PDA

View Full Version : Reel Lubrication

vanillagurilla
09-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Interested in what people are using as far as grease and bearing oil. I was at the longfin today and picked up some ceramic bearings, carbontex drag, cal's universal reel/drag grease and oust met ol speed oil and i gota say that its amazing stuff. Drag is smooth but strong and the bearings are unreal fast. I read that you have to re-apply oust every 2-3 trips and the bearings make a little more noise but that dosnt bother me since i fish the salt mostly and my reels are always apart and clean. I also heard that hot sauce will stain the gears and whatever else it comes in contact with lol. i used to use super lube but it was kinda thin and needed to be re-applied often along with black market reel oil for bearings but oust is much lower viscosity and i like it alot better, with just the bearings in my curado 200e7 im free spooling for over 1 min, im kinda interested to see what happens when i put it under the knife (or should i say dremel) for some tuning/polishing!

kendo
09-02-2011, 07:47 AM
I have used the hot sauce grease and oil both work great and yes stained but protected. I also like the daiwa blue grease it works really well keeping the salt out of my reels. The one thing for bearings I have found was oil for RC cars. Team associated in the purple works better than any reel oil I have tried but I dont think its formulated for saltwater conditions. For drag I will only use Shimano drag grease. I have seen the other junk just turn into boogers under high load, and when using carbon drag, those boogers turn the carbon into a splintered mess.

.:LOLLY:.
09-02-2011, 09:52 AM
I also use cal's grease and Oust oil...
So far so good, no complaints here. Just started servicing my own reels and that stuff has been treating me good. The oust oil has resurrected some bearings for me which is great because that means I can put off buying new ones for now.

vanillagurilla
09-02-2011, 01:27 PM
you should just buy new bearings bro, stainless abec 5's from smoothdrags are only $10 lol.

Swank909
09-03-2011, 02:31 AM
Corrosion-X all the way if you're fishing the salt

sesgia
10-18-2011, 02:24 AM
you should just buy new bearings bro, stainless abec 5's from smoothdrags are only $10 lol.

yup stainless steel bearing are good and you can fine tun it if you use to right lube
to ceramic bearings