PDA

View Full Version : South Lake / Sabrina / I2 Disappointment

SierraPeaks
09-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Got back today from a 4 day trip to South Lake (also fished I2 and Sabrina Sunday) And I must say...even though we caught a lot of fish...it was quite a disappointment only catching little 3/4 to 1.5 lb DFG dinks. Fished the inlets at South using mini jigs, power worms, crawlers. Caught about 40 with nothing over 1 LB. Drifted crawlers at the rock slide and caught a few the same size. Trolled the rock slide and the south shore and around the island with Crawlers, orange power worms on a worm harness, Needlefish, and Flatfish and caught 7 with the biggest coming in at 1.5 lbs.
Same story size-wise at Sabrina and I2. The weather was perfect...but all in all...I expected better quality fish.

Oh well...fish happens.

Sorry...no photos other than scenery shots. The fish weren't worth taking photos.

TROUT MASTERS
09-06-2011, 06:20 AM
You should try grant and george up in mammoth....

SierraPeaks
09-06-2011, 10:15 AM
You should try grant and george up in mammoth....

I tried to talk my buddies into heading up to the Loop, Lundy, or the Mammoth Lakes on Saturday afternoon...but they didn't want to break camp and move since we only had one day left.

billy b
09-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks for taking the time to write ... I always believe in "balanced reporting" ... so I'll even report a skunk day

Just curious what is a "worm harness" ... and which nfish did you try?

Do you suppose those young gents knew where the big uns were going to be planted and had the perfect timing?

I'll be on South Lake friday a.m. ... passing through on my way to the L.A. Then Gull and Grant on Monday return. Wish they had pontoon boats on Grant.

STEVE IN SOCAL
09-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Four of us fished South Lake Thursday afternoon (after shooting our dove limits in the valley). 80 fish total, with two Alpers, a 2.8 and a 2.3. At one time we had 3 Alpers on at once, one broke off, mine spit the hook and one was landed. It was an epic cast and blast day.

chris273
09-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Got back today from a 4 day trip to South Lake (also fished I2 and Sabrina Sunday) And I must say...even though we caught a lot of fish...it was quite a disappointment only catching little 3/4 to 1.5 lb DFG dinks. Fished the inlets at South using mini jigs, power worms, crawlers. Caught about 40 with nothing over 1 LB. Drifted crawlers at the rock slide and caught a few the same size. Trolled the rock slide and the south shore and around the island with Crawlers, orange power worms on a worm harness, Needlefish, and Flatfish and caught 7 with the biggest coming in at 1.5 lbs.
Same story size-wise at Sabrina and I2. The weather was perfect...but all in all...I expected better quality fish.

Oh well...fish happens.

Sorry...no photos other than scenery shots. The fish weren't worth taking photos.

same story here was up there fri & sat fishing from shore plenty of fish caught & released but all dfg dinks

phishin phool
09-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Sounds like a normal Bishop Creek trip to me, lots of smaller fish and beautiful scenery. I'm headin up to Smittys area in two weeks and I can pretty much expect the same. It took me 30 years of goin up there to finally get one over 4.5lbs(kinda lame, I know). If ya want a chance at a bigger fish, I think your best bet is Bridgeport Rez, E. Walker, Little Virginia, Mammoth, Grant & Crowley. Or just get lucky and get some Alpers whenever and wherever they are stocked. Thanks for the report SP!

jeff4321
09-07-2011, 12:58 AM
forgot to mention, those are all south lake fish.

and these are too, from a single morning.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/jeff4321/solake4.png

STEVE IN SOCAL
09-07-2011, 05:57 AM
I've never caught an alpers at South Lake. I've caught plenty of alpers, just for some reason my mojo escapes me when I head up into Bishop Creek area. I've put newbie friends on 3 South Lake alpers...

TroutOnly
09-07-2011, 07:07 AM
cmon jeff you and ryan worked there for how many summers,you know the gear the tackle the spots ,what when and were they want it.thats a big advantage over some one who only fishes it once or twice a season,,,,,,,,,,im not hating im just saying,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,,,,

STEVE IN SOCAL
09-07-2011, 08:22 AM
A month ago I was up there...catching dink stockers every cast.Saw Jared out on the water, and whined "where's the big ones"? The sensai of south lake gave these words of wisdom.."You must wade through the little ones to get to the big ones, Grasshopper"
We decided to keep fishing, and take home ten for the smoker. Had nine in the bag, and BAM!...7.5lb alpers...last fish of the day.
It's all about patience and putting that jig in front of their face at the right time. It's a big lake...sometimes you zig, sometimes you zag. Keep fishing....

IncredibleHuck
09-07-2011, 08:32 AM
theres big fish in south lake you prick, i have more pictures to prove it.

No need for the name calling here buddy. Geez! Sometimes some of us are lucky enough to get there around the time that a special stocking took place. You got big fish, but that doesn't make you any better of an angler then he is, especially with that attitude.

IncredibleHuck
09-07-2011, 08:34 AM
cmon jeff you and ryan worked there for how many summers,you know the gear the tackle the spots ,what when and were they want it.thats a big advantage over some one who only fishes it once or twice a season,,,,,,,,,,im not hating im just saying,,,,,,,,,,,,bob,,,,,,,,,,,

Yep... Right on Bob....

SierraPeaks
09-07-2011, 08:35 AM
For the adults here that understand english...I wasn't whining about South Lake. I was disappointed that we didn't hook into any larger fish. (hence the "fish happens" part of my post) Sorry about the punks on this website that don't understand that and bring their little wannabe tough guy attitudes to what has always been an enjoyable forum.
Perhaps an IQ test should be administered before people are allowed to post here.

IncredibleHuck
09-07-2011, 08:42 AM
For the adults here that understand english...I wasn't whining about South Lake. I was disappointed that we didn't hook into any larger fish. (hence the "fish happens" part of my post) Sorry about the punks on this website that don't understand that and bring their little wannabe tough guy attitudes to what has always been an enjoyable forum.
Perhaps an IQ test should be administered before people are allowed to post here.

I got that from your post. No worries on my end. Just to be up there at South Lake with the scenery is awesome, fish just add to the ambiance.

seal
09-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Geeze Huck you beat me to it, I must of re-typed 5 times and thought better of getting into it with young guys who show no respect for others or older adults. The arrogance of the response with all the pics shows a real need for a little growing up, and then to end it with a name calling, real class!

Thanks for the report SierraPeaks, you were just stating your opinion on the conditions in my opinion, I appreciate it cause I'll be up there in a week and know we might be there at the right time for the big ones, or not, but will have a blast none the less.

SierraPeaks
09-07-2011, 09:05 AM
I got that from your post. No worries on my end. Just to be up there at South Lake with the scenery is awesome, fish just add to the ambiance.

Cool Huck. You've always been one of the guys that's a pleasure to share experiences with.

SierraPeaks
09-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Geeze Huck you beat me to it, I must of re-typed 5 times and thought better of getting into it with young guys who show no respect for others or older adults. The arrogance of the response with all the pics shows a real need for a little growing up, and then to end it with a name calling, real class!

Thanks for the report SierraPeaks, you were just stating your opinion on the conditions in my opinion, I appreciate it cause I'll be up there in a week and know we might be there at the right time for the big ones, or not, but will have a blast none the less.

Right on Seal.
I hope the weather is as excellent for you as itwas for us. The aspens and willows were just starting to change color. So you should be there when they are beginning to explode. Happy fishing bro.

SierraPeaks
09-07-2011, 11:48 AM
LMAO...you're a funny little kid

oakboy
10-08-2011, 10:07 AM
As i am reading this it is obvious some posts are deleted. Sorry someone jacked your post SierraPeaks. Thanks for being honest.

<><
KP

Which Way Out
10-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Thanks SPeaks.
Always looking for the good reports. I learned more out of your report than you know. Like locations, baits etc. Especially the fact the trees are turning now. Heading up in a few days to enjoy all that the canyon has, fish or otherwise.

SierraPeaks
10-09-2011, 07:55 AM
As i am reading this it is obvious some posts are deleted. Sorry someone jacked your post SierraPeaks. Thanks for being honest.

<><
KP

Ain't nothin' but a thang Oak...but thanks brother.

SierraPeaks
10-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks SPeaks.
Always looking for the good reports. I learned more out of your report than you know. Like locations, baits etc. Especially the fact the trees are turning now. Heading up in a few days to enjoy all that the canyon has, fish or otherwise.

Cool WWO.
Have a great time and try not to freeze your nads off. The Loop got snow a few days ago...so you know it's butt cold (at least in the morning and at night) at South Lake.

radioleo
10-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Yo Jeff,

Were those caught on mini jigs ?

Going up from 10/14 ~ 10/19/2011 and suggestions ?

I have an arsenal of mini jigs, power worms, thomas bouyants, PW, PB, etc !!!!!!!!

Which Way Out
10-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Yo Jeff,

I have an arsenal of mini jigs, power worms, thomas bouyants, PW, PB, etc !!!!!!!!

Radioleo, say Hi if you see us. Green Jeep and Red Jeep. Will be there 13th - 16th

fishinone
10-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the report.

I'll be up there from 10/13 to 10/16 with 4 other guys. I've never been up there before and I'm looking forward to it.

Which Way Out
10-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Yo Jeff,

Radioleo, say Hi if you see us. Green Jeep and Red Jeep. Will be there 13th - 16th

Thanks for the report.

I'll be up there from 10/13 to 10/16 with 4 other guys. I've never been up there before and I'm looking forward to it.

It looks like a bunch of us will be there at the same time. Don't be shy, say Hi and lets share a few fish stories and maybe a cold one.:Wink:
WWO

EndlessSeason
10-11-2011, 03:07 PM
forgot to mention, those are all south lake fish.

and these are too, from a single morning.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/jeff4321/solake4.png
Great job boys! You need the Endless Season Trout tee....www.endlessseasonclothing.com

EndlessSeason
10-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I have seen a lot of big trout out of Lundy Lake, just take a drive and go for one!

LAKingsTwinsDad
10-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the report. You must be one hell of a fisherman to call a 40 fish day with 1.5 lb fish a "disappointment." Get real, man.

billy b
10-27-2011, 07:02 AM
You must be one hell of a fisherman to call a 40 fish day with 1.5 lb fish a "disappointment."

I'm afraid you're right. He fishes a lot of places (out of state included) ... has been a lot of times ... has been very helpful to some people on the board. I don't have a problem with him being disappointed. I had a WONDERFUL day fishing with the wife and Smitty ... including gorgeous weather ... scenery ... but disappointed that there we couldn't get of of the bigguns that we could see below us.

Every time I fish Bridgeport ... I'm disappointed if I don't get a brownie. Did he say he had a bad time? ... or a lousy trip?

I hear your side too, bro. That's what makes the world go around.

Tight Lines