PDA

View Full Version : used boat buying

madmax951
08-31-2011, 10:31 AM
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a small entry level used boat and wanted to know all the 411 on buying one. I think I know to make sure it has a tittle and ID number. My questions are the following:

1) Do I have to register if it's currently register?
2) If not register, do I get penalty fees multiply by the numbers of years unregistered?
3) Do I have to pay use tax fees if under $1000 or can I avoid taxes by stating it was a
Gift.

Any advise would help.

As for the boat, I'm looking at an inflatable such as an Avon, Zodiac, West Marine, etc... with an outboard no bigger than 10hp. I've seen quite a few on craigslist withing my budget of no more than $750. See I love fishing and would like to access fish other than from shore. We own a Corolla with a 4X3 mini trailer that can accommodate an inflatable plus outboard. If any one has experience fishing with inflatables please pass on the luv and share your experience.

Thanks guys and hope to hear from y'all soon

http://www.theflyfishdictionary.com/eng/links/zodiaconbeach.jpg

chansen49
08-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Inflatables and fish hooks are a bad Idea IMO..

Ch

DockRat
09-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Keep looking. Maybe buy a boat and motor seperate.
Ask the year of the motor.
How old is the impellor.
Do a compression test.
Check for cracks and ask how long it holds air for.
Register it to avoid penalties.

Buy a name brand. Avon Achilles, Zodiac.
Avoid a newer cheap brand, too thin, easy to pop.

Inflatables and fish hooks are a bad Idea IMO..
Ch

Tell that to Lal. He, Cory, Japan Ron have caught hundreds if not thousands of SW Bass.
They go from LB to Catalina and get great gas mileage.
DR

stepchild
09-01-2011, 04:35 PM
always register.....always ask if you can test run it out on open water..never just put the dog ears on and run in the drive way...run it like if you owned it...and if runs good and ur happy with it,,,go get it tuned up and put a brand new impeller,.....remember boats are like women you never stop paying for them!!lol

Mojave River Angler
09-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Ya, I've got three punctures in the floor of my whitewater raft from catfish that got a little roudy. They can puncture ANYTHING!!!
Mojave River Angler

reservoir dog
09-02-2011, 02:37 PM
From what I hear the INS, DEA & FBI have a few boats up for sale since they're washing up on our beaches every week. If you're lucky you might find a a few kilos stashed in there somewhere...LOL!

Big Bear Legal Eagle
09-03-2011, 09:38 AM
The useful life of a "used" inflattable depends on how well it was maintained. I got over 15 years from one like this, also purchased at Costco.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11642206&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|111|41614|58249&N=4018149&Mo=4&pos=0&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=58249&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC40335-Cat41614&topnav=

Sparky70
09-03-2011, 06:49 PM
defination of a boat is
BRING
On
Another
Thousand bucks

madmax951
09-03-2011, 10:11 PM
thank you all for the advise....

I am now the proud owner of a new used boat... I also came under budget, I got it for $600. Its a 10' Achilles with a Suzuki 6hp. The outboard starts rite up after the 1st or second pull and runs like a champ.

took it this afternoon to Lake Perris to try it out. Soon as i got there at the sail cove area i freak-en got my car stuck in the sand! :Embarrassed: I wasn't going to pay no tow truck $160! so for 30mins I worked on getting it out. After taking the advise of the park ranger to lower the tire pressure and a good Samaritan explaining to me to rock the car forward and reverse. "WOOT" it came out... I never doing that dummy move of taking into the loose sand. Learn my lesson!

Well, she is a beauty... my precious, lol!

http://i53.tinypic.com/2w7llvm.gif

http://i52.tinypic.com/2j0xtnn.gif

I'll be back to Perris tomorrow morning, this time fishing....thanks again guys!!!:Wink:

SDDave
09-03-2011, 10:34 PM
well good deal mad, awesome, your hung for life, fish it fish it, then srart looikng into up grading as time goes by, just don;t want to loose you to the darkside.... sailboats....lol