PDA

View Full Version : There's A New PB In The House

Caveman
09-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Bass fishing this summer has been a very tough proposition in So Cal. There have been several one-fish and no-fish days and nights. Even my last two sessions, a Ninja mission with Mark "Chief" Torrez and a daytime quickie with the Caveboy, ended up being covered with the smell of skunk. So, when I headed out for a solo sunset session to Westlake recently, I didn't have very high expectations. But, man, was I in for a HUGE surprise!
I decided to go back to the area that my son and I had unsuccessfully tried the other day since we had seen some nice sized fish. When I got to the area, a nice guy named Eric was already working it. But, he was gracious enough to let me fish the area, too. I started with a custom Cave Buzz and got a follower, but no love. The same with a Spro Bronze Eye Frog. Finally, I removed the stripe when I nailed this chunky 2.5 pounder on a 297 Senko (recently sent to my by UFC mod Danny Barker ... you rock, DB!) with the tail tip dipped in chartreuse/garlic Spike-It.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6022/6004384333_43d5e85933_z.jpg

A short time later, I flipped the same bait into the same area and picked up another fat 2+ pound battler.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6021/6004930554_2d619b6f2e_z.jpg

After moving down the bank about 50 yards, I was twitching the bait back after a "dinnertime" cast to some docked boats. Halfway home, I felt the bait get picked up and didn't have to wait long for the line to load up. WHAM! I set the hook on this 4+ pounder that made several dives for the tulles. But, the 8 pound test Yo-Zuri Hybrid held up perfectly as I dragged her through the reeds for a quick meet and greet.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6129/6004930658_2eb290921a_z.jpg

I spent the next hour working the Senko and a Cave-customized Booyah Boogie bait, but couldn't find any players. So, I tied on my go-to bait: a Malibu-rigged 5" Kinami Flash in Mad Melon with the tail tip dipped in the Spike-It. I casted out as far as I could to some submerged grass and worked it very slow. Several times I felt that cursory peck that the larger models tend to do, but I couldn't entice a real strike. After a couple of more attempts that found very non-committal interest, I decided to doodle-dance the bait on the retrieve. Again, halfway back, I felt a pop. I twitched the bait one more time and felt a full pick-up. I lowered the boom ... BANG! The fish immediately pulled off 20 feet of line on the hook set - I instantly knew it was a good fish. I worked her back within 20 feet of shore and she peeled off another 30 feet ... back to where we started. She dove left, then right. I'm still not sure it's a Bass at this point and I'm beginning to think it might be a big Kitty. I get her within 10 feet and she finally comes up for a head shake ... it's a MASSIVE Bass! ... and then she peels off another 15 feet of line!! Finally, I get her to the bank and all but jump on what I'm sure is a new personal best Bass.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6140/6004384669_10a4bb01e9_z.jpg

Many anglers would look at her and just say "10 pounder". But, I could tell she was a little shy of double digits. After a quick bit of surgery, utilizing the gut-hook trick, I snap the pic and get her on the scale. It finally settled at 7 pounds 15 ounces ... a new PB! Yeah, baby!! No time for length and girth measurements since she was still post-op. So, I revived her for a minute or two and she strongly swam away, ready to play another day.
I was so excited, I just had to call it a night right there and jam home to to start writing this post up. It's been a couple of days now and I'm still jumping out of my shorts! And, I don't expect the rush to end anytime soon.
http://ufishclub.com/ufcfishingforum/images/smiles/moonwalk.gif

GotBass?
09-07-2011, 05:30 PM
WTG on the PB!! Toad for a small pond from the looks of it!!

HawgStalker
09-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Very nice fish! Congrats on the PB...

karalm
09-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Caveman, Nice pics, story and PIGS!! Way to go on the PB!! Beautiful Bass and I bet for you memory of a lifetime for awile until you slam a dd.

fshnritchey
09-07-2011, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't post pictures or stories of myself fishing Westlake at night- they are crazy strict out there and night fishing is definitely not allowed. The lake nazis will be on you if the recognize that badge number you are showing. Just a warning- they are ultra strict and its not the laid back place it used to be.Congrats on the big one- keep it up and soon you will surpass that beauty! By the way no need to post reports of our little secret jewel

jeepnkal
09-08-2011, 12:33 AM
Very nice fish. congrats.

bassgrabber1
09-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Congrats on your PB!!!! Looks like you had an awesome night!

DarkShadow
09-08-2011, 02:28 PM
The ole Malibu rig!

I prefer the Pacific Palisades rig myself, but the Malibu rig is pretty awesome too.

HawgStalker
09-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Whats the malibu rig?

Beeracuda211
09-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Yo caveman! Good to see your still around< congrats man!!shoot me a pm some time...

-beeracuda

etucker1959
09-09-2011, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't post pictures or stories of myself fishing Westlake at night- they are crazy strict out there and night fishing is definitely not allowed. The lake nazis will be on you if the recognize that badge number you are showing. Just a warning- they are ultra strict and its not the laid back place it used to be.Congrats on the big one- keep it up and soon you will surpass that beauty! By the way no need to post reports of our little secret jewel

Where the heck is this lake exactly? Iv'e got me some nightcrawlers and a bucket and I love eating bass! (LOL)

crappiemike
09-09-2011, 10:36 PM
congrats on your PB!!!!

cm