PDA

View Full Version : DVL report Wednesday 08-31

Surfnsnowboard3
08-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Had a great day today with it being about 10 degress cooler.

Headed over to Rawson's Cove out the gate and the bass were chasing the shad up shallow. Caught a 4 pounder and 2 pounder in that action using drop shot morning dawn.

Fished the south shore for a bit and then decided to see what was up at the inlet tower. HOLY CRAP! There were 10 boats in ONE spot a few hundred yards from the inlet. Must have been somebody's secret spot at one point...not anymore. I didn't want to join the other 10 boats so moved on.

Fished the north shore in the heat of the afternoon with oxblood drop shot and killed it. Caught 20+ bass, a few 1-2 pounder, nothing huge, along the north shore. Found a HONEY HOLE that I stayed in for an hour or so. I'm going to see if it keeps producing.

Still didn't see any stripers boiling. Talked to a few people who said you had to troll or throw anchovies or sardines deep to catch them. What a change from last year.

fishstory
08-31-2011, 08:00 PM
I think I was the third boat on the water. Trolled the east dam for three hours. Nothing. Chased a couple boils for an hour. Nothing. Went to the marina and got some anchovies. Fished them on a school on the east dam. Nothing. Made a b-line to the outlet. Ran up on the ten boats and figured they must be into some good striper fishing. Watched for a minute and didnt see any bent rods for maybe 20 people fishing. Continued to the outlet and found no fish on the finder. Turned around and posted up just outside of the group. Soaked bait for 40 mins. Nothing. There were fish there from 30-60ft. Not a bite and didnt see anyone get anything. Must have missed it. Back to the east dam and trolled for two more hours until I started seeing mirages of boiling striper. I knew it was time to leave. I cant figure this place out!!!! CRAP!!!!!

Surfnsnowboard3
08-31-2011, 08:04 PM
I think I was the third boat on the water. Trolled the east dam for three hours. Nothing. Chased a couple boils for an hour. Nothing. Went to the marina and got some anchovies. Fished them on a school on the east dam. Nothing. Made a b-line to the outlet. Ran up on the ten boats and figured they must be into some good striper fishing. Watched for a minute and didnt see any bent rods for maybe 20 people fishing. Continued to the outlet and found no fish on the finder. Turned around and posted up just outside of the group. Soaked bait for 40 mins. Nothing. There were fish there from 30-60ft. Not a bite and didnt see anyone get anything. Must have missed it. Back to the east dam and trolled for two more hours until I started seeing mirages of boiling striper. I knew it was time to leave. I cant figure this place out!!!! CRAP!!!!!

I think I was the fifth or sixth. Probably saw you. Are you ONLY targeting stripers?

Reason I ask is cuz I can't figure then out either. It's a lot different than it was last year. I've given up until something changes and have been having a blast catching size and numbers of LMB.

fishstory
08-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Yeah, Im only chasing stripers. Been skunked a bunch of times there. Might go tomorrow for some more abuse. If any of you guys see me out there and want to share some secrets im all ears. I drive a very shiny black (everything black) lifted chevy silverado with a shell. Cant miss it. I have a larson laser sportboat converted into a fishing machine. See you guys on the lake!

wetsuitxninja
08-31-2011, 10:25 PM
I was out there today as well, similar report to what Surfnsnow has said. Wasnt able to get any on topwater in the AM, switched to DS and did really well. Seemed like most fish were coming from 20-30 foot range. Mostly the mix of 1-2 pounders with a couple slightly above.

Crazy to think this time last year every cove was littered with busting fish first thing in the morning.

a321eric
09-01-2011, 01:52 AM
I was out there today as well, similar report to what Surfnsnow has said. Wasnt able to get any on topwater in the AM, switched to DS and did really well. Seemed like most fish were coming from 20-30 foot range. Mostly the mix of 1-2 pounders with a couple slightly above.

Crazy to think this time last year every cove was littered with busting fish first thing in the morning.

Ya, this year is way different. Im guessing it may have something to do with the water level being up...IDK...im not a marine biologist. But anyhow, all I can say is that we were spoiled last year, thats for sure. (on the top water bite anyway) not to say this year at DVL hasn't been.

HawgStalker
09-01-2011, 06:34 AM
Surfnsnowboard...good job!

a321eric... Im so jealous I didnt get to experience that topwater bite last year!

fishstory
09-01-2011, 07:02 AM
Last year was the first I fished the lake. only went two days. Caught a largemouth on the first day and then skunked the second. I remember what seemed like a LMB spawning. They were juming all over the place in the coves. I didnt see any striper boils but I might have been there too early in the year. Funny thing is, I couldnt get the LMB to bite either. Man, I thought I was a good fisherman until I started fishing at DVL. Really takes the wind out of my sails. Guess Ill try again next week sometime. Ill get some fish sooner or later.

TroutOnly
09-01-2011, 07:06 AM
fishstory the surface temps to hot for the stripers,and the bite hasnt broke open because the threadfins are not on the surface yet,just a few more weeks and things are really are going to change.youre right snowboy that was somebodys spot they told too many people now its blown up,they are probably still squeeking in water ,any little bit out of the side of the deflecters on the main tower would spur action,,,,,try fishing it deep,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

HawgStalker
09-01-2011, 07:29 AM
TO... Are you saying when the surface temp drops that topwater bite will heat up? Will it heat up for striper and lmb bite?

HawgZWylde
09-01-2011, 08:02 AM
fishstory the surface temps to hot for the stripers,and the bite hasnt broke open because the threadfins are not on the surface yet,just a few more weeks and things are really are going to change.youre right snowboy that was somebodys spot they told too many people now its blown up,they are probably still squeeking in water ,any little bit out of the side of the deflecters on the main tower would spur action,,,,,try fishing it deep,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yup, the cats out of the bag. We went out Tuesday and the lake level had dropped a lot, so I doubt water is still being released from the secondary. My wife worked for a supply company that provided parts to the contractors who did the "plumbing" at DVL, she used to deliver parts to the lake and drove down into the "hole" prior to it being filled many times. She knew about the secondary inlet long ago. I googled it and came up with a good article by the USSD that indeed mentions the secondary. It's a pretty informative article. If the lakes rising, chances are stripy will be stacked at that inlet.

Heres a link to that article;
http://ussdams.com/proceedings/2006Proc/83-92.pdf

fishstory
09-01-2011, 09:12 AM

Thanks for that TO. Gives me some hope for future trips. I will keep at it. I dont want to miss out on some good action when it comes around. Might have to get that year pass since Im going so much.

Surfnsnowboard3
09-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Yup, the cats out of the bag. We went out Tuesday and the lake level had dropped a lot, so I doubt water is still being released from the secondary. My wife worked for a supply company that provided parts to the contractors who did the "plumbing" at DVL, she used to deliver parts to the lake and drove down into the "hole" prior to it being filled many times. She knew about the secondary inlet long ago. I googled it and came up with a good article by the USSD that indeed mentions the secondary. It's a pretty informative article. If the lakes rising, chances are stripy will be stacked at that inlet.

Heres a link to that article;
http://ussdams.com/proceedings/2006Proc/83-92.pdf

very interesting article. I didn't Know there was a secondary. All the article says is it is "east of the inlet tower". Are we to assume the spot that used to be secret that I saw everybody at is the secondary? Its in the middle of nothing with nothing around it, although it is east of the inlet. It's about 220 feet deep there.

If it is, that explains why the stripers are there. I was wondering what about this random spot in the middle of the lake (kind of) drew the stripers to it. This may explain it.....

HawgZWylde
09-01-2011, 03:13 PM
very interesting article. I didn't Know there was a secondary. All the article says is it is "east of the inlet tower". Are we to assume the spot that used to be secret that I saw everybody at is the secondary? Its in the middle of nothing with nothing around it, although it is east of the inlet. It's about 220 feet deep there.

If it is, that explains why the stripers are there. I was wondering what about this random spot in the middle of the lake (kind of) drew the stripers to it. This may explain it.....

Indeed, it does. But it only works when water is being pumped in through that inlet. That's the trick, is knowing when it's on. We fished in Saturdays Striper tourney, the lake had risen since we fished on the prior Tuesday. Then we went out last Tuesday and the level had fallen quite a bit, I'd say around 2 ft or more, it was very noticeable...

Surfnsnowboard3
09-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Indeed, it does. But it only works when water is being pumped in through that inlet. That's the trick, is knowing when it's on. We fished in Saturdays Striper tourney, the lake had risen since we fished on the prior Tuesday. Then we went out last Tuesday and the level had fallen quite a bit, I'd say around 2 ft or more, it was very noticeable...

That leads to the question of what's the best way to tell if the lakes risen or fallen and how much?

jim young
09-01-2011, 03:37 PM
That leads to the question of what's the best way to tell if the lakes risen or fallen and how much?

smurfnboard, time on the way there..time on the water...

HawgZWylde
09-01-2011, 03:56 PM

Without inside knowledge, I read the banks. We go weekly, so I can tell by plants, rocks, trees, point exposure etc.etc...

Surfnsnowboard3
09-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Without inside knowledge, I read the banks. We go weekly, so I can tell by plants, rocks, trees, point exposure etc.etc...

I go weekly too. 1-2 days a week. Gotta make that season pass worth it. Imma bring a Sharpie and marking a bank somewhere.

yolo
09-01-2011, 04:39 PM
The 44 mile Inland Feeder tunnel and pipeline from Devil's Canyon to DVL was completed in 09. That's what filled the lake back up with California aqueduct water from the State Water Project. I thought everyone knew about that water delivery system since it is what got the lake full again.

Here is a very detailed Inland Feeder Project pdf. http://www.centralbasin.org/board_agendas/300/Caucus%20020310.pdf

HawgZWylde
09-02-2011, 11:01 PM
The 44 mile Inland Feeder tunnel and pipeline from Devil's Canyon to DVL was completed in 09. That's what filled the lake back up with California aqueduct water from the State Water Project. I thought everyone knew about that water delivery system since it is what got the lake full again.

Here is a very detailed Inland Feeder Project pdf. http://www.centralbasin.org/board_agendas/300/Caucus%20020310.pdf

The inlet at the bottom of the lake was installed prior to the lake being filled. The scource of the water was not in question as most knew once Quaggas were discovered in the Colorado river system, that a new water scource had to come from the Cali aquaduct system, hence the inland feeder tunnel and pipeline. It was the fact that very few anglers knew, until now, about the secondary inlet on the bottom of the lake. Both the primary and secondary inlets feed Cali aquaduct water into the lake...

stocker
09-03-2011, 01:09 PM
The switch will flip, just later than last year. Peace.

fish-o-haulic
09-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Im in agreement with T/O its too hot for topwater at least im assuming so cuz i was down by dvl couple weeks ago and it was so hot i was baking and being turned into a new color on the color wheel dark black. So that would explain the topwater, and as far as the second inlet thing that does sound like and ideal spot for mr striper to hide. Of course ive never fished dvl before and am just giving info based on past experience and knowledge.

yolo
09-03-2011, 04:51 PM
The inlet at the bottom of the lake was installed prior to the lake being filled. The scource of the water was not in question as most knew once Quaggas were discovered in the Colorado river system, that a new water scource had to come from the Cali aquaduct system, hence the inland feeder tunnel and pipeline. It was the fact that very few anglers knew, until now, about the secondary inlet on the bottom of the lake. Both the primary and secondary inlets feed Cali aquaduct water into the lake...

Yes the secondary inlet was put in at time of construction. It relieves surge in the upstream feed piping. Here's the slide valve that is on the secondary inlet.

http://www.kurimoto.co.jp/english/j02/gif/pho122.jpg

http://www.kurimoto.co.jp/english/j02/gif/pho123.jpg

I don't know when it was first utilized. If before the inland feeder was done or only after? Regardless, it's there. I only fished DVL once so maybe a regular can say whether the secondary inlet was utilized before the CA duct water started coming in? The specs for the slide valve are 1800mm so that is roughly 6' and I'm assuming that is diameter.

HawgZWylde
09-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Yes the secondary inlet was put in at time of construction. It relieves surge in the upstream feed piping. Here's the slide valve that is on the secondary inlet.

http://www.kurimoto.co.jp/english/j02/gif/pho122.jpg

http://www.kurimoto.co.jp/english/j02/gif/pho123.jpg

I don't know when it was first utilized. If before the inland feeder was done or only after? Regardless, it's there. I only fished DVL once so maybe a regular can say whether the secondary inlet was utilized before the CA duct water started coming in? The specs for the slide valve are 1800mm so that is roughly 6' and I'm assuming that is diameter.

Good post yolo, that's exactly correct. As far as how long, and how frequently it's in use, I would assume as soon as the spigot was turned on roughly 2 years ago when they began refilling the lake. I just wonder, without inside knowledge, how many anglers figured it out as it does show up on electronics. Not many for sure...