PDA

View Full Version : South lake thread

SierraPeaks
09-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Sorry to all the good people here that enjoy reading reports and sharing fishing experiences, particularly my recent South Lake thread that a couple of children got involved in and caused the thread to be closed. Not to worry though. I have done what I should have done right off the bat and put the little ones on my ignore list so that kind of juvenile crap won't happen again.

Looking forward to your reports and pics.

STEVE IN SOCAL
09-07-2011, 12:23 PM
I agree..let's leave out the "P" word, and focus on the "F" word...FISH

whittierte
09-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Thank you for the report. I enjoyed reading it. Some of the comments from the local Alpers gang...not so much. Although there are Alpers to be had still in South Lake, being around when the Alpers truck shows up makes it a tad easier to hang a few.

whittierte
09-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Jared. If you have anything to do with the posters who are out of line, shame on you.

IncredibleHuck
09-07-2011, 12:34 PM
being around when the Alpers truck shows up makes it a tad easier to hang a few.

Yep, I myself have had a few lucky days to be at a certain lake when the Alpers shown up. They didn't bite right away, but by the end of the day we got a few.

SierraPeaks
09-07-2011, 12:40 PM
thank you for the report. I enjoyed reading it. Some of the comments from the local alpers gang...not so much. Although there are alpers to be had still in south lake, being around when the alpers truck shows up makes it a tad easier to hang a few.

badda boom badda bing

IncredibleHuck
09-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Jared. If you have anything to do with the posters who are out of line, shame on you.

Jared would never do such a thing. He is a stand up guy. He puts a lot of work to get fish stocked in that area, and we all should be thankful for the the job he has done so far.

STEVE IN SOCAL
09-07-2011, 12:52 PM
You need more than 3 post here to start slinging accusations. Take your cane pole and power bait and go sit in the corner til we say it's ok to come play with us.

SierraPeaks
09-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Jared would never do such a thing. He is a stand up guy. He puts a lot of work to get fish stocked in that area, and we all should be thankful for the the job he has done so far.

Absolutely Huck. Jared's a top notch guy. And South Lake can't be beat for its beauty. I've been fishing the Eastern Sierras for a little over 30 years and have caught big fish at every lake and creek in the ES. It just didn't happen this time. How some people took that as a rag on South Lake or perhaps the staff up there...is beyond me.

By the way...LMAO at your Cheerios comment. But I don't think that was the case...as the poster is still on Gerber's and has a ways to go before he graduates to solid food.

Sierra_Smitty
09-07-2011, 12:58 PM

I didn't catch any of this until after it happened....so no, I had nothing to do with it. The people involved haven't worked for me since the middle of August 2010...they are entitled to say whatever they want, nothing i can do about it. I would have a real problem if they tried to tell me what I could and couldn't say.

Sierra_Smitty
09-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Glad to hear you did good out there sierrapeaks...I experience the same situation most days, weeding through the regular trout to get to the big ones is part of the game....thankfully having so many regular fish to weed through is a good problem to have hahaha. I got a 3lber on Monday...first fish of the day and then it was stocker-ville from then on.

SierraPeaks
09-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Glad to hear you did good out there sierrapeaks...I experience the same situation most days, weeding through the regular trout to get to the big ones is part of the game....thankfully having so many regular fish to weed through is a good problem to have hahaha. I got a 3lber on Monday...first fish of the day and then it was stocker-ville from then on.

It was a great trip Jared. I let myself get a little jacked up over the two SCE Alpers plants and did something I never do...I expected too much and then was a bit disappointed when I didn't get into some bigguns.

But hey...I was at South Lake...in perfect weather. What can possibly be bad about that eh ?

By the way...thanks for letting us take the boats out before the marina opened. We were back at the inlets at sunup and it was awesome.

seal
09-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Yup damn shame a simple report had to go down the toilet, so to speak.

whittierte
09-07-2011, 02:30 PM
You need more than 3 post here to start slinging accusations. Take your cane pole and power bait and go sit in the corner til we say it's ok to come play with us.

SIS My comment was directed at Jared, whom I have met, not you. Obviously your 100 posts have taught you little in reading comprehension as well as manners. So can it.

From previous postings I knew that the posters in question had worked for Jared and from what I have seen and heard about Jared, their posts were not inline with the quality individual I thought he was. I was stating my opinion that if people like that were working for him, then indeed shame on him. I never insinuated Jared had anything to do with their comments.

Jared You are correct. If they are not in your employment, you are not responsible for what they say or how they act. In my opinion if they still were employed, that would be different.

STEVE IN SOCAL
09-07-2011, 02:39 PM
SIS My comment was directed at Jared, whom I have met, not you. Obviously your 100 posts have taught you little in reading comprehension as well as manners. So can it.

From previous postings I knew that the posters in question had worked for Jared and from what I have seen and heard about Jared, their posts were not inline with the quality individual I thought he was. I was stating my opinion that if people like that were working for him, then indeed shame on him. I never insinuated Jared had anything to do with their comments.

Jared You are correct. If they are not in your employment, you are not responsible for what they say or how they act. In my opinion if they still were employed, that would be different.

If you don't want someone commenting on your posts, then send a PM...that's how it works. In fact, maybe you should stay on the bench til you know who the good guys are, and not start throwing accusations willy nilly. Just sayin...

GotBass?
09-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Absolutely Huck. Jared's a top notch guy. And South Lake can't be beat for its beauty. I've been fishing the Eastern Sierras for a little over 30 years and have caught big fish at every lake and creek in the ES. It just didn't happen this time. How some people took that as a rag on South Lake or perhaps the staff up there...is beyond me.

By the way...LMAO at your Cheerios comment. But I don't think that was the case...as the poster is still on Gerber's and has a ways to go before he graduates to solid food.

The original post started by none other then SierraPeaks read as a rag on South Lake. Its a shame that last thread was closed because someones feelings got hurt when called a prick. Then to try and look tough SierraPeaks threatens two members (jeff4321 and GotBass?) who post about his "disappointment". Now here he is starting another thread so he can continue his rant but this time on the two memebers.

Get over yourself...

The fact jeff posted on it again proves the point that your post read as a rag on South Lake.

I have no affiliation with South Lake other then the fact I fish it and consider it one of the best fisheries you can drive to on the eastern sierras.

SP, Im not sure if this post is so you can continue to spout your bullsheet or try and restore a poor reputation. Either way looks like someones upset and wants others to pout with him. My offer still stands if you want to grow a pair.

Big Country
09-07-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm up there this Thurs - Mon Jared and if I can talk my dumbass buddies out of fishing the loop all 4 days, they I will definitely swing by and chuckle at the fact that a South Lake post got locked down like a DVL post.

Too funny!

GotBass?
09-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Thank you for the report. I enjoyed reading it. Some of the comments from the local Alpers gang...not so much. Although there are Alpers to be had still in South Lake, being around when the Alpers truck shows up makes it a tad easier to hang a few.

LOL the picture of the 4 alpers infront of Parchers were caught in one 6 hour outing weeks after the first alpers plant. The late season coupled with the still rising lake waters were the perfect conditions we trout scouts were looking for and it paid off in a huge way that weekend, 5 fish over 3.5lbs with a 6 and a 9 whacked on the same day.

South Lake was pure EPIC.

Some of us have put in a lot of time and work. If you want to discredit someone on here, tell everyone they hook em and cook em! Not that they hang around the alpers truck, LOL. You ever tried catching freshly stocked fish? They are usually in more of a shock then a feeding frenzy.

jeff4321
09-07-2011, 05:31 PM

Jared has nothing to do with this.

phishin phool
09-07-2011, 07:25 PM
To see the original post as a rag on South Lake makes me believe your not to bright, and then posting your stupid message just confirms it. Here is a guy reporting we was bummed out that he didn't get bigger fish, how is that a rag on South Lake. Here is a guy who has been fishing the Sierras longer than you have probably been alive and knows a helluva lot about being a true fisherman than you. There is no call to be calling people names for a honest post. Thats immature and stupid. Trout scouts....LMAO!
The original post started by none other then SierraPeaks read as a rag on South Lake. Its a shame that last thread was closed because someones feelings got hurt when called a prick. Then to try and look tough SierraPeaks threatens two members (jeff4321 and GotBass?) who post about his "disappointment". Now here he is starting another thread so he can continue his rant but this time on the two memebers.

Get over yourself...

The fact jeff posted on it again proves the point that your post read as a rag on South Lake.

I have no affiliation with South Lake other then the fact I fish it and consider it one of the best fisheries you can drive to on the eastern sierras.

SP, Im not sure if this post is so you can continue to spout your bullsheet or try and restore a poor reputation. Either way looks like someones upset and wants others to pout with him. My offer still stands if you want to grow a pair.

STEVE IN SOCAL
09-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Jared has nothing to do with this.

He was talking to Jared, not YOU!

TroutOnly
09-07-2011, 08:01 PM
GOTASS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, RYAN YOU MISSED UP NOW I KNOW YOURE NEW NAME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,

SierraPeaks
09-07-2011, 08:03 PM
To see the original post as a rag on South Lake makes me believe your not to bright, and then posting your stupid message just confirms it. Here is a guy reporting we was bummed out that he didn't get bigger fish, how is that a rag on South Lake. Here is a guy who has been fishing the Sierras longer than you have probably been alive and knows a helluva lot about being a true fisherman than you. There is no call to be calling people names for a honest post. Thats immature and stupid. Trout scouts....LMAO!

LOL...thanks Phishin.
I was originally going to say that I've been fishing the Sierras longer than they've been alive. But it's OK. Let the two of them have their fishing fantasy fun.

They can tell each other how they are superb fishermen while giving each other a reach around.

Ryguy
09-07-2011, 08:16 PM
GOTASS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, RYAN YOU MISSED UP NOW I KNOW YOURE NEW NAME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,

Haha thats not me, i dont post anymore im a full time lurker haha

Whittierte: "Thank you for the report. I enjoyed reading it. Some of the comments from the local Alpers gang...not so much. Although there are Alpers to be had still in South Lake, being around when the Alpers truck shows up makes it a tad easier to hang a few."

ANd i dont appreciate being called a truck chaser, as going up on a vactation 2 weeks after the trout stocking is hardly chasing a truck. its called knowing how to fish. Whittierte your a NOOB!!!

P.S. South lake owns!!!!!!!!!!!

TrOuT FeVeR
09-07-2011, 08:37 PM
man to bad alpers wont be stocking the south fork or the north fork and intake 2 and north lake.south lake will still be stocking still though.

sierraslam
09-08-2011, 04:08 PM
I think it might time for the can't we all just get along song. This should help everyone calm down. Much love FNNers!http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSierraslam?feature=mhsn#p/f/6/6OWnBmHl95s

Mountain Man Dan
09-09-2011, 11:44 AM
I was thinking more like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skU-jBFzXl0

fish-o-haulic
09-09-2011, 05:24 PM
I read your post to man just decided to keep quiet on it. i dont beleive you were bashing the just a little dissapointed is all. good post and keep em up, its funny how defensive some get over a simple post. Had they met you in real life all the crap your hearing woulda never been said for the simple fact that the internet seems to breed courage in the in the courageless.

phishin phool
09-09-2011, 05:39 PM
This is kinda freaky!!!!!!!!!! ;)
I was thinking more like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skU-jBFzXl0

sierraslam
09-09-2011, 07:40 PM
ya. Tiny frickin Tim?

billy b
09-12-2011, 11:09 AM
man to bad alpers wont be stocking the south fork or the north fork and intake 2 and north lake.south lake will still be stocking still though.

Did I read you right? No more Alper stocking of I2? I was there once ... SWEET! Trucks from 2 different places showed up ... one after the other. Had a nice spot there right where they pulled up. Then some clown who thought he was the National Trout Fishing expert of Los Angeles showed up and walked in BETWEEN my rod holders and started casting. Amazing ... then he started giving lectures on fishing. Most amazing thing I've seen in all my years.

seal
09-12-2011, 11:21 AM
From the Adopt A Creek website -

BISHOP — Aug. 19 marked the final plant of Adopt-A-Creek heavyweight Alpers rainbows, following close to two decades of the privately-funded non-profit program providing trophy-class rainbows for bishop-area waters.

"The final plant will be the middle fork of Bishop Creek and North Lake," said Ron Scira, who has spearheaded the operation since its beginning in 1994.

"It's unfortunate, but the money we need to operate just hasn't come through, and a lot of people who promised funds didn't produce. Our operating cost has been right around $5,000 a month. We're entirely dependent on private funding. The money's not there and the economy isn't helping."

He added, "It's been a great run, I have no regrets. The program has been very popular with our visiting anglers and has been good for the community from an economic standpoint." The primary funding source over the years was a trading card company, but the economy forced the company to end that commitment last year.

Past years have seen Bishop Creek, Intake II and North Lake on the Adopt-A-Creek stocking schedule, providing anglers with the chance at taking a trophy-class rainbow. Alpers trout stocking from other sources, DFG, Bishop Chamber of Commerce, SCE and private resorts will continue. The program was entirely dependent on private funding.

Scira is the operator of Creekside RV Park and plans to remain in the Bishop area. He will continue to stock private water at his location ("Ron's Pond") with heavyweight Alpers earmarked for his guests.

billy b
09-12-2011, 12:37 PM
OUCH

Thanks for taking the time to post

RiverWalker
09-13-2011, 05:40 PM
This is truly sad news! I guess my $100 donation to Ron at the last Fred Hall Show didn't help much! I received a nice Adopt a creek shirt though. J/K. On a serious note, the Adopt a creek program really enhanced the Bishop drainage fishery and I can only hope he receives funding for next season and beyond. The fishery will still be good. Just not the same! We've actually been seeing and feeling the effects of the cut backs for a few years now. Lunkers are expensive to stock and Ron's said that his budget has been decreasing for a few years so instead of buying a few 5 plus pounders to stock, his been settleing for 2 to 4 pounders. All of the business owners in town should all agree to pay some sort of tax to fund the program. After all, and I could be wrong but I believe it's the fishing that brings people to Bishop. Not the Mule days or hot rod car shows. Other than that, mainly the gas stations and Schats get business from the peeps on the way to and from Mammoth and June Lake. A few motels and other businesses were supporting him but not many. Wouldn't it be nice if some wealthy celebrity from the LA area who's an avid fisherman heard about this and made a sizable donation! One could dream right? Anyone one know any of the rich and famous who would want to gets some good pub? I believe upper deck donated about $20,000 annually. That's pocket change and a nice tax write off for most of them!

Sierra_Smitty
09-13-2011, 08:16 PM
This is truly sad news! I guess my $100 donation to Ron at the last Fred Hall Show didn't help much! I received a nice Adopt a creek shirt though. J/K. On a serious note, the Adopt a creek program really enhanced the Bishop drainage fishery and I can only hope he receives funding for next season and beyond. The fishery will still be good. Just not the same! We've actually been seeing and feeling the effects of the cut backs for a few years now. Lunkers are expensive to stock and Ron's said that his budget has been decreasing for a few years so instead of buying a few 5 plus pounders to stock, his been settleing for 2 to 4 pounders. All of the business owners in town should all agree to pay some sort of tax to fund the program. After all, and I could be wrong but I believe it's the fishing that brings people to Bishop. Not the Mule days or hot rod car shows. Other than that, mainly the gas stations and Schats get business from the peeps on the way to and from Mammoth and June Lake. A few motels and other businesses were supporting him but not many. Wouldn't it be nice if some wealthy celebrity from the LA area who's an avid fisherman heard about this and made a sizable donation! One could dream right? Anyone one know any of the rich and famous who would want to gets some good pub? I believe upper deck donated about $20,000 annually. That's pocket change and a nice tax write off for most of them!

Adopt a creek was awesome while it lasted - but in a tough economy, there just wasn't enough money out there to make it all happen. Ron didn't have the time or energy to run it anymore. He tried to get me to take it over but I'm too swamped running my own business to put the effort into rebuilding the program. The 20K from Upper Deck was well over half the total funding - pretty much impossible to take a hit like that.

At some point, I believe that a new program will make an appearance - but it will probably take a season or two for that to come to fruition. Until that time you're pretty much down to South Lake or Sabrina if you want a chance at a big fish once the holdovers from this summer are gone. We usually give adoptacreek 1000 or so each year, we'll probably put those dollars in the creek between our resort and Weir Pond to get the most bang for our buck now that the program is no more.

One other thing to note, fishing doesn't carry an economic monopoly in Bishop.....tourism is a lot more varied in Bishop than one would think. I wish it was as big a deal in Bishop as it is to the summer June Lake economy because we'd probably get more public funding for fish stocking programs.

flytyingreloader
09-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Smitty--

That last paragraph of your above post was an eye-opening surprise to me. I figured angling was AT LEAST 75% of the tourism draw for the Bishop area. And I prefer a spinal tap to visiting Bishop either for Mule Days or the Tri-County Fair. And the car shows.....whatever. I like my old cars restored, not reworked and trailered.

I'll be up your way again soon for Fall color trout fishing.

Sierra_Smitty
09-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Smitty--

That last paragraph of your above post was an eye-opening surprise to me. I figured angling was AT LEAST 75% of the tourism draw for the Bishop area. And I prefer a spinal tap to visiting Bishop either for Mule Days or the Tri-County Fair. And the car shows.....whatever. I like my old cars restored, not reworked and trailered.

I'll be up your way again soon for Fall color trout fishing.

Fishing is probably 75% of my business and the rest of us in the canyon, but not for the valley. All the big events, fairs, and other activities (climbing, photography, snow activities, offroading, dirt bike riding etc) make up for a huge part of area visitors. For instance, there are as many climbing shops as tackle shops. I didn't quite realize it until I lived here....but there is a lot going on that was simply off my radar because I didn't partake in those activities.

See you soon...things are just now starting to yellow up a bit and the evening chill is here, fall fishing has arrived.

jrockn
09-13-2011, 11:57 PM
i agree. then pups need to chill. this site is all about fishing!

RiverWalker
09-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Hey Jared...

Thanks for chiming in. You of all people on this board knows best on how the closure of the adopt a creek program will affect the Bishop area so I appreciate the response. I'll still be hitting the area about 3 times a year as I have been doing for many many years now regardless. I have no doubt that the fishing will still be great. I'll just miss the fact that we anglers had a great shot at catching some nice sized fish out of the small creeks up there. That's what kind of set the Bishop drainage apart from other areas for me. There's nothing like testing ones skills by trying land a brute on UL gear in a small creek. I know there's still big fish in the Lower O but it's usually too hot over there for my liking and the scenery around the Lower O just isn't very pleasant comparing to spots in the upper elevations. Same goes for the Upper O, McGee creek, E Walker, and Hot creek. I guess the only other small creeks in an Alpine setting that holds some big fish would be Rush and Robinson creek. Either way, I enjoy the fishing and scenery almost as much the catching. No complaints here. Just a little sadness.

Like FlyTyingreloader said, your last paragraph was an eye opener for me too. I also assumed that the fishing would draw the majority of the tourism in your area. In all my years up there, I've seen the masses of photographers in the fall, know and spoke to a few rock climbers, know others and go off roading myself up there, and seen the fair and car show crowd. They all pretty much had 1 thing in common, they all love to fish the area as well while up there (except for most of the photographers! lol). Maybe it's who I surround myself with! lol.

I'll be up there towards the end of October for our annual 'near closer trip'. We stayed at your place last year and the guys loved it so it's safe to say we'll probably be making a reservation in the near future. Hope to see you then.

Adopt a creek was awesome while it lasted - but in a tough economy, there just wasn't enough money out there to make it all happen. Ron didn't have the time or energy to run it anymore. He tried to get me to take it over but I'm too swamped running my own business to put the effort into rebuilding the program. The 20K from Upper Deck was well over half the total funding - pretty much impossible to take a hit like that.

At some point, I believe that a new program will make an appearance - but it will probably take a season or two for that to come to fruition. Until that time you're pretty much down to South Lake or Sabrina if you want a chance at a big fish once the holdovers from this summer are gone. We usually give adoptacreek 1000 or so each year, we'll probably put those dollars in the creek between our resort and Weir Pond to get the most bang for our buck now that the program is no more.

One other thing to note, fishing doesn't carry an economic monopoly in Bishop.....tourism is a lot more varied in Bishop than one would think. I wish it was as big a deal in Bishop as it is to the summer June Lake economy because we'd probably get more public funding for fish stocking programs.

cpt_majestic
09-19-2011, 02:40 PM
But this doesn't mean Alpers will be eliminated from the Bishop area completely correct? DFG will still do their scheduled stocks?