PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Bay. Silver Strand Report 9/4/11

ordane
09-05-2011, 01:03 PM
So, I returned home for the Labor Day weekend and got a chance to re-fish one of my favorite spots as a kid. The Coronado Cays located on Silver Strand is where I spent a lot of time fishing between the ages of 8-14(before Skateboarding took over my life, lol). This place always seemed to produce some kind of catch... wether Rays, Sharks, Macs or Sand Bass.

My girl, her step-dad and I went out at about 5pm with some frozen anchovies. The Rats were hittin left and right and we pulled in a half dozen or so. I also got myself a couple Sand Bass, one Calico for sure and a Corvina(I think?). I will post pics once I get home, probably tomorrow and maybe someone can verify what the fish was. It was about 14" just longer than the ruler. My girl also got a nice lil sand shark. Her step-dad got hit by something big, probably a Butterfly-Ray but he snapped the line. I really wish I could've seen that one because his pole bent in half!! All in all we had an awesome time. And threw everything back so they can be caught again today!

DockRat
09-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the report. What are the Rats?
21 views and no replies in 24 hours?
The result will be lack of posts by others :Sad:
Cmon Guys.
DR

ordane
09-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the report. What are the Rats?
21 views and no replies in 24 hours?
The result will be lack of posts by others :Sad:
Cmon Guys.
DR
Haha, I noticed no replies also. Hopefully my pics will get my question answred at least.
Rats are what we call the lil Bat Rays

ordane
09-07-2011, 09:41 PM
This first one was a lil Spotty I caught about a half hour after we got there, the second pic is a small Sand Shark my girl caught and the third was a Calico in between 8-9" it was pretty dark so it's hard to see.

ordane
09-07-2011, 09:46 PM
This is the fish that I'm not entirely sure about. My guess is a Corvina which I thought were only down further in Mexico but hey, this spot is only about 5 miles from the border, lol.

...Can someone please identify for me?

smokehound
09-07-2011, 10:18 PM
That's a yellowfin croaker. Corvina Look similar to white seabass, and have two big fangs on the roof of their mouth.

Ifishtoolittle
09-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Nice work on the feesh. And like smokehound said, that there is a YFC. If you hooked into a corvina I'm pretty sure the fight would have been much harder.

ordane
09-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Good call guys. I looked up some pics of aYellow Fin Croaker and you are right on. I wasn't sure and I thought it was kinda odd pulling a white-bellied fish like that out so far in the South Bay.

...How do you think one of them guys would taste?

smokehound
09-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Good call guys. I looked up some pics of aYellow Fin Croaker and you are right on. I wasn't sure and I thought it was kinda odd pulling a white-bellied fish like that out so far in the South Bay.

...How do you think one of them guys would taste?They taste good. Great for panfrying. Just make sure to scrape the black membrane off their body cavity (not required but gives them a cleaner flavor).

ordane
09-08-2011, 02:24 PM
They taste good. Great for panfrying. Just make sure to scrape the black membrane off their body cavity (not required but gives them a cleaner flavor).
Damn! I knew I should've kept it! But, I always have been a lil leary about eating anything out of the bay, lol.

smokehound
09-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Damn! I knew I should've kept it! But, I always have been a lil leary about eating anything out of the bay, lol.You're fine as long as you eat them in moderation. A fish or two wont hurt you. YFC are actually one of my favorite fish to eat. Its when you eat tons of them that causes a real concern.

I see lots of ethnic groups taking home tons of YFC from the san gabriel rivermouth, and it really worries me.

ordane
09-08-2011, 04:50 PM
You're fine as long as you eat them in moderation. A fish or two wont hurt you. YFC are actually one of my favorite fish to eat. Its when you eat tons of them that causes a real concern.

I see lots of ethnic groups taking home tons of YFC from the san gabriel rivermouth, and it really worries me.
Wow! I bet that water is way worse. Thats right there where all the factories are!

Next trip to SD(if I catch another one), I'll make sure to keep it. I think I'll head back down in two weeks.

DockRat
09-09-2011, 08:24 AM

I had seen some Mexicans keeping LA River Carp. I talked to them in spanish and and tried to explain it to them
how the river gets a lot of urban run off. They don't care.
DR

murrieta angler
09-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Seemed like a good day out in the water.
There are corvina down there. I have talked to a few guys who said that is where you primarily catch them.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><

ordane
09-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks Robert!

I'm actually headed back down this weekend. I'm gonna hit Otay Lake tomorrow. If it's not too late tonight when I get into town maybe I will hit up the Ferry Landing in coronado. Used to get Sand Bass and Bonito there.
...Wow, that was years ago!!

Which Way Out
09-16-2011, 10:34 AM
If you have the coin and want to try something different, search for a guide down there that takes people out
Flyfishing for BoneFish. The bay has em and there are a few guys that do it on a regular basics.
I don't know any myself but I have caught a Bonefish down there. Killer little fish, FAST and Strong

ordane
09-16-2011, 11:19 AM
If you have the coin and want to try something different, search for a guide down there that takes people out
Flyfishing for BoneFish. The bay has em and there are a few guys that do it on a regular basics.
I don't know any myself but I have caught a Bonefish down there. Killer little fish, FAST and Strong
The Gray Ghosts!! I know of a spot out in Pt. Loma where they are caught but I didn't know you could Flyfish for them. That would be fun!