PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day Weekend @ Lower Kern

fixthedoor
09-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Spent the weekend tenting it up there with family and a bunch of friends. Considering flow amounts from earlier in the year, I was surprised to see the water level very similar to what it was last year on Labor Day weekend. Fishing was really good though.

I caught trout on a pink mini-jig and a dry fly. I tried a couple Panther Martins and a couple Rooster tails with no success. Not sure if I was doing something wrong. I could see trout follow the lures, but the trout wouldn't hit them. Others in my group and people coming through the area had good success using bait.

Fishing was strong up until about 1pm. Don't know about the evening bite though. Even with the frequent passing of tubers through our 4' hole, trout kept biting. We pulled mostly pan size trout, but upstream I saw a couple others pull trout about 13"-15" in length.

Those who fished in my group had a good time fishing. The trout would hit hard and usually break the surface. I was stoked about catching a couple while flyfishing as it's only my second time and spent most of the time working on my cast.

Fishin Magician
09-08-2011, 10:13 AM
way to go on the fish. where were you camping?

fixthedoor
09-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks. Fairview Campground.

I Rocha
09-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I fished the lower on Monday, hit up a spot i like to hike into. Caught a trout and a squawfish, both pan size, on salmon eggs within the first few casts

then i thought i was snagged, but the snagged starting fighting! it was a big suckerfish, looked easy 5 lbs, broke me off quick.

the lower river is flowing great for fishing right now, some nice pools out there

Fishin Magician
09-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks. Fairview Campground.
Fairview is actually on the upper Kern. Not that it matters. Just an FYI for anyone wanting to match your catch.
Again great job on the fishing and thanks for the report.

fixthedoor
09-09-2011, 09:56 AM
I fished the lower on Monday, hit up a spot i like to hike into. Caught a trout and a squawfish, both pan size, on salmon eggs within the first few casts

then i thought i was snagged, but the snagged starting fighting! it was a big suckerfish, looked easy 5 lbs, broke me off quick.

the lower river is flowing great for fishing right now, some nice pools out there

Someone in my group caught a sucker as well. It put up a good fight. You're right there are a lot of nice pools, I should have spent more time exploring.

Fairview is actually on the upper Kern. Not that it matters. Just an FYI for anyone wanting to match your catch.
Again great job on the fishing and thanks for the report.

Gotcha. No worries, I'm still figuring out the area. Aside from the crowds it's a great place. The crowd's are good for business though, so what do you do?

Fishin Magician
09-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Gotcha. No worries, I'm still figuring out the area. Aside from the crowds it's a great place. The crowd's are good for business though, so what do you do?
Come up during the week. The crowds are non existent. Labor day is the worst. You should see the mountains of trash left behind. The locals are having "Pride Day" this weekend and picking up all the trash left behind. It usually adds up to a couple of tons, believe it or not.
I own the Riverview Lodge in Kernville. We are right on the river at the bridge. Call us if you don't want to camp sometime. I give discounts to all FNN members. I had Beeracuda211 and Grimm here last weekend. Took them out on Isabella for a little smorgasbord fishing. We caught crappie, bluegill, trout and salmon all in the same day.

fishtales
09-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Salmon in Lake Isabella??

archer
09-17-2011, 10:27 PM
I was up there today picking up trash at thunderbird with kern river fly fishers
had a good time and a great lunch at french gulch. no time to fish water was muddy

Skaguy04
09-17-2011, 10:59 PM

DFG stocks them as fingerlings, as they help control shad populations.

Fishin Magician
09-18-2011, 08:26 AM

yes, check this out
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/kingofthekern/af0e0946.jpg
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx291/kingofthekern/d6b6ab77.jpg

JimmisLine
09-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Great report, Fix. Thanks