PDA

View Full Version : 9/1 & 9/2 - Skinny stripers and a PB striper

Geraldlim
09-03-2011, 07:39 AM
Thursday I went to try my luck at the lake. I found stripers distributed all over the lake and caught about 14 or 15, most of which were released. The 2 biggest were 6.75 lbs. But they were 28 and 29 inches long - 29" should be 8 lbs be more so that was really skinny. I hope that it is an exception, and not that the lake is running low on food for the number of stripers it holds!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/geraldlim/Fishing/IMG_0524.jpg
The next day I went again. I intended to go early again, but woke up late. Showed up at the lake and got on the water at 7:15. Picked up a few schoolies then got slammed hard. I knew from the runs that this was a nice fish. I fought it carefully, not putting too much pressure so that it was less likely to be able to cut the leader with the gill plates. When it came to the net I knew it was a PB. Netted it and took some pics. It was 35 inches long and weighed 13 lbs 2 oz.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/geraldlim/Fishing/IMG_0529.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/geraldlim/Fishing/IMG_0530.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/geraldlim/Fishing/IMG_0531.jpg

cutbait
09-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Congrats on your PB Gerald!

Your a striperhead for sure!

HawgZWylde
09-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Nice job Geraldlim!! As far as the Stipers effects on the lake, one only needs to look at what has happened to Castaic to know that they have a huge negative effect on other species in the lake. DVL is big and deep, and will take awhile for the results to show. Personally, I think there should be no limits on taking Stripers. They are a nuisance fish and have a hugely high reproduction rate. Keep on slaying them brotha, this lake needs a good culling...

HawgStalker
09-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Sweet! Congrats on your PB!! I saw you out there, you trolled by me as I was fishing the bank on the east side of the marina... well done!

GdHkSet1
09-03-2011, 10:57 AM
WTG out there Gerald! Congrats on your pb Stripey...

fishstory
09-03-2011, 11:13 AM
What bait were you using? Nice fish!

Desertfishen2
09-03-2011, 11:36 AM
congrats on your pb! I guess you are looking for a 20 now. We still need to get together on a trip. sounds like you were on them heavy.

stocker
09-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Congrats on the pb! Skinny fish is no bueno and to me it means over population, i.e. catch and kill time!

skunked again
09-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Nice DD Gerald. Skinny is not good and I think you are right. I think there is not enough medium sized shad in the lake for them to eat. They wiped most of them out last summer. Hence, not many shad schools showing this year.

fish-o-haulic
09-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Those are some nice stripers, man its been a while since i got one like those. dang i wish dvl was closer.

Totempole
09-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Those are some nice stripers, man its been a while since i got one like those. dang i wish dvl was closer.
i second that...

i wish long beach and dvl was a stone throw away :(

eddiefishtaco
09-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Nicely done
congrats, theres bigger fish in there
go get them

fish-o-haulic
09-03-2011, 03:05 PM
i second that...

Havent caught stripers those sized in a long time, now it seems the only big ones are coming from dvl.

TrouTracker
09-03-2011, 05:25 PM
To Gerald- Great job out there with your PB. I know you're probably thinking why you didn't catch that one last week! That would have been a $500.00 striper. No worries, you're really doing a good job out there with Mr. Stripey. Congratulations on doing your homework out there. See you on the water soon.
Barry

Geraldlim
09-03-2011, 06:47 PM
That's what's great about tournaments Barry! Anyone can do great on a given day if you happen to be on the fish, but in a tournament the winner has got to get it done on that day, no excuses, on a day when everyone else is going after the same goal under the same conditions. Separates the men from the boys!

diamondbear
09-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Congrats. on the PB , Thats a nice fish and your a striper killing maching for sure . // db

DodgersFan
09-04-2011, 03:29 AM
why would you release striper???? kill them all

Geraldlim
09-04-2011, 06:36 AM
Tired of cleaning so many fish, and more than I can eat or give away.
Wish there was a way to leave giveaway fish at the dock - a "giveaway station". I gave some away on the lake.

Geraldlim
09-04-2011, 06:37 AM
Wish there was a way to leave giveaway fish at the dock - a "giveaway station". I gave some away on the lake.

TroutOnly
09-04-2011, 10:09 AM
THE STRIPER NINJA IS BACK,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,,,,,

SDDave
09-04-2011, 10:47 AM

Nice job GMan, I give them away to a Thai restaurant in town, and they dont sell them, the staff takes the fish, I get a fish meal for free, I bring it they cook it for me, I like a change of menu from the way I cook it.

IN2DEEP
09-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by fish-o-haulic

i second that...

I really wish that they would build that campground that they proposed
I'd be there all the time for the weekend