PDA

View Full Version : 8/25 First legal surf 'but and a question

Indo-angler
08-29-2011, 08:07 AM
After reading many reports and learning about catching halibut in the surf. Recent posts from the SWAT and old ones from sinjinkim and others (thank you guys so much!). I finally had opportunity to chase them on OC beach.

Sorry no pics. I have caught legal buts but never from the surf.
I caught this one with a hard bait, also got a short 'but and a nice size yfc. A bunch of little bsp fell for the blood worms on a c-rig.

So it was awesome to feel the heavy head shakes. The run for deep water. Not seeing the fish and guessing what or how big it was. Then finally trying to surf the fish in on the next decent wave. It is always a satisfying feeling to measure it and seeing it pass the 22'' mark. This one was right at 23".

I usually c&r or cpr all my fish, but a nice legal halibut makes for a delicious meal for the family! I released this first "PB from the surf" legal halibut, mainly because I did not know what to do with it.
I did not want to just leave it on the beach to bake in the sun.

I surf fish with the Third Grip holder and one extra pole. No cooler or "bucket".The walk to the car was too long and I was not ready to go home yet.

What do you use to put the fish in and carry along with you as you keep on pounding the surfline?
So how do you guys handle your take home catch?

vanillagurilla
08-29-2011, 08:54 AM
i use a long stringer and drag it around in the water lol.

smokehound
08-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Dont worry about the fish spoiling. None of the fish you purchase at the supermarket are fresh =P

It's either been sitting in shaved Ice for a week, or has been frozen/defrosted several times.

And BEFORE it was ever iced, it was sitting on the deck in the sunlight for hours, while the deckhands sort the fish. =P

Like VG said, lots of people use a clip-on stringer and just drag their fish around in the surf. I would be careful if you put a corbina or a large spotfin croaker on this kind of stringer, though. Wouldn't wanna step on that dorsal fin!

Which Way Out
08-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Back pack with a long narrow rope. Tie it off somewhere, rock, stick or pier. Arthur aka Wingnut and Roy aka Q3fishboy now have a big metal clip that is attached to his belt. I forgot what is called but it works well. I am sure someone will step in with the name.

BTW congrats

Indo-angler
08-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks so much guys that helps. I will look for a big clip and maybe look for the bag divers use to clip on the belt. I don't wear waders since I basically surf fish in the summer or maybe I have to just go the backpack route

Smokehound, I am not so concerned about fish spoiling as much as I just can't stand to see a good fish drying out on the sand.

Thanks which way out!

Wingnut
08-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Congrats on getting the nice Halibut. I'm sure there will be many more to come. :Cool:

DO NOT use a long stringer and drag your catch around in the surf... bad advice.
The constant surge will wrap the stringer around your legs and take you down, not good. :!!!:

Get a game clip (see pic below). The same ones used by kayakers & divers to secure your catch. On Ebay for around $20.00.

You can also bury your catch in the wet sand "above" the surf line and mark the spot. When you're done with your session, go back to the spot and dig it back up. Good for long stretch of beach where you don't want to lag your catch around. :Wink:

Also, nothing wrong with carrying it in your backpack as long as your session doesn't last all day.

Get your catch on ice or home as soon as possible.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/005-1.jpg

Indo-angler
08-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Hey Arthur,
Thanks for the congrats and the input. I have looked up the Big Game Clip online.

I noticed it on the pic in a previous post and wondered what that was. Nice pic of you surveying the water by the way.

Re the burying suggestion, a friend suggested it but we both kind of laughed about it. I guess at the right beach however it could be a viable option.

DockRat
08-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Old School :Thumbs Up: Gunny Sack.
I carry a Gunny Sack folded in half the rolled up tight with a rubber band.
Cheap effective. Good to dip in the water to keep your catch cool.
Keeps eyes off it too, Treehuggers, Sea Gulls, Seals.
You can clip it on your belt or leave it on the beach.
DR

Indo-angler
09-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Old School :Thumbs Up: Gunny Sack.
I carry a Gunny Sack folded in half the rolled up tight with a rubber band.
Cheap effective. Good to dip in the water to keep your catch cool.
Keeps eyes off it too, Treehuggers, Sea Gulls, Seals.
You can clip it on your belt or leave it on the beach.
DR

Thanks DockRat.

Interestingly, I had actually "caught" a gunny sack earlier, but I hadn't thought about using it to keep fish from the surf. Probably because it was kind of nasty with different creepy crawlers on it!

DockRat
09-03-2011, 09:17 AM
They sell them at the piers/landings/tackle shops $1.
There is ALOT of people that really frown upon killing fish. I've been hassled for keeping mackeral.
Some preppy gal was telling me that fishermen are taking ALL the fish. LMAO at KH.
I told her see all those Seals over there (laying on barge), California is sufferering from a Overpopulation of Seals,
They eat 20+ lbs of fish a day each. If you want to save the fish then we need to kill 100,000 + seals to lower the population.
At that point they walk away shocked and puzzeled. Lmao
DR

stocker
09-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Kill half of the seals, use the pelts for coats and close all fishing for 5 yrs. It would suck not being able to fish but I guarantee you that it would be well worth the wait.

Daneo
09-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I use the gunny also.I carry it folded in half under my belt.Spin it around behind me.When i get a keeper,you can use it to grip the fish and remove the hook also.Put the fish in head first and dunk the bag occasionally to keep it wet.Hide it up against the bluff or rocks in the shade while you fish.That way the fish huggers don't cry about what the don't see.Had a old timer that caught some nice Sargos and put them in his bucket with water.When he wasn't looking a group of brainwashed teenage treehuggers in training dumped his fish back in the water.He was fuming and ready to kill some hippies kids.I hate god dammed hippies!

murrieta angler
09-16-2011, 07:01 AM
I know this is late but first off, Congrats with the legal.
Wingnut nailed it, only thing is, if you are on the height challenged side, it might drag a bit.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><