PDA

View Full Version : Striper King Classic Champs!

striperkingclassic1
08-29-2011, 11:24 PM
Congratulations to the 5 Cash Prize winners of the 2011 Striper King Classic at Diamond Valley Lake! You gentlemen toughed it out in very hot 100+ degree temperature and should be commended for your huge efforts. Here's your Champs:

1st Place "Last Chance Bait & Tackle" $1000 Cash Prize-
** Mr. Gary Wiederspan, Riverside- 16.17lb striper
2nd Place "Bass Pro Shops- Rancho Cucamonga" $500.00 Cash Prize-
** Mr. Gregg Silks, San Jacinto- 11.67lb striper
3rd Place "Buffalo Wild Wings- Murrieta" $400.00 Cash Prize-
** Mr. Sidney Haghiri, Los Angeles- 10.53lb striper
4th Place "Berkley" $300.00 Cash Prize-
** Mr. Jack Barton, Crestline- 8.45lb striper
5th Place "Ex-Cel Lure" $200.00 Cash Prize-
** Mr. David Togashi, Grand Terrace- 7.24lb striper

Top Left to Right: Barry A. Ogawa, Dan Merchant (Last Chance B&T), and Hubert "Kewly" Zimara. Bottom Left to Right: Gregg Silks (2nd Place), Gary Wiederspan (Champion), Jack Barton (4th Place) and David Togashi (5th Place)
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm210/DVL_SmackDown/IMG_2070.jpg

Striper King Classic Champ Gary Wiederspan and Dan Merchant from Last Chance B&T with the 16.17lb winner...............
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm210/DVL_SmackDown/Striper%20King%20Classic/IMG_2066.jpg

Runner-up 2nd Place winner Gregg Silks and James Smiley of BPS Rancho Cucamonga with the 11.67lb striper.............
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm210/DVL_SmackDown/Striper%20King%20Classic/IMG_2061.jpg

Third Place winner Sidney Haghiri proudly showing his 10.54lb striper..............
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm210/DVL_SmackDown/Striper%20King%20Classic/IMG_2058.jpg

4th Place winner Jack Barton framing his 8.45lb striper
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm210/DVL_SmackDown/Striper%20King%20Classic/IMG_2059.jpg

5th Place winner David Togashi's very please with his 7.24lb striper...........
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm210/DVL_SmackDown/Striper%20King%20Classic/IMG_2057.jpg

seal
08-30-2011, 07:40 AM
They allowed Silk's in the tournament? That's a lot of knowledge and time on the water to compete with, glad somebody beat him.

Congratulations to all!

liteline
08-30-2011, 08:12 AM
I lost all respect for Silk for doing that, and then to actually place his fish; at worst he should donate the money to charity. The rest of his gang in that pantoon boat mached his style.

Geraldlim
08-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Why? If I am going to compete, I would like to compete against the best, see how I measure up. I wish some of the other "heavyweights" would also have competed. I'm glad Silks competed. I got whupped!

ghost2uu
08-30-2011, 09:35 AM
I lost all respect for Silk for doing that, and then to actually place his fish; at worst he should donate the money to charity. The rest of his gang in that pantoon boat mached his style.

So let me get this straight. If you actually loved striper fishing and were good enough and consistent enough to be a guide you wouldn't enter a tournament to show you have what it takes to be the best on your home water? Guess what, every largemouth guide on that lake fishes pro or semi-pro bass tournaments on that lake every weekend. It is done on every lake in every state on every pro and semi-pro circuit. My respect level for Silks went through the roof. Shows he can put you on fish in the worst of conditions ie heat and lake pressure and damn near won it.

seal
08-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Hope I didn't start something with my post, was just surprised that local guides were allowed in the tourney, didn't mean to start the negative responses, OOPS!

striperkingclassic1
08-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Let me put things in perspective about Mr. Gregg Silks and his contributions to the Striper King Classic. He understood that this was a charity fishing tournament from the get-go. There were so many "behind the scenes" activities that Gregg did that just a few people knew about. But, you'll never hear Gregg ever mention these activites in public. Let's start:

1. On July 18th, the SKC set-up an interview with the Press Enterprise on the water. Gregg graciously donated his time and paid for the pontoon boat to make the boys more comfortable. Richard Barajas and Zach Patton of the PE were originally only supposed to be on the water from 8-12:00pm. But, Gregg wanted them to have a total experience, and ended up spending the whole day with them. Gregg did not ask for a dime from anyone.

2. On August 6th, we asked Gregg if he would like to anchor the Striper Seminar at the DVL Visitors Center. Again, Gregg accepted without even batting an eye. He wowed the lucky members of the audience with his vast knowledge of striper fishing. He gave 100% effort in teaching the group so that they would be ready for the SKC. Gregg did not ask for a dime.

3. Week of August 22nd, Gregg called me numerous times to have his water company deliver free water for the participants. He was very concerned about making sure that everyone was hydrated. Being so close to the tournament, I was surprised that Gregg was concerned more about the entrants than he was himself. He wanted to make sure that they were taken care of.

These are just a few of the many activities that Gregg did without compensation. In this world of "dog eat dog", it's refreshing to run across a very humble gentleman that is more concerned about other people than himself. Hope this opens your eyes.........

Barry A. Ogawa

liteline
08-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Point taken. I see it as a conflict of interests to be part of an event and then take profit from it. The items you mention are worthy of a big "thank you" from you and the other organizers. Enough said, it's not my intension to hijack this thread.

diamondbear
08-30-2011, 11:36 AM
CONGRATS to the winners , Nice fish . Wish I could of been there .

DrePSP
08-30-2011, 01:45 PM
I agree with barry , especially on #2 at the seminar. He held nothing back with some questions I asked which I really appriciate. I was little surprised at what a cool guy he was. I was going to bid on him since it was at $150 but at the tourney it went up to 250 and I just dont have that $$ burning a hole in my pocket.... wish I did.
The tournament is for anyone and everyone.

GdHkSet1
08-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Congrats SKC champs- well done! Heck I think alot of us in the derby was fishing near Greg anyway! Look forward to SKC II !!

Barry- now get out there and do some Striper fishing! You deserve a DD!

30lber
08-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Silk is one of the coolest and most humble at times.
Many occasions i would ask silk on tips and he didnt hesitate at all to share his wealth of knowledge.
The man puts in alot of time at the lake.
I think its funny at time when i see him rolling his cart to the marina.lol
im not ragging on good ole silk. He has taught me some good tricks and became more effective on number counts.
Hats off to silk.

TroutOnly
08-30-2011, 08:22 PM
I WOULD JUST LIKE TO HAVE KNOWN THEY WERE SQUEEKING WATER IN THRU THE SECONDARY WATER INLET,AND THE GPS CORDINENTS TO GO WITH IT,CAUSE ANYBODY WHO KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT STRIPERS KNOWS THE STRIPERS ARE DRAWN TO COOL WATER AND OXY JUST LIKE TROLLY TO A CHEESBURGER,I WENT AND FISHED I WAS GIVEN TICKETS CAUSE I WAS SNUBBED AS A GUIDE,CAUGHT STRIPEYS AND A MONSTER BLUEGILL BUT NO MONEY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,s/o,,,,,,,,,,,,

trollmiester
08-30-2011, 09:05 PM
did someone say cheeseburger? yum lolollol

Hitts0n
08-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Lol @ Trolly to a cheeseburger ! Congrats to all the winners anda ll the soldiers who ran with the 100 degree weather!!

DrePSP
08-31-2011, 08:23 AM
where is the secondary inlet? is where everyone and their mom parked their boat? 150 yards or so from the point with the concrete building by the west dam?

CCfisherman
08-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Why? If I am going to compete, I would like to compete against the best, see how I measure up. I wish some of the other "heavyweights" would also have competed. I'm glad Silks competed. I got whupped!

I agree with you G on this also, If I'm going to get in the game I rather challenge my self and go against the best.......that be like if you were in college football and wanting to play against high school team for an easy win!!! What is the point of that.......:No Pity:

SoCal_Dawn
09-05-2011, 12:02 PM
“There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.” W. Clement Stone

I’d like to thank every single person for their contribution in helping raise every single penny for such a wonderful cause that gives so much to help children. This is the true spirit behind the event and it really doesn’t matter who purchases a ticket and fishes, it’s still $50.00 more for the kids then if a ticket wasn’t purchased at all. Also, the money raised by Silks' donating his guide time for the live auction.

Barry, you and Silks are a class act in all circumstances and I wouldn’t waste the energy responding to such negative comments. You both give so much and ask for nothing in return. Please keep up the good work!