PDA

View Full Version : 9/8/11 - A limit, a PB and a Spanking Today at DVL

Geraldlim
09-08-2011, 10:56 PM
I went early today and was one of the first boats on the water. However since my wide open throttle is barely faster than the bass boats idling, a bunch of boats passed me on the way to the other side of the lake, LOL.

I started trolling and picked up schoolie stripers all over the lake. After 3 hours I had caught nothing but schoolies so I picked up and went to the opposite end of the lake. Worked another 3 hours and managed to pick up a 5 pounder in addition to the schoolies.

At about 12:30 I hooked a nice 8.5 lb fish and brought it into the boat. Great - some bigger units around. So I worked that general vicinity for more. Then I got a solid hit and a nice run. When it stopped I began to retrieve line, but almost immediately it gave a short run, then again reel up a little line and off it went again. This sequence repeated 5 or 6 times in quick succession with me not able to really gain any line, then suddenly that dreaded slack line.... I reeled in quickly for a short distance in case it was swimming at the boat, but no luck, so I quickly let the line back out in case some of his buddies were following behind and hoped for a quick follow up hit. No dice, nothing happening.

I kept working that general area for the next 45 minutes, but no hits in spite of repeatedly seeing stripers on the fishfinder. Finally I pulled my line in to check on my lure to see why I was not getting any hits, and lo and behold, I had been pulling leadcore and a leader with no lure! The leader had been cut off on the gill plate by that previous fish! Felt kinda stupid!

Tied another fly on, decreased the drag so less likely to cut the leader again and soon after got another solid hit. The fight was pretty good with several runs, but nothing like the dogged quickfire back to back runs of the one that got away. Finally got it to less than one color of leadcore and could see the striper way down in the clear water. Brought it up to the boat, managed the compulsory "run around the outboard" scare and netted a really nice 13 lb 7 oz PB striper.

Kept working the area for one more 6.5 lb striper to complete my limit. Actually caught 18 but kept 10. Best 4 were 13.45, 8.5, 6.5 and 5 lbs. Best day yet at DVL for me.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/geraldlim/Fishing/IMG_0545.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/geraldlim/Fishing/IMG_0548.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/geraldlim/Fishing/IMG_0551.jpg

bakchow
09-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Great catch! You got the dvl strippies dialed in.

a321eric
09-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Nice job out there on the striper slay!!!

....and your PB

HawgStalker
09-09-2011, 06:35 AM
You're all over those stripers! Congrats on the PB!!

trandc9
09-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Well done!
I was out there too, nice warmer day. Easy limits :) . They are out there, go slay them guys.

dixoncider
09-09-2011, 07:30 AM
WoW..That's some good fishing ....

pigdestroyer
09-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Your going to be able to start guiding for those striper soon. :) Great job as usual Gerald.

Desertfishen2
09-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Doesn't sound like you need more speed to get to the fish, it's what you do when you get there and I would say every thing right. GOOD JOB and nice fish.

diamondbear
09-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Really good catch Gerald , youve got it dialed in for sure . Nice big fish is always fun to fight , would of liked to seen the one that got away , ha I gotta get away from those little schoolies and get me some of those monsters your slaying . // db

riverside_angler
09-09-2011, 11:38 AM
You've come a long way!!! I remember reading your "journal log" as you began this striper venture and now you are pulling in limits like it "ain't no thang." Congrats on your journey! It's great to physically see one's progress relate to their efforts. Good work.

Geraldlim
09-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Doesn't sound like you need more speed to get to the fish, it's what you do when you get there and I would say every thing right. GOOD JOB and nice fish.
Thanks!

Really good catch Gerald , youve got it dialed in for sure . Nice big fish is always fun to fight , would of liked to seen the one that got away , ha I gotta get away from those little schoolies and get me some of those monsters your slaying . // db
Me too! Some of your "schoolies" look to be the same size as these!

You've come a long way!!! I remember reading your "journal log" as you began this striper venture and now you are pulling in limits like it "ain't no thang." Congrats on your journey! It's great to physically see one's progress relate to their efforts. Good work.
Thanks. I'm still learning each time I go out. This time out I learned how to trigger the fish to bite better. When the season and the bite changes I struggle again. We'll see when it cools off again. I expect I'll have to figure out the changed bite then.

DrePSP
09-09-2011, 03:02 PM
IF you dont mind...what kind of a fly? how many colors and how fast you trolling. thanks

Geraldlim
09-09-2011, 04:22 PM
A white shad imitation fly I tie myself. 4-7 colors, 2.5 mph.
A commercial Deceiver pattern streamer would work fine.

huukup12
09-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Nice PB striper Gerald...
how's it different between lead core & downrigger setup ? what lbs test of the lead core do you use ?
thx, j

VietReefer
09-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Nicely done brother.
Hmmm why did you put the 2 fishes on the bench I always sat and got fish juices all over it?? WTH. :D

Geraldlim
09-09-2011, 09:56 PM
The big difference is that you can work the lure on leadcore to give it more action. I use 27lb leadcore.

huukup12
09-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the tips Gerald...much appreciate it.
j

diamondbear
09-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Ive been fishing DVL as much as I can , 1-2 times a week and theres not alot of trollers out there as the deep bait thing doing really well now , but Gerald , you have done very well on figuring out whats needed to slay these fish and monsters to . Your Avatar with the big tuna makes sense now , good job , looking for the next post , ha // db

TroutOnly
09-11-2011, 09:02 PM
GREAT CATCH GERALD ,I WAS AT THAT OTHER PLACE HOPE TO HIT THE DVL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,