PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra Backcountry

fixthedoor
08-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Beginning of October a buddy and I will be going on a day hike just out of Lone Pine (Cottonwood Lakes). From what I have seen and read, the hike will be about 6 miles in and about 6 miles out depending on which lakes we choose to stop at. I want to pack light, taking only essentials for hiking and fishing. Also the plan is to eventually do a multiple day hike, so the goal of this little excursion is to learn what will be needed to take the next step. Please comment on any of the items listed below:

Water: I plan to bring a camelback day pack, and some Iodine based tablets for use when the pack runs dry. Are the tablets all pretty straight forward or is there something I need to look out for?

Emergency: A pre-pack of matches, bandaids, and other essentials.

Tackle: I read about a using a yellow Panther Martin with black dots, any others? A yellow Panther Martin with red dots will also be brought as I have had good success in the Sierras with them. My rig will feature 2-3 lb test, with a snap swivel and 18" of leader. Should I add weight or set up my rod differently out of fear of spooking the fish?

Flyfishing: I have seen it done many times...on horses. I have a cheap combo I'm going to bring up and get a little practice in. This coming weekend I'm going up to the Kern and will do some flyfishing there to gain a little understanding. I need to re-spool the reel so what should I use? I read about using 5x Tippet? What about for the leader? Fly-wise I'm going to visit a local shop in Lone Pine before heading up the mountain.

Waders: Should I have some for this trip? I will be lake fishing and I was worried about spooking the fish.

I think that's long enough for now. Let me know what you think, I need to sort out my budget. Thanks.

City Dad
08-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Please post pics if fly fishing on a horse!

Use the iodine. Instructions should be on packaging. Don't F around with drinking water. Make sure it's sterile Believe me, I learned the hard way.

don't take waders. They weigh a ton and you won't really need them - fish are usually within casting range from shore.

also, it might be a good idea to Google "Sierra back-packing gear lists." There's a lot of good info out there.

I personally don't think there is any reason for tippet finer than 5X (but you will undoubtedly hear the "nothing heavier than 2lb test!" mantra from other anglers) You could go finer - but bring lots and lots of flies because you'll be snapping them off regularly.

Get some elk hair caddis sizes #14 and #16 and you'll be all set. If you really want to get fancy, throw in some tent-wing caddis - for finicky fish - and maybe some ants.

Cast out your caddis, let all the ripples dissipate, then if you haven't drawn a strike, slowly strip it back in. You'll get lots of takes as it skates across the surface.

A streamer or two will round out your selection and give you a decent shot at one of those giant brookies you see cruising around and ignoring your dries.

And don't forget to use the iodine

fixthedoor
08-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks City Dad! I searched for the gear list....exactly what I needed. Sorry for the vague Robin Hood Prince of Thieves reference (horses comment). Does the technique you mentioned work on the river? I'll be up at the Kern this weekend and I want to practice there.

As for the flies, should I plan on doubling up on each?

City Dad
08-29-2011, 01:19 PM
I've never fished the Kern, but skating a caddis imitation seems to work just about anywhere the fish feed on caddis - and caddis flies work pretty well as a grasshopper imitation this time of year too. That said, based on what I've heard about that stream, I'd start things out with a nymph or streamer.

You could hang a weighted nymph off a big dry fly, but I'd think you'd have better results fishing a tandem rig. Maybe a #14 bead-head hares ear trailing a #18 pheasant tail about 10" behind.

Streamer fishing might be good too. Clousers are a good fly, but I'm kinda partial to Zonkers - I think the combo of rabbit fur and flash is something fish don't see as often.

The best advice I can give is to go to a fly shop. Any decent fly shop in that area should be able to help you out with tips and gear for the Kern. Bob Marriots in Fullerton and the Fisherman's spot in Burbank are also good shops with very knowledgeable staffs and they always know what's going on up there.

good luck

Viejo
08-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Don't forget getting acclimated to the altitude. Your trail head is at 10,000 feet and the lakes are higher. Learn the symptom of AMS and heed them if they appear by getting down off the mountain asap. It's nothing to mess with and can cause life changing symptoms that are only relieved by coming down in altitude. By the way....you won't scare the fish in those lakes. They seem to like the company.

fixthedoor
08-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks again City Dad. I will be stopping by a local shop up in Kernville to stock up and get some tips. I have to get used to all the names! They sound like names from a children's tv show.

Viejo, yeah AMS is a concern of mine. The day prior to the hike, we are going to hang out and sleep at Horseshoe Meadows. We'll see how we do there and make changes as needed.

teejay
08-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Keep in mind that the Cottonwood Lakes and Creek are under special regulations:

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2011/ccr-t14-ch3-art3.html

Hope you have fun. Nights may be on the chilly side.

GrievousAngel
08-30-2011, 12:06 PM
I took a backpacking trip to the Cottonwoods earlier this month!

Water - Iodine is the lightest water treatment option but there are other products that supposedly have less "flavor" (e.g. Aquamira). Whatever you choose, follow the instructions!

Emergency - Sounds good. Don't forget sunblock and bug juice!

Tackle - I brought a spinning rig and tried Thomas Bouyants,Panther Martins, Rooster Tails, and a few other lures. The fish would follow but I couldn't get any to bite. My buddy only brought a spinning rig and did well but he was strictly fishing fly-and-bubble.

Flyfishing - I also brought a fly rig and caught all my fish with it. I got a few hookups with an Elk Hair Caddis but nymphs (hare's ears, pheasant tails, etc) worked MUCH better. Next time I go up there, I'm leaving the spinning rig in the car. The water was crystal clear...don't spend too much time fishing where you can't see fish. Don't discount the creeks/streams connecting the lakes. They hold fish too!

Altitude - If possible, spend the night before at one of the campgrounds at the trailhead. It'll great improve acclimatization.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x258/silentivan42/Miscellaneous/IMGP2564.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x258/silentivan42/Miscellaneous/IMGP2560.jpg

Viejo
08-30-2011, 10:19 PM
I am assuming you kept and ate that fish with the fish handling you are displaying. Please don't tell me you tossed it back in the water after drying it out and keeping out of the water long enough to find your camera, focus and shoot the typical "look at the fish next to my fly rod" shot. They look a lot better in the water. I am also assuming that you were not fishing at the lakes where there is a 0 take limit.

Sorry bout the rant but this is bush league fish handling if you are fishing at a 0 take location.

GrievousAngel
08-31-2011, 12:02 AM
I am assuming you kept and ate that fish with the fish handling you are displaying. Please don't tell me you tossed it back in the water after drying it out and keeping out of the water long enough to find your camera, focus and shoot the typical "look at the fish next to my fly rod" shot. They look a lot better in the water. I am also assuming that you were not fishing at the lakes where there is a 0 take limit.

Sorry bout the rant but this is bush league fish handling if you are fishing at a 0 take location.

I assure you this was at one of the two lakes in the basin with a 5 fish limit. I was without a landing net and I do attempt to handle fish gently but sometimes **** happens. My point-and-shoot camera was in my pocket so "finding" and "focusing" times were minimal. I apologize if my pictures have offended you.

Viejo
08-31-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm not offended...It's your story about how you caught that fish. You shared that you went to the Cottonwoods and they have a 0 limit. If you really were somewhere else....It is what it is. I can only go by what I read and see.
You are obviously a skilled angler who knows how to get off the beaten path.

No problems if you are keeping and eating fish. If you are releasing fish.....well there are ways to minimize handling and photographing fish that gives the wild fish a greater chance of survival and the angle still gets the money shot.

fixthedoor
08-31-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks GA for the info, yes we will be staying overnight the day prior. I have read about regulations for 1-4 and their tributaries, but not the regulations for the lakes above the south fork (I don't see them listed).

GrievousAngel
08-31-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm not offended...It's your story about how you caught that fish. You shared that you went to the Cottonwoods and they have a 0 limit. If you really were somewhere else....It is what it is. I can only go by what I read and see.
You are obviously a skilled angler who knows how to get off the beaten path.

No problems if you are keeping and eating fish. If you are releasing fish.....well there are ways to minimize handling and photographing fish that gives the wild fish a greater chance of survival and the angle still gets the money shot.

Cottonwood Lakes 1-4 are 0 limit.

(49) Cottonwood Creek drainage lakes (Inyo Co.).
(A) Cottonwood Lakes 1, 2, 3 and 4 and their tributaries (Inyo Co.). July 1 through Nov. 15. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used. 0
(B) All remaining Cottonwood Creek drainage lakes. July 1 through Nov. 15. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used. 5

sierraslam
08-31-2011, 12:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IuvT7c7oQ4 I released this Golden.

fixthedoor
09-01-2011, 07:46 AM
I like your release method sierraslam, that looks tasty! You guys are making me anxious with your posts.

sierraslam or GA, did either of you fish lakes up there other than the cottonwood lakes?

GrievousAngel
09-01-2011, 10:21 AM
...sierraslam or GA, did either of you fish lakes up there other than the cottonwood lakes?

Aside from the upper Cottonwoods, the only other fishing I did up there was in the creek running through Horseshoe Meadow, which is a shame since there are a boat load of lakes up there!

sierraslam
09-01-2011, 11:38 AM
I fished Long Lake and High Lake when going over New Army Pass. High Lake was incredible in the evening on the dry fly's. Nothing to big, but a ton of fun. I caught much bigger Golden's out of the lakes over New Army Pass however.

fixthedoor
09-02-2011, 06:09 AM
I minimally want to hit up South Fork Lakes, since the trail loops past them, and hopefully Long Lake. We'll see how it goes. Getting over the pass will be a whole other trip. The scenery up there looks awesome! How many days does a trip over the pass take? Seems like you would plan at least 3 full days.

GA, how was the fishing there? I thought that might be a good area to explore and kill time the Friday before.

GrievousAngel
09-03-2011, 09:52 AM
...GA, how was the fishing there? I thought that might be a good area to explore and kill time the Friday before.

The fish are really small in there but it's quality fishing none the less, especially if you stay in the adjacent campground (there's another campground at the Cottonwood trailhead).