PDA

View Full Version : San Diego area

mil sonrisas
09-02-2011, 02:49 AM
Planning on making the 3 1/2 hour drive down to the San Diego area on sunday evening or monday morning. Taking a friend along and was just wondering if anyone has done any fishing in the sunset cliffs area lately. Been looking for spots on google maps and am going to hit oceanbeach pier at some point, but i was also curious about the jetties to the north of ob pier. can those be fished on? i do have a license, so that is not an issue, just wqanted to fish close to some structure and i fished on jetties for many years back in Texas. any help would be greatly appreciated. maybe i might even run into someone down there.

DockRat
09-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Planning on making the 3 1/2 hour drive down to the San Diego area on sunday evening or monday morning.

Keep in mind that the surf is up, has alot of west in it too.
North side of PV was breaking yesterday, Haggerty's, Cove ect.
DR

ordane
09-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Sweet! I'm headed down to SD this weekend too. I never really fished the OB, MB or PB area on the ocean side only in Mission Bay. I grew up in Imperial Beach and as a kid we used to fish off of the Jettys for Halibut. I don't think you are really allowed to tho... Depending on what you want to catch I can tell you a couple good spots in the south bay. The Coronado Ferry Landing used to be pretty fun. Lots of Sand Bass! Mackerol all day off the IB Peir, lol. Always good to catch Macks, cut 'em up and use for bait. Also, The Coronado Cays used to be one of my favorite spots. It is a housing area across from the Silver Strand State Beach but it is also a private community so only fish in park areas and not on someones property.

I actually think this weekend I'm gonna hit up some Freshwater. My plan was to hit Otay Lake which is somewhere I used to get skunked everytime as a kid. I have heard of some monster Cats out of there and a lot of LMBs but the only thing I remember pulling out of were Bluegills. Then again I havent fished there since I was probably 12. I guess if I dont get skunked I'll post an Otay Report on Tuesday.

Good luck down there!

reservoir dog
09-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Don't forget about the recent shark sitings and probably some closures.

DockRat
09-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Don't forget about the recent shark sitings and probably some closures.
LMAO closing beaches cause some Troll saw a fin.
Sharks are everywhere, everyday. GWS at Malibu/Sunset every year.

Check out the pic at this website.

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

Encinitas — On September 1, 2011Gary Elliot was taken photographs of surfers at Swami's, a point breach located in Encinitas. He had been taking photographs for about 45 minutes. The sky was clear and the ocean calm at 4:30 PM. Water depth at location of observation is less than 10 feet on a reef with significant algae growth. When reviewing his photographs he noticed a large caudal fin of a shark in the cresting wave near several surfers. The size and shape of the fin is representative of a sub-adult white shark, 3 – 4 meters in length. Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

La Jolla — On August 31, 2011, Maurice Luque of the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department reported; “A two-mile stretch of water was closed to the public after lifeguards received reports of a dorsal fin sighting near the Children's Pool in La Jolla. The water one mile in each direction from Casa Reef will be off-limits for 24 hours. The San Diego Police Department's ABLE helicopter was being used to search the area. Three surfers and two boogie boarders reported seeing a 12-inch fin about 2 p.m. -- considered by lifeguards a 'credible sighting' -- prompting lifeguards to evacuate the area. This was the fifth beach closure in more than a week because of possible shark sightings.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.
DR

ordane
09-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Great day at The Cays yesterday! I will report in a new thread.

eddiefishtaco
09-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Also beware of the mean ol skunk
has attacked a few fisherman lately