PDA

View Full Version : Why not Crankbaits for trout in the Sierras? (Why almost exclusively minijigs?)

Ultralight
09-03-2011, 07:43 PM
All of my friends whom I would consider 'excellent' fishermen who visit the Sierras use minijigs. I've visited once and I too used minijigs or powerworms. Other friends of mine who are more casual have used powerbait.

Question: Why do I not hear about the use of crankbaits? Is it because they don't work well? I'm thinking of small Rapalas X-Rap and the like, or even the Tiny Yozui Snap Beans or Matzuo Nano.

What about spinners such as Vibrax?

Anyways, primarily curious about crank baits. I've never used them but thought it would be interesting to try them. However, I figure if they are not being used much, there may be a reason and I don't want to waste valuable time trying something that does not work well.

Thanks,
UL

DC5fishR
09-03-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm not extremely experienced with them, but on my recent sierra trip I caught trout on floating rapala, countdown rapala, rippin minnow, and mira shad crankbaits.

bsp
09-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Owner Mira Shads, Lucky Craft Pointers in 48-78 sizes, Yo Zuri Pin's Minnows, and the tiny Daiwa SP Minnows all work. Tossing jerkbaits and crankbaits for trout can be very productive, but it tends to be a few big fish kind of deal (at least with the pointer 75 and 68s I've used). The 48s and Mira Shads can work on the 1lb creek models very well, but that doesn't happen too often. Mini jigs just produce more consistently because they are such a subtle and natural presentation up there. You can see guys pound a section of stream with Kastmasters, Meps/Rooster Tails/Panther Martins, float salmon eggs, and catch with nothing only to have myself follow up with a small 1/64oz hand poured mini jig in grasshopper fished on 2lb fluoro and pull out a limit. The cranks tend not to be able to do that. You'll get one or two aggressive fish, and then nothing else in the area will go after it. They don't work as well for drifting or fishing really tiny pockets of structure either since they have to be kept moving constantly forward to work. Sometimes if the current is right you can keep it in one spot, but that's hard to find. I'd recommend buying one or two to toss around, and if you decide you like it pick up a few more.

stallion21
09-04-2011, 09:26 AM
One of my favorite types of fishing is working the East Walker with either floating Rapalas or Shallow runner Shad Raps, depending on the flow. I also use them on the Upper and Lower Owens River. The Walker can be particularly awesome in the spring if the fish are feeding aggressively, and you can even get some smashes fishing the floaters as topwater...

Ultralight
09-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks! Very helpful comments.

In short, it seems that they can be productive BUT for:
1. When the trout is aggressively feeding.
2. When going for fewer but larger fish.

I wonder if these are better trolled - or would metal lures also be better for trolling.

I'm fishing from shore though.

Thanks,
UL

Trout Daddy
09-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Mini cranks are legit. Strike king pond minnow in firetiger is one of my favorites. I've caught at GVL, Laguna, Rancho Jurupa, and Corona on that bait. It's always something I throw when worms or jigs aren't producing. Also at PVR the browns go after the cranks fairly well....

Ultralight
09-04-2011, 07:28 PM
I use 2 lbs test for minijigs and powerworms.

However, for any lures and, presumably, crankbaits, 2 lbs snap like weak thread. I like to have as low visibility as possible and yet be be able to launch the lure as far as possible. What lb test do you all use for your small crankbaits (and lures?)

Thanks,
UL

Trout Daddy
09-04-2011, 08:08 PM
I fish 4# nanofil with 10# power pro braid backing on a stradic 1000 and a phenix elixir.

Crawler
09-09-2011, 01:39 PM
I dont use them much becuase I can cast more then twice as far with my trusty 1/4oz kastmasters. There are some guys out there that pull absolutely unbelievable trout out of the sierra with crankbaits.

1HR2BBL
09-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Rapalas are excellent in the Eastern Sierra lakes and larger streams. I use countdown (CD 3 & 5) and xraps (size 8). You'll have a great chance in landing a brown or Alpers along with the DFG stockies. The gold/black are great for real early morning and evening, while the rainbow and brown trout patterns are good for when the sun is brighter. They work great on the lower owens also, but the flow is too high right now.

Double A
09-09-2011, 04:06 PM
killed it on the Upper O this past weekend on...

cd - 5's
Luckycraft 48's

shhhhhhh !!!

flytyingreloader
09-09-2011, 11:35 PM
I troll Rapala variants all over June Loop (esp. Grant)--Twin Lakes/Bridgeport--and cast 'em in sections of the Owens River. In the Lower Owens, you're as likely to hang a bass as a trout the farther south you fish.

Flatfish were all the rage 30 years ago, dunno what happened to them--hard to find these days. Time for a web search.

ETA--Still being made, and 'vintage' examples are on E-Bay. My tackle box's contents are becoming collectibles. I'm not THAT flippin' old.

Ultralight
09-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Do you get larger trout on crankbaits than minijigs? seem like any small fish can take minijigs....

Curious.

UL