PDA

View Full Version : fly rod with spinning?

cheeersM8
09-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Hello all,

I am fairly new to the fishing world however have been bit by the bug pretty hard. I must have started 3 months ago and had over 10 fishing trips and 1 week long mammoth trip that i wished could be longer. Anyhow I have been using a cheapo 35 dollar combo rod and reel from Turners (6feet long ML 3 ball bearing daiwa setup). So my question is this, I really want to step it up and spend a little more for the upcoming trout season in irvine lake but is unsure what to get.

I have read many suggestions regarding fly rods with spinning reels, but don't know how to convert fly rod line weight to spinning reel test lb weight? And is this a good idea? pros, cons? I'm actually really interested in this idea. Love unorthodox ideas. :EyePop:

If i do go with a traditional setup of spinning rod and reel should i just get something good ($200) and stick with it for a very long time or just get something i can use for now ($80) and upgrade maybe 2 years later? or just stick with what i have?

Many fishermen have told me to wait a year and a half before purchasing...thoughts?

I have mainly been learning on catfish and only in mammoth have I done trout. I am really yearning for a fight on either fish. Each time i reel a catch in i feel like i am muscling it in and not truly playing the fish with the proper drag etc. Ideally i would like a rod that I can use for both trout and cat but am afraid of losing "fight" "sensitivity" for the trout fishing times.

As always much appreciated:Big Grin:

P.S. my biggest catch was a 5 pounder catfish. biggest trout was probably 1.5 and by far i think trout fights harder. Oh and i only do shore/bank fishing, never on a boat

P.A.W.
09-04-2011, 06:37 AM
HAH! Try spooling up with some 2 pound test line. After you break off a few fish you'll start setting the drag lighter and use your wrists more than your biceps. I kinda agree on waiting a bit. After a while you'll start thinking ......."hmmmm I wish my rod was more (fill in the blank)". Then you can find one that does what you really want it to do.

Bebop
09-04-2011, 07:15 AM
CheeersM8 Fly rod set ups are made for fly fishing. The guides are different for fly rods, for Spinning, for casting and so on. I make rods and fish alot for trout. My suggestion to you since you are just getting exposed to trout fishing is to buy a inexpensive trout rod like an ugly stick that is an ultra light set up and when you put on fishing line, make it 4lbs or less. P.A.W. said it right about light line in regards to the drag on your real. when you pull the line(as if you were a fish)the rod starts to bend but the line stars to pull out turning your real. if the drag is set right you fight the fish and tire out the fish till you bring it in. When you are ready to upgrade probably in a year talk to your fishing buddies our PM me I will fix you up with a nice rod for a price or just go to the tackle stores.

CraigH
09-04-2011, 10:24 AM
i agree - fly rods have different grips, grip positions, and guides. I don't know if they still make them (I ordered mine long before the BPS store opened in Rancho) but
Bass Pro Shops used to make a "micro lite" spinning rod that was built on a fly rod blank for under $50. Mine is marked "Micro lite IM6 8'6" Ultra Lite Act 1/16 - 1/8 oz Lure 2-6 lb line". It has a spinning rod grip and spinning guides and casts light lures great. If you're looking to spin fish on a fly rod blank it may be a good place to start.

vanillagurilla
09-04-2011, 01:00 PM
dont worry about the fly rod blank, start thinking about that in a year or so when all you use for trout is jigs and plastic worms. I dont know what city you are in but start calling around the local tackle shops and see if they carry Daiwa Spinmatic rods and look for one in the 7-8 foot range, 2-8lb test. Then get your self a Shimnao Sahara.

Fishnfun
09-04-2011, 04:19 PM
If you want one rod to do both spin and fly fishing, consider the Eagle Claw Trailmaster spin/fly pack rod. It is a 4 pc rod that converts to either a spinning or fly rod. Comes with a soft carry case for packing.

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-Trailmaster-7-Feet-6-Inches/dp/B0032MUHBK

http://www.troutlet.com/Eagle-Claw-Trailmaster-Pack-Rods-P124.aspx

Bebop
09-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Beware of Eagle Claw Rods. they are a dime a dozen and you can find them in trash cans at almost any lake. Sorry guys Eagle Claw not for me.

Trout Daddy
09-05-2011, 09:14 AM
There are several beginner rods for trout out there. Berkely makes the cherrywood line in a 7'6" rod good for trout jigs/worms. They also make another trout specific rod that I can't remember the name of right now and both retail for under 40 bucks. Bass Pro has a ultra lite series that is usually on sell for 35 bucks that has great sensitivity and action. If you wanna spend 150+ than Phenix is probably your best bet or a custom wrapped. I say Phenix cause they are located in Cerritos and really do offer a no haggle return policy and quality customer service. At the end of the day it's all preference just like buying shoes or a car. Try as many rods as u can and go from there. What works for ms may not work for you!! Remember though quality gear does help when fishing. I can attest to that along with most folks on here. Good line, good reels, with drag set properly will be the difference between a good day and a bad day!!

cheeersM8
09-05-2011, 12:29 PM
@Bebop If you make fishing rods in your opinion does it make sense to buy a blank rod and make it yourself or have someone make it?

Thank you everyone for you 2cents. I definitely will check out all the rods you have suggest and probably will wait a year....maybe. Once again I currently do have rods but do wish there were more sensitivity in it and have said, "man i wish my rod would give more and bend more."

@P.A.W. I thank you for your opinion and definitely will take that into consideration. And luckily I have yet to lose a fish due to the line snapping. I usually have my drag set tight enough to hook the fish then immediately loosen it till i hear it taking line when fighting then tighten maybe one click. Just saying thank god i haven't lost one due to line snapping.

@ Everyone I dont' know if this matters but i dont' jigg fish. I use nightcrawlers with a worm threader. Thats it

Thisfool
09-05-2011, 02:46 PM
i have to agree with the guys that say wait.

how ever you can still get your self a pretty nice set up for cheap.

go to bass pro shop and get one of there rods. they are called the Bass pro shop microlight sires. they are a coffee color rod with copper color guides. i have a 8' fast action medium light 1/16- 3/8oz 4- 10lbd line rod that i paired with a pfuggler 4520gx spinning reel with a total coast of about $90 or so and any one who as picked up my set up will tell you it is really nice and super functional.

the only problem i have with it is that i don't use it lol. i almost exclusively trolled for trout last year but the few times i did use it i used it for bait and wait and it is sweet for fighting a fish it is a super flexible rod but it also puts a nice amount of pressure on the fish to fight agents. and the reel has a really smooth drag and a very nice retrieve.

don't get that convertible fly rod spin reel crap its just a gimmick. the difference between a fly rod and a spinning rod is so astronomical it is insulting as a fishermen that a company would try to tell me that one rod can do both.

take a look at the set up i described or something similar use that for a year or two then talk to bbop he makes really nice rods and every one who i know that has one wouldn't traded it for anything.

VIVID_FLY
09-21-2011, 04:14 PM
just buy both .. after you catch on the fly rod .. you wont go back

shinbob
09-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Even the fastest action 9' fly rods will be too whippy when using spin gear to get decent casts. Plus they are WAY more expensive. And as mentioned, the fly rod handle shape won't allow you to get leverage on your casts.

Poxy Boggards
09-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Here is my 2 cents.

There really isn't a good trout/catfish combo. You want something in light or ultra light action for trout and a medium to heavy action for catfish.

Trout:
There are many quality budget options for starting out your trout arsenal. I recommend the Okuma Celilo trout rod, very versitile rod that comes in various lengths and actions. I have th 7'6" rod, and this is a great rod for shore fishing with bait, lures or jigs.

http://www.fishusa.com/Okuma-Celilo-Spinning-Rods_p.html

Pair it up with an abu garcia Cardinal or Shimano Sahara 1000 and you have a great starter set up for less than 100 bucks.

Use this combo for a while and learn about your fishing style, and what works best for you, then make the investment in a more expensive combo when you know exactley what you are looking for.

Good luck!