PDA

View Full Version : Some call it irresponsible. What do you think?

Viejo
09-06-2011, 07:49 AM
This post has created an international storm on the internet. A Lake Tahoe guide posted this trip report on catching very large Golden Trout:

http://imhooked.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1313715834/0

The resulting uproar has literally gone around the world. He claims that he doesn't eat frozen fish and that he and his boy ate every one of "God's Candy" as he calls them. He fishes with treble hooks, a blend of powerbait and worms.

Is this the best trip report ever posted or is this an example of the kind of sportsman we can no longer afford to celebrate with the increase in back country use and access?

Your thoughts?

teejay
09-06-2011, 09:27 AM
On one hand, maybe they were not breaking the law as far as limits, but from my personal experience that’s an awful lot of fish for two people to eat in the backcountry. And then to go on and make this statement: “But the forces of fresh meat prevailed and we headed home some what lighter and anemic”. How much more "fresh meat" do they need?
Also, I just hope that they didn't release the ones after laying them on the grass, granite rock and after sticking their fingers in their gills.

STEVE IN SOCAL
09-06-2011, 10:47 AM
He seems to know what he's doing. Not sure if the power bait was needed, but it's legal (unless there were tackle restrictions in that area). I'm not a big fan of bait period, but people use it. I say leave the guy alone, and kudos for taking his son on an epic adventure.

sierraslam
09-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Holy smokes! What a bunch of huge Golden Trout! I took all kinds of heat when 6 of us kept 5 or 6 big trout from Crowley. This guy probably gets death threats from some people. As long as each of them didn't go over there limits, I guess there ok. I'm pretty sure they can use what ever bait they want in that area. I've have found that most of the people who rip into posts like that one, would never do the work it takes to fish those areas anyways. Good to see that there are still some very large Golden's in the Sierras.

smokehound
09-06-2011, 12:35 PM
On one hand, he was within the law. On the other hand, they were pretty irresponsible by keeping the huge ones. This WILL have consequences in the future. Large fish create large offspring.

In these areas, the big ones are the only real apex predators in the lake, and taking the bigger fish-eating goldens is very bad for an unstocked body of water.

It's unlikely many poachers (who tend to be poor and unlicensed) will bother making the brutal trek.

These guys had it easy. They used horseys :LOL:

City Dad
09-06-2011, 01:24 PM
The main thing I felt was a sense of envy. That's Bucket List fishing there. So, I suppose my opinion is probably influenced heavily by my deep feelings of jealousy.

IMHO those guys may seem like decent enough folks, but I think their actions were gluttonous. It may be their right to kill all those fish, but having a right to do something doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do.

And I have no sympathy for anyone who posts pictures on a public forum and then gets their feelings hurt by comments. If one is really that sensitive, one should refrain from posts and stick to personal messages.

Stormcrow
09-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Heres a point that I have made TIME and TIME again:

SIMPLY BECAUSE SOMEONE MAY BE ACTING WITHIN THE LAW DOES NOT MAKE THEIR ACTIONS RESPONSIBLE OR ETHICAL

Anyone who thinks otherwise is, in my opinion, completely ignorant.

I think the story is a travesty.....whether they ate them or not.

smokehound
09-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Heres a point that I have made TIME and TIME again:

SIMPLY BECAUSE SOMEONE MAY BE ACTING WITHIN THE LAW DOES NOT MAKE THEIR ACTIONS RESPONSIBLE OR ETHICAL

Anyone who thinks otherwise is, in my opinion, completely ignorant.

I think the story is a travesty.....whether they ate them or not.Exactly. Those fish took a loooooooong time to get that big!

City Dad
09-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Exactly. Those fish took a loooooooong time to get that big!

I see how it is now, smokehound - you can agree with Stromcow but you can't agree with me...

You are a rabid anti-Sasquite.

STEVE IN SOCAL
09-06-2011, 04:01 PM
I see we have some wildlife biologists on here. Just how loooong is loooong? Could it be that they're about to eat themselves out of a job? Maybe culling out some of the toads is beneficial. Just sayin...unless you're a biologist that has studied that body of water. Jealousy is a nasty emotion.

fndaway66
09-06-2011, 04:28 PM
On one hand, maybe they were not breaking the law as far as limits, but from my personal experience that’s an awful lot of fish for two people to eat in the backcountry. And then to go on and make this statement: “But the forces of fresh meat prevailed and we headed home some what lighter and anemic”. How much more "fresh meat" do they need?
Also, I just hope that they didn't release the ones after laying them on the grass, granite rock and after sticking their fingers in their gills.

The Fresh Meat line is a description of the mosquitos feasting on them and going home with less blood (lighter) and anemic (iron deficiency).

fndaway66
09-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Guys he was out there for 9 days, Rode a horse for 4 hours, Fished multiple lakes, ate 10 fish out of 100's they caught to supplement the food. You burn so many calories hiking at that altitude with 30-50 packs. Those fish are pure protein and some fat = energy. As he said those fish grow in cycles then die off. For those of you who know Kirman it's the same way. The guy didn't put a dent in those fish. If the DFG is planting cutts the will plant goldens also. The fish that do spawn in the feeder creeks will replenish the lake. Put it on your bucket list guys cuz most of us will never see that part of the country.

Viejo
09-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Interesting mix of reactions. Be curious to see how sierra_smitty might weigh in on this?

Stormcrow
09-06-2011, 05:15 PM
I see we have some wildlife biologists on here. Just how loooong is loooong? Could it be that they're about to eat themselves out of a job? Maybe culling out some of the toads is beneficial. Just sayin...unless you're a biologist that has studied that body of water. Jealousy is a nasty emotion.

Actually...I AM a biologist. Although I have only read of the bodies of water here and not studied them directly, I think it is safe to say that if even 30% of fisherman entertained catches such as these consistently, this water would be nearly devoid of this age/stage category of species within the that ecosystem. You dont need to be a scientist to see that. You can get a idea of what I mean by looking at the nearly extinct numbers of record giant atlantic bluefin tuna, black marlin, and sturgeon.

Primary reason: OVERFISHING.

Go figure.

STEVE IN SOCAL
09-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Iwas not there, I have no idea the numbers of fish they were seeing. Hard to judge if they overfished it.

I do have 2 criticisms, though:
Not cool to jam their fingers into the gills for a photo opp (unless those were the ones they kept)

Posting it on the internet...not a good idea. My first thought was "I'm going there"...multiply that many times over and it could spell the kind of disaster stormcrow is talking about. Not sure why that area doesn't have tackle and slot restrictions...?

teejay
09-06-2011, 06:25 PM
The Fresh Meat line is a description of the mosquitos feasting on them and going home with less blood (lighter) and anemic (iron deficiency).

You certainly are right. I made that quote out of context. My mistake.

simijab
09-06-2011, 08:34 PM
His pics made me want to punch him in the face

GotBass?
09-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Jealousy is a nasty emotion.

^^ Well said

GotBass?
09-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Posting it on the internet...not a good idea. My first thought was "I'm going there"...multiply that many times over and it could spell the kind of disaster stormcrow is talking about. Not sure why that area doesn't have tackle and slot restrictions...?

He didnt give any info on where he was other then Mt. Whitney zone. Unless you've been in that EXACT area you'd probably never know where to go. The area around there alone has countless lakes and is demanding terrain which limits the amount of people who access the waters. Even as one of the easiest passes over the eastern crest they still took a pack train over...

The area they were in is not far or hard to get to, the exact spot was never given out. Although that basin is one of the most stunning in the sierras and off a main route over the eastern crest it rarely if ever sees enough pressure to ruin a fishery that great.

Has anyone considered that maybe by catching those fish and elminating them from the food chain in that lake, the fishery may only get stronger in the following years? (Similar to eliminating older stags to strengthen a herd)

Jealousy is a beotch, keep that in mind.

Viejo
09-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Jealousy is certainly not a word that comes to mind when viewing the photos. I'm not jealous of those who can fish for Tarpon or Bonefish or Taipan in faraway places. I also don't see lots of gilled fish in the trip reports from those places.

I happen to know the pack outfit...the pass they rode up to and where they were headed. The pack outfit has already had a number of inquiries about going to "that lake with giant Goldens". You are right...It's not that far and not that hard to get to. One look at the shape of the "Captain" and that's pretty apparent. The location was given out in very early posts but removed.

Question...would you have the same opinion if those were fifteen 5-10lb female bass they were holding and eating each day for 8 days taken out of a small lake?

I realize that you have expressed the desire to beat the US Golden Trout record in lakes near here and hope you do it. I also know that you practice C&R on 99% of your back country fish and would never have a post with pictures like that.

Stormcrow
09-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Actually Im not jealous at all. That kind of travel for that kind of fish just doesnt appeal to me. I was just making an observation from a conservation point of view. Keep your goldens....Ill keep my DD Largies at DVL and Football Smallies at Havasu...

:-)

smokehound
09-06-2011, 11:04 PM
I see we have some wildlife biologists on here. Just how loooong is loooong? Could it be that they're about to eat themselves out of a job? Maybe culling out some of the toads is beneficial. Just sayin...unless you're a biologist that has studied that body of water. Jealousy is a nasty emotion.Could it be this sentence was remarkably stupid?

stressD
09-06-2011, 11:14 PM
WTF! So the guy went on a fishing trip with his son and ate some of the catch, big freaking deal. This is some mob mentality BS. Some bored idiot decided to make an issue out of this guy's post and now look what's happening. This fishing report posted by a nobody out of nowhere is getting publicized all over the internet. I wonder who's doing more damage to this fishery.

GotBass?
09-06-2011, 11:50 PM
The pack outfit has already had a number of inquiries about going to "that lake with giant Goldens".

Lucky then for us NPS has a regulated quota and limits the number of people who can enter over that pass and being as that pass is popular for a lot of hikers doing Whitney from the back, that helps keep the number of people down who would be staying up there for an extended length.

You are right...It's not that far and not that hard to get to. One look at the shape of the "Captain" and that's pretty apparent.

Lol agreed. BTW great views from on top your "Capitan"

The location was given out in very early posts but removed.

Sad but again quotas help keep numbers very limited. The terrian around this area is rough, rugged and unforgivable terrian which alone limits the amount of people, and those who do not understand this utimately pay a high price.

Question...would you have the same opinion if those were fifteen 5-10lb female bass they were holding and eating each day for 8 days taken out of a small lake?

Lets keep it in fair comparison first. Most of those look to be averaging 3lbs to 5lbs (4 to 6 years old), far at the end of their life cycle. A bass at 5 - 10lbs is certainly in its prime and could potentially be hurting the population by removing them. If they were 12 - 20lbs bass I wouldnt care, but jealousy would certainly be running through my mind. Also again to stay relevant not all of those were female Goldens.

I realize that you have expressed the desire to beat the US Golden Trout record in lakes near here and hope you do it. I also know that you practice C&R on 99% of your back country fish and would never have a post with pictures like that.

Thank you, I appreciate that. I spend a tremendous amount of time in and around the high country of Kings Canyon and its surrounding areas. I was hooked ever since I caught my first Golden. The sierras and all its dramatic beauty is what continually draws me back every year though.

Remember, these lakes were last stocked in the 1970s, some lakes maybe even since the 1950s. The fishery has remained healthy for decades. NPS since the 80s have implemented quotas to prevent the destruction of wilderness areas and as the years continue, stock use is being restricted more and more. I actually made plans to do a trip for the first time in this area after reading about a packers report with basically the exact same story from 1969. If you google the lake, you'll probably find the same report.

Im not here advocating what these guys did but I dont see the reason for all the crying by those who are C&R nazis, 99% of whom will never be able to get to the area to actually catch one. The world class goldens that are left are in remote, off the beaten path areas and those areas remain that way for good reason.

Those mountains dont give up their secrets easily!

STEVE IN SOCAL
09-07-2011, 06:16 AM
Could it be this sentence was remarkably stupid?

Love it when I'm called names...it means I just won the argument.

Take a valium, SH...the guy ate some fish.

kendo
09-07-2011, 07:39 AM
I really dont know...I mean really guys? Really? If you have an issue with people not C&R the you should sign petitions and help the DFG close down and remove these fisheries for all fishermen. I see that this over crying about issues that are not hugely detrimental to the people actually being more detrimental. Think about all the laws that are being created every day to limit you on what you can and can not do. All of these laws are from crying people that believe their kids could never shoot someone in the face. Must be the video games!!! Hey lets go fish off of Laguna beach! Oh wait you cant keep a sand crab there without the man breathing down your neck.... This is the way its going to turn out. More crying means more regulations and less areas to fish. If he was out of line by keeping more than he could eat or killing off fish and leaving them to die then cry all you want but he seems to be in line and I'm fine with that. Follow the rules set, stay in line, and stop forcing your beliefs on people that are following the laws that were created.

Marley
09-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Nice fish, beautiful scenery, a trip with your son you (and he) likely will never forget. In other posts I would have seen that called "priceless."
I replied to a post with pictues on a guy's over-the-top successful trip to Kirman Lake last summer and you thought I had raped his daughter, the vitriol I got for naming that lake. But all but handful of people have forgotten about the pictures in that post and still fewer ever seriously made plans to fish there, and of those 14, 9 never made it past the trail head. And it's a relatively short, flat hike to get to.
Point being that this post will have no effect whatsoever on backcountry golden trout fishing. There will be dry summers followed by ultra-cold winters that kill far more fish than these two or three guys ever could. Anyone remember Arctic Grayling and what happened to them?
I would think that the bigger concern here would be the number of poeple going into the back country and the impact of their footprints (and trash, and ash, and #'s 1 and 2), not necessarily catching the fish. I mean, these guys still had to have the talent to get those big, wary fish to bite.

seal
09-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Anybody that does that work to find Goldens deserves some fresh meat if they want it and it's legal! But if fish were that plentiful I think I would have taken the modest size ones and let the trophy's go, but by the looks of it the modest size fish in this area would be trophy golden's in a lot of fishery's so even if he posted only smaller fish kept some would give him hell for that, best to just keep these story's to yourself and family/friends not worth getting the grief from the Internet just taints the experience.

City Dad
09-07-2011, 10:02 AM
LOL! The only thing more ferocious than the attacks on good old-fashioned meat pictures are the fiery defenses of good old-fashioned meat pictures.

But unless I'm deaf and dumb in both eyes, I looks like the title of this thread is "Some call it irresponsible. What do you think?" So, I’m not sure I understand the anger at folks who are saying what they think... Remember INTERNET TEARS ARE NOT COOL.

Some of us feel that taking limits every time it's possible is irresponsible. Some of us also feel that it's wrong to kill a fish just for a picture - I'm talking about those awsome "squeeze and release" photos of dirt-caked trout from guys who claim to be "100% C&R"

If you like to kill the maximum, legal amount of fish you possibly can every time you hit the water, that's your business. If you really need to post pics of yourself at the cost of a fish, walk tall. I personally ignore those posts. But if someone is going to ask me what I think about killing fish for fun fun, I'll tell them.

smokehound
09-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Love it when I'm called names...it means I just won the argument.

Take a valium, SH...the guy ate some fish.I didn't call YOU stupid, I called your sentence stupid..

And I dont need anti-anxiety medication =P

seal
09-07-2011, 10:46 AM
I think without knowing the actual name of the lake, the challenges getting there (looked to be a lot of work), the fish population, average size and history of fish in the lake it is impossible to make a logical assesment of whether or not it is responsible or not to keep the fish that this guy kept.

So there is no logical answer to the question posed by Viejo in this thread, that would be my opinion.

City Dad
09-07-2011, 10:49 AM
I didn't call YOU stupid, I called your sentence stupid..

And I dont need anti-anxiety medication =P

WFT?!?!? Valium is an anti-anxiety med???? It's not an expectorate????? Wow. Looks like I've got some explaining to do.

City Dad
09-07-2011, 10:52 AM
I think without knowing the actual name of the lake, the challenges getting there (looked to be a lot of work), the fish population, average size and history of fish in the lake it is impossible to make a logical assesment of whether or not it is responsible or not to keep the fish that this guy kept.

So there is no logical answer to the question posed by Viejo in this thread, that would be my opinion.

True enough. But logic isn't as much fun!

smokehound
09-07-2011, 10:57 AM
WFT?!?!? Valium is an anti-anxiety med???? It's not an expectorate????? Wow. Looks like I've got some explaining to do. You should have realized that after the 5th mucinex didnt get you high. :ROFL:

Viejo
09-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Let's add a little different twist to this discussion. Regardless of your take on meat fishing pictures....what if the pictures were taken in the National Park where there is zero take?

seal
09-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Hang um from a tree! The fish that is, don't want the bears to get to them:LOL:.

I think of course that would be as wrong from a legal and ethical standpoint as you can get no matter how remote the water was.

City Dad
09-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Let's add a little different twist to this discussion. Regardless of your take on meat fishing pictures....what if the pictures were taken in the National Park where there is zero take?

Oh that would be cool, 'cause you know, they had to pay to park there.

golfish
09-07-2011, 02:54 PM
I took all kinds of heat when 6 of us kept 5 or 6 big trout from Crowley. .

This kills me. Crowley is mainly a put-grow and take lake, its the guides that tick me off the most. I've had a few of them yell at me from their boats about how long I'm playing a fish. God save you if you try and keep one.

GrievousAngel
09-07-2011, 02:55 PM

Is that a hypothetical twist? Because a) there's a distinct possibility they WERE within national park boundaries and b) being within national park boundaries doesn't automatically mean "zero limit".

GotBass?
09-07-2011, 03:23 PM

They are in a National Park. First thing I considered when I saw the pictures, right after the thought "I hope they didnt have a camp fire at that elevation". NPS training at its finest!

The only regulations in that area they had to watch out for was a zero take for native species (rainbow trout, Sacramento sucker, roach, and sculpin) BELOW 9k. They were well above that elevation and no "natives" in those pictures.

Different if they were in a zero take zone and actually kept those not to mention NPS and DFG would be so far up their arse right now.

There was a very similiar reaction from people when Brandon Parker took his 7.5lbs Golden Glory and its not cool. The haters all over the internet and locally ruined the joy he shouldve felt after catching such an astonishing fish and I hope this father and son dont end up feeling the same way!

Those are once in a lifetime fish and a once in a lifetime experience. Let them enjoy it for a while.

smokehound
09-07-2011, 05:07 PM
They are in a National Park. First thing I considered when I saw the pictures, right after the thought "I hope they didnt have a camp fire at that elevation". NPS training at its finest!

The only regulations in that area they had to watch out for was a zero take for native species (rainbow trout, Sacramento sucker, roach, and sculpin) BELOW 9k. They were well above that elevation and no "natives" in those pictures.

Different if they were in a zero take zone and actually kept those not to mention NPS and DFG would be so far up their arse right now.

There was a very similiar reaction from people when Brandon Parker took his 7.5lbs Golden Glory and its not cool. The haters all over the internet and locally ruined the joy he shouldve felt after catching such an astonishing fish and I hope this father and son dont end up feeling the same way!

Those are once in a lifetime fish and a once in a lifetime experience. Let them enjoy it for a while. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tOzHocrBPAA/Ta4r9XwtLAI/AAAAAAAAAkE/xTVBhhXhvuU/s1600/fish+stringer-field+and+stream.jpg Since we're on the topic of greed :ROFL:

GotBass?
09-07-2011, 05:27 PM
The effects of mercury poisoning couldnt be clearer...

smokehound
09-07-2011, 08:22 PM
The effects of mercury poisoning couldnt be clearer...You're just jealous of his standard shirt. :LOL:

GotBass?
09-07-2011, 08:40 PM
You're just jealous of his standard shirt. :LOL:

Fackkk! What gave it away?? LOL

IncredibleHuck
09-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Just read up that even though the report is of him and his son, there was 4 more people on the action, for a total of 6 people there.

Also if you look at the pictures, some of the trout the man is holding, the son is holding later, just different spots on the chain stringer.

Viejo
09-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Interesting stuff.

Where did you read details that there were a total of six in his party? Not sure that is a good thing......6 X 5 = 30 fish a day.

Not sure why they would move fish to different positions on a stringer just for photos...but then anything is possible.

Appreciate all the different points of view. I'll be leaving tomorrow for a visit with God's Candy myself. Using the information provided by the good Captain Tahoe, the pack station, my Backcountry Fishing Unit Guide and of course, Google Earth, we'll be taking a different approach both in how we get there and how we fish the resource. We'll also be testing our ability to stay dry as thunderstorms are predicted most of the week.

sierraslam
09-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Looking forward to the pictures of you releasing huge Golden's, and showing the rest of us how it's done. I saw it stated somewhere that it will be an easy hike for you. I don't think those guy's had to work at all for those fish. I like to hike over the crest walking backwards. Can't wait for the pic's.

LiviDoll
09-08-2011, 09:33 AM
It doesn't appear as if they just went camping in someone's backyard. If you are going to go through all the effort of getting where they went, then I think they deserve the fruits of their labor. I think taking his son along makes all the difference in the world. His kid probably learned a lot on the trip, and after catching such amazing fish; it may have turned his kid onto the sport. If his son really did eat all of the fish, then his father taught him a very good lesson, if you kill it, you eat it-end of story. There is a reason there is a size limit on fish, if Fish and Game thought it was detrimental to keep larger fish, wouldn't here be a size restriction on them? I don't recall reading in the reg book that you can't take fish over 14 inches....I'm just saying. Everybody has their opinion, and I'm sure mine doesn't matter, but looking back to when my father took me on amazing fishing adventures, those are memories I will take to the grave with me.

Viejo
09-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Looking forward to the pictures of you releasing huge Golden's, and showing the rest of us how it's done. I saw it stated somewhere that it will be an easy hike for you. I don't think those guy's had to work at all for those fish. I like to hike over the crest walking backwards. Can't wait for the pic's.

Hey buddy! Thanks for the good wishes.

You won't see any pictures. I don't have a business to promote or anything to prove to you. I eat all my fish and those I don't, I throw on the rocks for the bears and wolverines.:Big Grin: Easy is relative if you work on staying in reasonable shape and have a pack weighing under 25lbs. Going over Army Pass is not like climbing Mt Whitney from the bottom...it's about four hours and a big sigh of accomplishment and relief. I do it better now at 64 then I did in 1956 with my Dad. Since I have been blessed with never having been affected with AMS, my biggest deal is water discipline.

We're having our base camp dropped by our friends mules. After he's done with us, he'll do turn around and is also packing in some DFG folks to do some netting and research on some other lakes nearby. He's been volunteering for the Park, USFS and CDFG for the past 23 years. it's nice to have friends with mules.

City Dad
09-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Ever notice how "the Government" is totally incompetent unless they have written fisheries regulations that fit our wants and desires? "The DFG says it's okay to take X number of fish so it must be the best thing for the fishery!"

Yep, that's why there's such huge populations of good-sized fish everywhere you look these days! slay, slay slay! ;)

GotBass?
09-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Hey buddy! Thanks for the good wishes.

You won't see any pictures. I don't have a business to promote or anything to prove to you. I eat all my fish and those I don't, I throw on the rocks for the bears and wolverines.:Big Grin: Easy is relative if you work on staying in reasonable shape and have a pack weighing under 25lbs. Going over Army Pass is not like climbing Mt Whitney from the bottom...it's about four hours and a big sigh of accomplishment and relief. I do it better now at 64 then I did in 1956 with my Dad. Since I have been blessed with never having been affected with AMS, my biggest deal is water discipline.

We're having our base camp dropped by our friends mules. After he's done with us, he'll do turn around and is also packing in some DFG folks to do some netting and research on some other lakes nearby. He's been volunteering for the Park, USFS and CDFG for the past 23 years. it's nice to have friends with mules.

Wha??? Not gonna attempt Old Army?? LOL it would get some excitement in your trip ;)

Whack em good Viejo! You should think about summiting Langley if you haven't already. Really easy approach once you are on the crest. Also from the most recent photos it looks like the cross country route to Crabtree is no longer covered in snow. If you've got time I highly recommend the middle lake at Crabtree!

Good luck out there, you are definately heading up the right time of year, especially with the insane snow pack this winter. The thunderstorms will add a little thrill to it all too.

smokehound
09-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Ever notice how "the Government" is totally incompetent unless they have written fisheries regulations that fit our wants and desires? "The DFG says it's okay to take X number of fish so it must be the best thing for the fishery!"

Yep, that's why there's such huge populations of good-sized fish everywhere you look these days! slay, slay slay! ;)What are you talking about? I see huge dinnerplate Bluegill at all the park lakes. :ROFL:

sierraslam
09-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I was being sarcastic about the hike being easy. I did New Army Pass a few years back, and it was tough for me. (25lbs. pack! I can never get mine under 40lbs.) We fished as far back as Sky Blue Lake, and it was a great trip. No 4-5 pound monsters like this guy's, but fish up to 17 inches long. The spot pack trips are great! I've done several to French Canyon that were all fantastic. Not cheap however. I got shut out on my attempt at The Golden ones this year. August 5th and my lakes were still frozen. That was a bummer. Going back in 2 weeks for another shot. If I get anything nice I will take a picture because I like to show off when ever possible. Good fishin!

Viejo
09-08-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm packed and heading up for a while. Looking forward to the time spent on high and almost looking forward to the predicted thunderstorms. Like being the bowling pin at a bowling alley when they are lighting off. Couple of thoughts....
First, be thankful you are on this forum. If you tried to share like this on the OP's forum you would have been banned in a heatbeat. Me included.
Second...On Sunday I will rise before sun up and take a moment at sunrise to remember those who died on 9/11 and those who have fallen in the fight since then. I will be thankful that there are still those who willingly put themselves in harm's way for the good of us all.

fish-o-haulic
09-08-2011, 08:18 PM
If no one minds me asking because ive never caught any other trout besides browns rainbows and cutthroat(at least i believe it was a cutthroat) are golden treated like lmb. because from the way some of you are acting it sure sounds like it to me. My opinion on the matter if they worked to catch the fish they should keep the fish. Now i dont fish for them but i say i dont think they should be harrassed(im mean that sarcastically of course). but if there catch is illegal then harrassment should be the least of there punishment.

Crawler
09-09-2011, 09:20 AM
I think that those fish probably tasted very good and provided some much needed protien. I know these ones did from my last trip. :LOL:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/yotamasters/457aed72.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/yotamasters/d2df85ab.jpg

JigStop
09-09-2011, 09:38 AM
I used to hunt ducks back in the Midwest and some of the public blinds there are "limit style" hunting on green heads. Most of those guys will have 150-200 mallards in their chest freezers by seasons end. Gluttony is pervasive and habitual. Speaking of which, I have a long range tuna dude in my neighborhood and he has 20ft long chest freezer full of tuna. Think he can eat or even give away that much?

seal
09-09-2011, 10:20 AM
I used to hunt ducks back in the Midwest and some of the public blinds there are "limit style" hunting on green heads. Most of those guys will have 150-200 mallards in their chest freezers by seasons end. Gluttony is pervasive and habitual. Speaking of which, I have a long range tuna dude in my neighborhood and he has 20ft long chest freezer full of tuna. Think he can eat or even give away that much?

Does this apply to someone that takes a limited amount of fish on a backpacking trip? I would not categorize that as "gluttony" and that's the discussion here.

sierraslam
09-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Nice Crawler! I see you like to push buttons too. I hope to doing the same thing 9-24.

Crawler
09-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Nice Crawler! I see you like to push buttons too. I hope to doing the same thing 9-24.

:LOL: I should probably not tell anyone that those were the only fish I have kept this season so far either. :LOL:

I would also like to point out to all the haters that I used barbless #4 single hooks too. :LOL:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a276/yotamasters/1ef53744.jpg

JohnnyBoy
09-09-2011, 01:52 PM
I guess it depends on your point of view. That said, probably 98% of the people who have seen that post don't have the money to, or if they did, the desire to make it all the way up to that body of water. The guide doesn't come cheap, nor do the horses. Then after all that, you still have to huff it in to get there. So take a chill pill. While I would realease the fish, I don't fault them for eating what they caught as long as it was within legal limits. Further, I read the post and nowhere did it even mention how they caught the fish, whether with bait, fly, lure or what.

If you want those fish you have to go where they are at, and that cost's money, witch eliminates most of you.

fish-o-haulic
09-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Me personally I am a chill person and fishing is a somewhat chill sport so I hate to come on here and see fishermen bash other fishermen if you think what he did was wrong then go out there figure out a way to make what he did ilegal and punish him or go out and call him out don't hide on a fishing forum and talk crap behind his back. My point in this post is just saying he kept his legal limit of fish if you think he shouldn't have kept them that's your opinion I may think some of you are ugly but that's my opinion don't bash him for fishing and keeping his catch which is something everyone here does. If you think the legal limit for this fish is too high then go get in a position to lower it, otherwise the guy did nothing wrong not trying to stir the pot just tired of seeing folks bash others for keeping a legal limit of fish

GrievousAngel
09-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I guess it depends on your point of view. That said, probably 98% of the people who have seen that post don't have the money to, or if they did, the desire to make it all the way up to that body of water. The guide doesn't come cheap, nor do the horses. Then after all that, you still have to huff it in to get there. So take a chill pill. While I would realease the fish, I don't fault them for eating what they caught as long as it was within legal limits. Further, I read the post and nowhere did it even mention how they caught the fish, whether with bait, fly, lure or what.

If you want those fish you have to go where they are at, and that cost's money, witch eliminates most of you.

You don't need to hire a guide or a pack service to fish there. Those lakes are free and accessible to anyone willing to make the stroll over the Sierra crest. You do need a permit if you want to stay overnight, but those are also free.

City Dad
09-12-2011, 03:21 PM
... If you want those fish you have to go where they are at, and that cost's money, witch eliminates most of you.

You spelled "which" wrong. Couldn't afford Office 2000?:Sad:

JohnnyBoy
09-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Yes I can afford office 2k. But I don't run that old stuff. I use Windows 7 and rushed through that post. I misspelled one word, so what. The point was most people wouldn't make the effort to get up to that body of water even if it is free.

JohnnyBoy
09-13-2011, 11:21 AM
You don't need to hire a guide or a pack service to fish there. Those lakes are free and accessible to anyone willing to make the stroll over the Sierra crest. You do need a permit if you want to stay overnight, but those are also free.

Fair enough. I'll belive that. In fact, that's great news to me. Getting back to my original point. Most people wont' take the effort to get there and it does take effort. So, those fish aren't poked as much. My theory.

That said, CPR or catch, picture, release is just easier. Who want's to pack fish back.

City Dad
09-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Fair enough. I'll belive that. In fact, that's great news to me. Getting back to my original point. Most people wont' take the effort to get there and it does take effort. So, those fish aren't poked as much. My theory.

That said, CPR or catch, picture, release is just easier. Who want's to pack fish back.

you forgot the ? at the end of your last sentence. Are you sure your not running ME?

sierraslam
09-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Structure my sentence ain't all dat good either.

sierraslam
09-13-2011, 09:30 PM
We killed this thread now, right?

casting call
09-13-2011, 09:43 PM
you forgot the ? at the end of your last sentence. Are you sure your not running ME?

You didn't capitalize the Y in You. You MUST be using NT. lol jk

The guy caught fish legally, consumed what he kept. Whats wrong with that? Its legal! What if he caught one fish, but said that he was too lazy to cook it so he just let it die and rot?

There is no asterisk in the DFG books that says its legal to keep your limit*

*but doing so will cause you grief from those with holier than thou attitudes.

What the guy did was legal, he was within his rights to keep his catch. Now, lets all go out and kill some Calicos!:Dead Horse:

City Dad
09-14-2011, 09:39 AM
You didn't capitalize the Y in You. You MUST be using NT. lol jk

The guy caught fish legally, consumed what he kept. Whats wrong with that? Its legal! What if he caught one fish, but said that he was too lazy to cook it so he just let it die and rot?

There is no asterisk in the DFG books that says its legal to keep your limit*

*but doing so will cause you grief from those with holier than thou attitudes.

What the guy did was legal, he was within his rights to keep his catch. Now, lets all go out and kill some Calicos!:Dead Horse:

windows 95 all the way.

The way I interpreted the question was "Is it irresponsible to take/kill as many fish as regulations will allow?"
My point of view is that always taking what the law says you can take isn't going to make for any Blue-ribbon fisheries. Take a look at some of the pictures from the "good old days" when limits were even more lenient. Do you see a lot of fishing like that around these days?