PDA

View Full Version : KH PV Bonito Yellowtail Report 9/8

DockRat
09-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Saw a Bonito get caught at JCS and one on the short pier this morning.
Talked to a guy that had a 5/0 Mustad get straighten'd at Rocky Point yesterday with 50 lb braid and and another boat lost a couple.

Jackpot Jimmy what is the word ?

The King Harbor Bonito are small about 2 - 3 lbs and the AES Power Plant ( Bubble) has been on for a couple weeks with steam blowing from one stack.
Epic conditions today 75 degrees at 10 am no wind and no fishermen except 1 guy at JCS and one guy at the short pier. Heard about some YT in KH too.
Saw a 2' Halibut cruise along the rocks too, didn't fish, still on crutches.
DR

Ifishtoolittle
09-08-2011, 08:30 PM
I always hear about these YT sightings inside KH; and it's not like I don't believe them. But, I'd like to see some pics!

Jackpot Jimmy
09-08-2011, 08:50 PM
We got two big yellows last Friday. The biggest was estimated at around 35 pounds. One was caught on the light leadhead and live squid and the other on a light slider and a live squid.

DockRat
09-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Here is a 2 year old post by Winningman, it had a pic but didn't come up.
Read the responses with more eye witness accounts.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...n-redondo-pier

Dixoncider has caught them.
Last summer a guy landed one after it hit a smelt on a sabiki rig then got wrapped in all the hooks, then a seal took a chunk out it but the guy landed it.

Yellowtail on redondo pier
Who would belive that yellowtail on pier..?
this morning I got to redondo pier about 11 a.m.
One of my body told me to hurry and get yellowtail..?
Anyway a few people was talking about big yellowtail that
someone got and lost to sealion...and it was big...
showing me with both arm-full <---------------->
as I was getting gears ready...
guy next to me had line across and looks like got somthing,
so I asked what you got....?
He said I'm stuck on something....and pulling but won't come up.
soon he broke his line..
So I through my line and I got stuck on it....
as I pulled slowly and got heavier....
when it got to surf I couldn't belived it...
It was big Yellowtail....
we used gaf..X2 two to bring it up
It was 54 inches..up to my chest...

DockRat
09-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks for that JJ.
I found your website on my Google search, cool.
DR

Ifishtoolittle
09-08-2011, 09:34 PM
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/Ifishtoolittle/yy2.jpg

This is the pic right?

jerryG
09-09-2011, 02:41 AM
I witnessed several yellows caught off the old Redondo pier during the 82/83 El Nino. That was the strongest El Nino I have ever experienced and the yellows were everywhere. I was only 12 years old at the time and although I didn't catch any yellows from the pier myself I did manage to get in to my first yellows that season from the sport boats. El Nino of 82/83 also brought some very severe winter storms. Many of the piers got washed away that winter, the Santa Monica Break wall was leveled, and beach houses in Malibu were destroyed. Here's from some pictures of King Harbor getting hit by those storms.

jerr-dog
09-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Hey Dockrat thanks for posting this. Havn't been fishing in over a week & now I hear this. Was waiting for this wind to go away.

DockRat
09-13-2011, 10:26 AM
No more steam blowing as of 9-11
Sucks.
DR

DockRat
09-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Great Pics Jerry. After that they raised the breakwall and built the concrete sea wall from Portofino to Samba. That storm took out the windows at the Blue Moon Saloon (now Samba).
DR

Ambassadorhawg
09-14-2011, 08:31 PM
The best fight I ever had inside of KH was back in the days of "Darth Seal". While tied up to the baitdock on a half day or 3/4 day boat, we'd catch a live mackerel and then pin it onto a XXH set up with a Penn 6/0 loaded with 80LB. test and at least a heavy gauge 7/0 hook. We'd flip the live Macky out when we saw Darth Seal come up. It was a guaranteed hook up and a drag burning run! That thing must have weighed at least 400 pounds. If you leaned real hard into him with a hammered drag, you could turn him momentarily but that's about it. You'd get sawed off every time by him. He was smart. If we'd happen to hook a younger seal, we'd often win the battle...

Does anyone know if "Darth Seal is still alive in KH? He's got and enormous fat hump on his head.

jerryG
09-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks Doc those were some wild storms. When I got those pics I found that the El Nino of 83 storms produced the most rainfall on record for the City of Redondo / Torrance/ Southbay. I remember a tornado ripped through downtown took a section of roof at the La Convention center during those storms but the surf was just unreal. I found a couple more shots of Kink Harbor from those 83 El Nino Storms you can see below where a section of the King Harbor breakwall got washed away. The light posts in my first post should help put the hight of the white water in to perspective.

JerryG

DockRat
09-16-2011, 05:57 PM
More cool pics. Thnx
Saw some boats lit up catching squid off Hermosa the other day at 5:00 am.
A little twister came through that day around sunrise and hit my 30' Trailer I lived in at Lomita.
A 6" thick branch came through my roof and smashed my bed that I just out of.

Man those were the days, paying $125 a month space rent, surfing everyday, self employed,
no wife, no kids, no computer, no cell phones/beeper, no cable, no car insurance, almost no mail, constant surf trips N and S, scuba diving, skiing at Mammoth a lot, parties all the time. :Beer Toast: Never got in trouble.
Those days were great.
DR

eddiefishtaco
09-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Yellows feed near shore, they like everything
clams, crabs, squid, sardines, mackerel, anything they can get
we used to fish them at the beach down south,
with jigs, spoons and bait, as long as the temp stays around
65 in our area they will come to feed

DockRat
09-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Yellows feed near shore, they like everything