope I did not come off that way, but if you are going to promote killing them all show us the studies to prove it. I did not mean to bring hate just passion about striper fishing in a striper thread.

fish-o-haulic
09-14-2011, 08:33 PM
buddy trust me you came off that way. but dont worry i see what your saying, i myself like to have a little bit of for sured knowledge myself, since fishing is so serious now. especially since the subject of fishing seems to raise more arguments than compliments lately. Mainly about c&r.

ghost2uu
09-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Back to the thread: Here is a fish from Willow Beach water surface temp was 60 degrees two weeks ago. These trout were stocked about two and a half hours before these fish were caught. Trout were already starting to digest in some pretty cold water. The other pic is from about 14 hours after the stocking. Both fish were 15 pounders.

ghost2uu
09-14-2011, 08:39 PM

ghost2uu
09-14-2011, 08:46 PM
But in my opinion I am sticking to the fact that trolling eight to ten colors of leadcore is indeed gay whether it be for trout or striper. I sure do hope some people with real striper info brings it into this discussion. Let the largemouth lovers hate. This is much better than the usual "should I use anchovies or sardines" striper talk on these boards. For example does any one have any info on exaclty how many successful striper spawns have occured in Diamond Valley since they were introduced. What years did it occur? What is the current sizing on each spawn class?

TroutOnly
09-15-2011, 07:07 PM
GHOST THE KILL-KILL-KILL THING IS A JOKE I HAVE WITH SOME OF MY HARDCORE SALTWATER FRIENDS ,AND I THINK ITS FUNNY CAUSE I WAS BABTISED IN THE SALTWATER WHEN I WAS SIX,,,,,TROLLING IS NOT GAY,TELL ALAN COLE THAT,,,LOL,,,HE KILLS BIG TIME AT THE WILLOW AND LAKE MOJAVE WITH IT. AS FAR AS FRANCO GOES HE'S AS LAME

AS THE DAY IS LONG,HES JUST ANOTHER JOHNY COME LATELY STRIPER PRO WERE WAS HE WHEN I WAS KILLING THE PIGS WITH MY SALTWATER 30LB SETUP AND A/C PLUG IN 83 AT 3 IN THE MORNING ,NINJA FISHING ,BUT BACK THEN WE DIDNT KNOW WE WERE NINJAS,WE WERE JUST HARDCORE SWIMBAIT MANIANCS,,,,,,,,,,WHO WANTED TO TANGLE WITH THE PIG STRIPEYS,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,

ghost2uu
09-15-2011, 08:56 PM
GHOST THE KILL-KILL-KILL THING IS A JOKE I HAVE WITH SOME OF MY HARDCORE SALTWATER FRIENDS ,AND I THINK ITS FUNNY CAUSE I WAS BABTISED IN THE SALTWATER WHEN I WAS SIX,,,,,TROLLING IS NOT GAY,TELL ALAN COLE THAT,,,LOL,,,HE KILLS BIG TIME AT THE WILLOW AND LAKE MOJAVE WITH IT. AS FAR AS FRANCO GOES HE'S AS GAY AS THE DAY IS LONG,HES JUST ANOTHER JOHNY COME LATELY STRIPER PRO WERE WAS HE WHEN I WAS KILLING THE PIGS WITH MY SALTWATER 30LB SETUP AND A/C PLUG IN 83 AT 3 IN THE MORNING ,NINJA FISHING ,BUT BACK THEN WE DIDNT KNOW WE WERE NINJAS,WE WERE JUST HARDCORE SWIMBAIT MANIANCS,,,,,,,,,,WHO WANTED TO TANGLE WITH THE PIG STRIPEYS,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,

No worries troutonly. Still see Allan Cole once in awhile at his old river haunts. He still catches big fish, although nowhere near the damage I see Jerry Rago unleash at that place. That man is a striper hunting animal. I hope no one takes the ribbing to heart. It's all about fishing and having some fun. I just like poking fun with the largemouth guys. I still feel strongly about letting big striper go, managing a fishery for all anglers not just the bass queens, and the fact that the DFG has let some of not just the states best fisheries, but the nations go in to the toilet bowl. They allow this just to please envirementalists whose adventures in the outdoors consist of taking the Prius to Mammoth to go skiing.

kwin
09-16-2011, 12:14 PM
um, look up "density dependent fisheries" and "striped bass fecundity". There are other variables involved, but I'll start you out slowly.

Stormcrow
09-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Am I missing something? The only post I see from Godwad is that he liked my post. That is my post he quoted guy. So you read my post liked my opinion on upper and lower Castaic and then bash me? Trust me when I say if you wrote the journals you can keep them, you can't even keep a conversation straight. I would rather see Kwins. Why not for the better of these boards don't you post some of that info. You don't have to slap me with them I will gladly read them. As you said you care less about stripers and you are a largemouth guy. Go start a largemouth post. Your opinion really means nothing after the point you said you care less about stripers and that was eight words into your post. I care about stripers. This is a striper post. Kill them all if you wish. I will continue to release all the big largemouth I accidently catch on big baits for you instead of giving them to my wierd neighbor. Instead of just talking the talk why don't you bust out the journal access and let us all see it. With all your knowledge you didn't even figure out you are agreeing with me and talking **** to me at the same time. Good job on firing a some half *** response touting your wisdom. Yes as YOU stated in words one through six, I guess you are.

I think I was agreeing and disagreeing with BOTH of you. The posts were sooo damn big it was hard to keep it all straight in the short time I had to read it...Dont get your man-thong in a wad. Im already published in the Journal of Conservation Biology from graduate work in 2005. I dont need your approval. But...I am glad you dont give your trophy female LMB to your weird neighbor either...

And, for the record....I personally release both trophy and schoolie stripers I catch. I only keep an occasional schoolie for tacos....

Stormcrow
09-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Well if you have such a nice boat maybe you should go fishing with me in it, then give it too me. Dang rich people flashin there rich stuff in poor peoples faces why I otta. HUMPH. I have a good mind to show you my prized possesion of useless and random poor people objects. Thats right you heard me, i bet your jelous now. HEHEHE

LOL you can come out anytime....But really, I cant afford it on a teachers salary...I waited tables at night for 4 years to be able to buy it.

Stormcrow
09-16-2011, 12:35 PM
um, look up "density dependent fisheries" and "striped bass fecundity". There are other variables involved, but I'll start you out slowly.

You may be referring to fecundity involving community partner species as well, not just for striped bass.

ghost2uu
09-16-2011, 01:57 PM

THANK YOU KWIN!!!!!!!!
Kwin how many times have the striper spawned succesfully since they were introduced into the lake?
Stormcrow, no hard feelings I hope just a bit of ribbing from one fisherman to another.