PDA

View Full Version : need some advice Seabiscuit vs. Pacific Eagle

camperjay
09-07-2011, 09:29 PM
so my girlfriend wants a good chance at catching a halibut since she never has (spoiled brat has landed a BFT and YFT already) and is finishing up her summer sessioin at UCSB so i thought i would treat her to an overnighter on either the Seabiscuit or the Pacific Eagle. Ive been looking at the fish counts and lately it seems like the Seabiscuit is doing a better job of putting you on the fish but i was wondering if anyone has been aboard either of these two and their inputs. both are the same price at 145 and each depart at 10pm and return at 7pm the following day.

another question is tackle

im gonna bring two poles and i was wondering if they would do the trick

one is a calstar GFGR 700XL rated for 10-25lb test and penn 975 with 20lb test
the second is a similar setup with a sabre rod with the same ratings and a daiwa reel also with 20lb test

should i go with a heavier pole and reel? just change the test?

i guessing for tackle some torpedo weights around 2-4 ounces for dropper set-ups

half ounce to one ounce eggs for weighted flylining?

hooks some 1/0 or size one ( i like the slim hooks like owner mosquito or gamakatsu octupus but would they stand up againt a halibut or wsb?)

should i bring any iron?

Ha, i know this is a lot ask, and i did do my research but would rather get it from people who know first hand. thanks a bunch:Big Grin:

mil sonrisas
09-07-2011, 09:32 PM
no info, but just wanted to wish you guys the best of luck with what ever you decide to do!

Agro
09-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Go on the Biscuit. It's a nice boat and a fishy captain. Plus its bigger and a nicer ride.

RyO K
09-08-2011, 03:00 PM
i have personally never been on either of the boats but do know people who have gone.

couple weeks ago my friend and his son went out on an overnight on the Pacific Eagle.

They were awoken at 3 am and was forced to jig for squid. If they didnt they wouldnt be able to use any of the candy bait.

They tried for WSB and Halibut at grey light but didnt get any. After that the boat did not allow anyone to use the live stuff that they jigged on their own for rest of the day.

pretty F*ed up IMHO.

As for the Seabiscuit they seem fishy. they killed the WSB on labor day. all the boats out of CISCO seems to run a decent operation. Ive been on the pacific islander and it was an awesome trip.

As for tackle. you probably will need heavier sinkers. i was using 12 oz torpedo on a absolute gorgeous day but the current was ripping. 8 oz was barely holding bottom. Also you probably will need bigger hooks. especially for exotics. for rock fish you should be fine.

i hope this helps a bit.

DockRat
09-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Must be the old Pacific Edge but I have seen the Pacific Edge in King Harbor for the last 2 months.
Even saw it today right before Joes Crab Shack across from the saltwater lagoon.
I know that Mark Wisch bought a new boat last year so maybe it was sold?
Anybody know if the Pacific Edge is in HB or is there 2 PE Boats?
The KH one says 'Pacific Edge Huntington Beach'

Some of the Santa Barbara boats have been 'killin it' on the Halibuts.
Might do better up there?
DR

camperjay
09-10-2011, 04:16 PM
thanks all for the info, leaving tonight aboard the seabiscuit!!!!!
hopefully we catch some good fish but either way i think we'll have a good time
my buddy got the dates wrong and showed up at the docs last night! a little excited to say the least.
will report the trip probably on monday