PDA

View Full Version : New to ocean fishing

Captain Mortgage
09-02-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm going out to Dana Point tomorrow for some fishing. I've never been ocean fishing before and was hoping I could get a few tips.

I've got a 15' alluminum boat with a small motor that should be fine to get me around. I plan on setting up some 10lb line with about 5 hooks and a weight at the very end. Squid for bait.

Can I cut up fish that I catch out there and use it for bait? What would work best? I'm thinking like mackeral or something.

Also, If I do that, is it ok to just throw over the remains? I would imagine that it would get eaten by another fish right away, and wouldn't really be polluting.

Psycho_fish'r
09-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Big swells and big surf out there right now.

smokehound
09-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Nothin wrong with tossing some offal to the fish. In most cases it wont even make it to the bottom in the ocean.. If the mackerel dont get it, the soupfins, smooth-hounds, and lobsters will.

JL
09-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Yea big swells. Wish i would have seen this yesterday to save you the trip. We were forced to stay in the Bay Thursday because of the large surf at the mouth of the harbor. The surf should be gone by Sunday.

oakboy
09-02-2011, 10:12 PM
If you stay in the harbor drift a live sardine or anchovie in the channel in fron of the wind n' sea and you will get some halibut. Also toss krocodiles or live bait near the bait barge and you can get some bass and/or barracuda. Good luck!

<><
KP

Captain Mortgage
09-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Big Swells out there. Some of them seemed 15 feet high. We got thrown around like crazy. In the end I just caught one kelp bass.

DockRat
09-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Big Swells out there. Some of them seemed 15 feet high.

Welcome to Real Fishing, LMAO
DR