PDA

View Full Version : Bass Fishing: 2010 vs 2011

Sublime-Steve
09-06-2011, 07:03 AM
What's your input on what year was better for bass fishing, either from your home lake or all around?

Socal Bassman
09-06-2011, 07:20 PM
2010 was far better for me considering I haven't had a lot of time to fish this year due to work and family obligations. However, from what little time I did fish at my home lake (Perris) this year, I feel that it was better (quantity wise) than last year.

bman90278
09-06-2011, 07:32 PM
I feel that 2011 has been far better for me even though I've had very limited time to go fishing. Decided to throw only plastics this year and have been catching some good quality fish this summer.

-b

Kelster
09-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Since this is the first time that I have fished in over ten years I would say 2011.
Trout at Lake Gregory (2.6 Lb trout), Big Bear Lake ( numerous hold-over fish), Jenks Lake (trout and small bass), and the Lake Perris ( crappie, blue gill, red ear, small catfish:Shocked:, LMB, and PB LMB 6.75 lb on 2# test:Big Grin:)
Not a fair comparison but 2011 has spoiled me for 2012.

seal
09-07-2011, 09:25 AM
2011 great beginning of the year to early summer at the Wood but has slowed dramatically since or I haven't figured them out. Last year more weedbeds during peak of the summer and I was able to ambush them around the weeds this year far more open water.

Hoping for a turn on in the fall!

Sh1mano
09-09-2011, 02:55 PM
2010 was epic..

Not so much this year but there's still time this year for things to pick up for me.

Fishbreath
09-09-2011, 05:02 PM
My home lake is Vail, and there is absolutely no question that 2010 was far better than this year. Last year I logged 28 bass over seven pounds with several of those over eight and two over nine. This year I have only one over seven and only a handful over six. Assuming the big bass are still alive, the lake is just not giving them up like it used to. It couldn't just me, could it?

Old fishermen never die. They just smell that way.
The Best of Fishbreath (http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow)

Pete Marino
09-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Nooo... I think its just the Lake Fishbreath.. Vail has went down hill in my opinion.. I saw ALOT of signs of extremely bad things as far as the health of the bass when I was a member there... It concerned me alot because alot of the bass (Id say 80% of the bass I caught) looked to be in very bad condition...
Huge heads and rail bodies....I caught MANY bass there that had 8-10 lbers head but had the body of 3 lbers....or less. Some were disgusting looking... Only every now and then did I catch proportionate healthy looking bass. I suggested to managment that they needed to start a harvast of the bass to strengthen the herd but nothing was ever done about it. Now Im not an expert on the whole Bass Biology thing but things seemed pretty clear to my simpleton mind hahaha.. They had a serious overpopulation and probably alot of inbreeding because of it... Both are factors that Ive heard of that cause bass to look the way they did...
That is one of a few reasons why I didnt renew my membership.
The lake was and still is rich in nutrients and forage with the heavy population of Bluegill, Crappie, Shad, Crawdads and other types of bait so that isnt the problem....so again "in my opinion" its gotta be those other reasons...
Larry you can catch bass with the best of them out there...so its definetly not you... If you are struggling out there then ...ITS DAMN TOUGH OUT THERE!!!

Maybe its time to come have some fun on Perris.... youd like it out there...

Pete

Fishbreath
09-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Hi, Pete and thanks. I know we've had this conversation before haven't we. The bass population, especially the big ones, definitely crashed. They could really use some professional management. I was dreading this this time of year because this is when it got so bad before. But I am encouraged that the bass I am catching now look well fed and healthy. Some are just busting a gut they are so well fed. Big ones are still a no show, and we may just have to wait until these fast growing three and four pound ones get to be seven or eight in a couple of years. Here is a shot of one I caught this week. I couldn't resist taking a picture, not because of its size, but because of his fat belly. Why he wanted to keep eating, only he knows. Thanks. Larry

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/July282011.jpg

Old fishermen never die. They just smell that way.
The Best of Fishbreath (http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow)

El Capo
09-11-2011, 07:22 AM
2011 has been the year of the big fish

kwin
09-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Hmmmmm....Vail Lake tanking after everyone and their mother went there when the water at DVL made the ramp unusable. Never saw that coming......