PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles River Carp Fishing Sept 03, 2011

vortec_cruiser
09-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Since I'm down in Lakewood every Saturday, it's only logical that I stop by the L.A. River for some carp action. I got there about 11:30 AM today, and was glad to see no other people in the spot I fish.

Putting several kernels of corn on my hook, I cast out into a likely spot. Since the water is moving, this is like fishing a real river. But with the running water, there always seems to come lots of floating and suspended algae. It's very annoying to get a large blob of this moss hung up on your line every minute or so. However, in between those annoying moments, there is the thrill of waiting for those subtle taps on your line. After about twenty minutes of nothing but moss removal action, there is that light tug, tug on the end of my line. Lightly setting the hook, it feels like I've got a good one this time. It immediately takes off like a muscle car, headed for parts unknown. Fortunately for me, this one doesn't head downstream toward freedom at the submerged concrete and rebar that lies in that direction. After an 8-10 minute tug-of-war, this bad boy begins to lose some of his steam, and I'm able to work him to the sandy beach. I quickly take a photo of him, and then I carefully push him back out into the water. He gently swims away, hopefully to be caught and released many more times. He was just under two feet long, and well-fed.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/luvtnt/Fishing2/Sept0320111.jpg

Cartman
09-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Great story! Like a muscle car, eh? I want to see this spot sometime.

carpanglerdude
09-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Great fish, glad you let him go :)

reservoir dog
09-06-2011, 09:24 PM

I'm all for C&R but more glad he didn't eat the damn fish...LOL!!!

vortec_cruiser
09-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Great story! Like a muscle car, eh? I want to see this spot sometime.

Jon, you're more than welcome to join me anytime I'm down there.

vortec_cruiser
09-06-2011, 10:14 PM

Everything I catch is C&R, especially these gentle creatures.

vortec_cruiser
09-06-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm all for C&R but more glad he didn't eat the damn fish...LOL!!!

I don't feel like growing a third eye.

DockRat
09-07-2011, 07:37 AM
well-fed.

There is a member that has been known to feed the ducks pounds of sinking corn ?
He goes by the initials DR. :Confused:
Those Ducks are hungry.
DR

Beeracuda211
09-08-2011, 09:47 PM
I Love Carp Flakes in the morning lol

Fishin Magician
09-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Could you imagine eating something out of the L.A. River?
I used to fish the Santa Ana river when I lived in Orange. Always good for carp and kitties but I would never think of eating anything out of there.

vortec_cruiser
09-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Could you imagine eating something out of the L.A. River?
I used to fish the Santa Ana river when I lived in Orange. Always good for carp and kitties but I would never think of eating anything out of there.

If you were desperate and hungry enough, you would without giving it a second thought.