PDA

View Full Version : The best baits to use at DVL are?

Pooldude
08-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Hi:

I've just started to fish DVL & as you can imagine, I'm having some trouble catching quality fish. I was wondering if you could tell me what you think are the top three baits & techniques to use on this lake for both largemouth & stripper? Also, where are the top producing places on the lake that you might recommend?

Thanks!
Jim
:???::???:

TopwaterTony
08-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Honestly you are asking for a lot of information in an open forum and many people won't want to give that info out for free (and by free don't think $$$ I mean time on the water is the price you have to pay). Not to mention, there is a plethora of information in the reports here, they will tell you ALOT. Look for Matt's posts and replies, he gives an excellent breakdown on fishing DVL.

Basicically, dropshot and texas rig plastics for largies all day for fish from dinks to donkeys. The strippers are tricky, but this time of the year they are starting to boil on the shad so mimicking them with look-a-like baits will nail them if you can find them. Strippers are constantly moving around the lake.

As for spots, there are TOO many to list. Try major points on the lake. If you are shore angling I can't help you much, but people do get good sized fish from shore.

Pooldude
08-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks for at least replying & you are so right. It's hard to understand why fishermen are so protective of their "secrets"! It's as if they think there's a limited number of fish in that lake & they want to make sure they save them for themselves. If I actually knew anything, I would be glad to share my knowledge with other fishermen, but then that's just me. I'm still looking fore those stripper boils I'm hearing about, but so far no have seen! I'll keep an eye out though. Thanks again Tony.
Honestly you are asking for a lot of information in an open forum and many people won't want to give that info out for free (and by free don't think $$$ I mean time on the water is the price you have to pay). Not to mention, there is a plethora of information in the reports here, they will tell you ALOT. Look for Matt's posts and replies, he gives an excellent breakdown on fishing DVL.

Basicically, dropshot and texas rig plastics for largies all day for fish from dinks to donkeys. The strippers are tricky, but this time of the year they are starting to boil on the shad so mimicking them with look-a-like baits will nail them if you can find them. Strippers are constantly moving around the lake.

As for spots, there are TOO many to list. Try major points on the lake. If you are shore angling I can't help you much, but people do get good sized fish from shore.

Stormcrow
08-29-2011, 01:28 PM
dude...if you see "stripper boils" you better see a doctor right away.

VietReefer
08-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks for at least replying & you are so right. It's hard to understand why fishermen are so protective of their "secrets"! It's as if they think there's a limited number of fish in that lake & they want to make sure they save them for themselves. If I actually knew anything, I would be glad to share my knowledge with other fishermen, but then that's just me. I'm still looking fore those stripper boils I'm hearing about, but so far no have seen! I'll keep an eye out though. Thanks again Tony.

You're probably not protective of your spots because you're probably don't have any good spot, or you found the spot without much time and effort. LOL. I'm just kidding though. Don't go berserk on me.
Now, I just want to say you didn't fully understand Tony's message. It's an open forum, and there are a lot of people who just lurk wishing to find some good location or honey hole, but never care or attempt to help or contribute anything to the forum. Most other fishermen will give you the info you ask for if you talk to them or send them a PM, but not on open forum. Now, some will not give you locations/honey hole, and don't blame them on being selfish. For example, my buddy fished the DVL for 15 days from open to close with a skunk for every single day. He finally found a spot but with that much time, money, and effort invest, if you were him will you go here and post that info here???? Hope you're understand what I am saying.
For bait, I've seen people success with anchovies, or makerel chunks. I've never tried bait fishing @ DVL and only fish lures so I don't know but that's what I've heard from other boaters. I've had some success fishing for stripers on the right of the marina, and the 3rd cove on the right of marina, also the buyo line and west damm. Good luck.

DarkShadow
08-29-2011, 01:43 PM
dude...if you see "stripper boils" you better see a doctor right away.

Hahaha...the over/under on the next 'stripper' thread slowly dwindles with this site.

Pooldude
08-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Guess I had better use a spell checker, huh!

DarkShadow
08-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Guess I had better use a spell checker, huh!

Yep, or else you might receive this

http://www.officialpsds.com/images/thumbs/Dollar-bill-on-hook-psd53726.png

as your next response regarding strippers and how to catch 'em.

reservoir dog
08-29-2011, 02:42 PM

Strippers can be tricky because sometimes when you pay for a lap dance they tend to kill time by just talking rather than bumping and grinding. Oh and if you get boils from stripper, like Stormcrow said, you better see a doctor right away!!!

white belt
08-29-2011, 03:08 PM
I prefer a large mouth over a stripper...

And to pooldude: I think people are hesitant to share info because of all the poachers lurking on here. Poke around though and you'll probably find the info you're looking for.

ToonaTangler
08-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Stocker trout work pretty good at DVL I hear, lol just kidding guys.