PDA

View Full Version : dana point today wild weather

JL
09-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Wife and I went out of Dana point harbor this AM heading for some special spots we have along the Kelp north of the harbor. We had a small thunder shower in Chino at 6 am and riding the Toll road we could see storms south of us. Got to Dana ------ cloudy but nice / no rain no pending storms that we could see. Bait was superb. Nice large anchovies and a few sardines in the mix. Headed out. Some of swells were 3 - 4 feet left over from the big weekend of high surf. We decided to drift over a couple of spots. this was 8:40 am. At about 9:15 or so the wind started to pick up from Dana point harbor out to sea....it kept growing and growing. Finally we got on our rain gear ---- the wind was pushing us so hard we could hardly stand. We had 4 lines out and were getting some hits / sculpin / bass, but we had a horrible time keeping on our feet.........not because of the wind waves ( which were high white caps by now) but we could not stand up in the wind. We decided to head back to the harbor. Going into the wind of course it became a very wet ride. Got in the harbor drifted through the harbor fishing and in 2 minutes it was dead calm. then 2 minutes later the wind came from the sea side and put white caps on the water INSIDE the harbor. It was a very very cold wind. That sequence of calm and wind was the program for the day. We did venture back out of the harbor at about 11:30 waves and swells were down some and we could fish. Wind was manageable But we did have some rain.

Ended up with 3 bass, 2 Scuplin and even with rain gear soaked to the skin.

Oh Yea one more thing............ last week water temps at NewPort were 64 today at Dana point we hit one section at 54................. way too cold. Hope the water temp climbs back up or the season will end soon

On this Labor Day Thank God if you are working -----and Pray for a job if you are not. Those of us with Jobs will also pray for those of you who do not have jobs.

JapanRon
09-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Hi JL,

Indeed sounds like a wierd day but remember ....... these kinds of days are what stories are made of and something to remember !!

JapanRon

yankdez
09-06-2011, 11:43 AM
I was at my friends dock in san pedro yesterday and witnessed the same thing. rain/wind in the morning, warm and calm later, then white caps in the harbor, then dead calm by late afternoon. very odd...

DockRat
09-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Weird weather ? In S Redondo it was nice ?
Rain Wind ? Had no idea.
DR

bosscat
09-10-2011, 11:01 PM
im thinking of going on a overnite out of channel isl sport sunday nite hope the weather gets better or i might put it on hold till nrxt week