PDA

View Full Version : Isabella Lake and kern river

Fishin Magician
09-08-2011, 10:31 AM
The Kern river is fishing well with the water low, slow and clear. Stocking continues weekly with a lot of hold overs still being caught. all the regular baits and spinners are working.
The fishing at Isabella is a what do you want fishery. Catfish are still biting good in the trees. Small bluegill are all you want around the rocks and in the coves. Crappie are biting in the early mornings and evenings around rocky point and Juniper point with the bluegill. Trout are around and still biting in the deep areas and right where the river enters the lake.
I went out for the evening bite with my wife last night. Only had an hour and a half to fish but still managed 3 trout and what I believe to be a small salmon. Check out the tail. I have never seen a trout with a forked tail. you tell me. I do know that they do occasionally stock salmon here. I'm interested in finding out.
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/kingofthekern/af0e0946.jpg
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/kingofthekern/d6b6ab77.jpg
here is one of the trout
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/kingofthekern/c9d1fc0c.jpg

Bassnman Mike
09-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Nice report John. Not sure on your forked tail fish, did it have pink meat or did you let it go? Are the crappie of any size or just the standard and how deep are they?

BTW, that sure is a pretty spinning reel you've got there, HA!

Beeracuda211
09-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Looks like the notorious "Pink Poacher" is on the prowl again... Thanks again John for the fun weekend... Chad is smoking Camels now... lol I see you went back for more salmon... Did the boat stay afloat?? Can't wait until the next adventure...

B/C

fishfinder
09-08-2011, 10:03 PM
thats a kokanee John. usually caught in the mouth of the river in the spring. thanks for the report.

Fishin Magician
09-09-2011, 09:30 AM
thats a kokanee John. usually caught in the mouth of the river in the spring. thanks for the report.
I was pretty sure it was a kokanee. I have caught larger ones but they usually have the tell tale black mouth. They have been pretty active in the evenings. Anyone wanting the spot should PM me for more info.

Fishin Magician
09-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Nice report John. Not sure on your forked tail fish, did it have pink meat or did you let it go? Are the crappie of any size or just the standard and how deep are they?

BTW, that sure is a pretty spinning reel you've got there, HA!
Crappie are running 5-10 feet deep. They are the typical 3/4 pounders. I let the Kokanee go as you can see the size wasn't up to my standards.
I guess I got caught fishing my wifes rig with the pink reel. just grabbed hers rather than re-tie mine that had the spinner on it. Guess I'll have to be more carefull with my pictures in the future.

Bassnman Mike
09-09-2011, 05:16 PM
I guess I got caught fishing my wifes rig with the pink reel. just grabbed hers rather than re-tie mine that had the spinner on it. Guess I'll have to be more carefull with my pictures in the future.

Sure it was your wife's reel.................... HA! Just kidding bud.

Its been a few weeks since I've been over. Hows the water level doing? By the way, glad to see the crappie are starting to play again.

Fishin Magician
09-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Hey mike,
water level is still dropping but above what it usually is. Still getting reports of crappie. They should be getting ready to spawn again for the fall. I'll keep you posted.

tracker16
09-13-2011, 12:05 PM
FM thanks for the report, my fishing partner will be back the first of October, we will be back up then.
My trout hole dried up by now so its nice the crappie are biting I have finely found my crappie jigs since switching boats. Now that the holidays are over im going to make it a point to meet you good luck

ryanbsimmcon
09-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Looks like the Pflueger Pink Lady Trion, just picked one up for the girlfriend. Some proceeds go to the Breast Cancer Foundation, sweet!

Fishin Magician
09-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Looks like the Pflueger Pink Lady Trion, just picked one up for the girlfriend. Some proceeds go to the Breast Cancer Foundation, sweet!
Exactly. she has been wanting a pink rod for a while. all the others we've seen have been junk. finally we found the Pflueger and I agreed to buy her that one. It's actually a nice set up.

Rich and Noah
09-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info, hoping to get up there this weekend (Oct 1-2) and will try the upper Kern.

fishing_addict
10-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Heading up that way Oct 15th, gonna camp out and try the upper Kern. Can't wait!!! Thanks for the motivation!

wackyrigged
10-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Hey you forgot about the green trash fish variety JK Thanks for the great report!

Rich and Noah
10-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the info, hoping to get up there this weekend (Oct 1-2) and will try the upper Kern.

Quick update:
3 of us fished the Upper Kern past the powerplant before Johnsondale on Saturday. Water looked great, but only 1 fish after about 3 hrs mid-day. Weather was beautiful, warm, and had a thundershower come through for about 5 mins. Little brown caught on a fly. Little to no pressure up there. Had lunch in Kernville and was told that they are only stocking closer to the hatchery. Oh well. Enjoyed the scenery, light crowds, and got to fire off some guns at the range. Range (near dump and airport) open to the public on Sundays 8-1pm (visitors), nice trap range, pistol & rifle area. Great people there @ the gun club.