PDA

View Full Version : South Lake/Convict Lake/Sabrina Lake Sierra Report

DC5fishR
09-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Went to the sierras this past weekend and had an awesome time. Fished for 3 days from the shore.
Day1: Scouted out South Lake, found a good looking spot that ended up being a honey hole. I caught 37 rainbow trout ranging from 9-12 inches in about 4 hours. :Big Grin:
Day2: Walked around Convict Lake to check out the inlet, but decided not to fish there because of the massive amount of mosquitos. Ended up catching 6 from the north shore and 6 from the south shore. All average size.
Day3: Fished Lake Sabrina. Hiked a little down the trail to near the island, caught 6 average sized ones. These were pretty wary fish. On the the way back I saw a ton of fish swimming everywhere :EyePop: near the marina and dam. It was game on after that I ended up catching 27 more trout with an assortment of lures. These fish were a little bigger, a lot of them were abouth 1.5 pounds. I also fished for a little bit in the stream below the dam for one stocker.

I practice catch and release on all my fish. Most were caught on mini jigs and thomas buoyant lures. Does anyone have any tips on catching the larger fish at these lakes from shore? I haven't caught anything big yet from the sierras. Also, what are some rigs to use for stream fishing?

DC5fishR
09-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Here are a couple pics.

phishin phool
09-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Great report, sounds like you had an awesome and productive trip. As for big fish in the Bishop Creek area, you just gotta be at the right place at the right time to get some alpers. You are on the right track as Bouyants are really good as well as Owner Mira Shads, Rapalas, jigs, in grasshopper, rainbow sparkle, cricket, or pink, and (inflated) nightcrawlers. And there is trolling which can produce some nice fish, you just gotta find the right depth. Most sierra trout are smaller, however you always have the chance to get a brown or brookie. I have had awesome action in the creeks using natural color Gulp powerworms with just a little splitshot.
Thanks for the report.

DC5fishR
09-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the advice. When I head up there in the fall, I'll give those "gulp" versions a try.

flytyingreloader
09-04-2011, 01:43 PM
I've fished the Sierras since 1967, and have yet to catch a trout weighing over 4#. That's fine by me--the 1.5# 14-15 inchers on light fly tackle or ultralight spinning gear are a ton of fun, and remain tasty for dinner. Larger trout tend to be pretty strong-tasting in my experience, anything over 4# isn't the best as table fare. 95% of my fish get the C-P-R bit, anyway. Educating the fish, one rainbow at a time.