PDA

View Full Version : LMB personal best at Lake Perris 08/27/11

Kelster
08-27-2011, 05:17 PM
If you don't count the one I caught at Peck Road almost 30 years ago.
Got to Bernasconi Rd gate a little after 6:00 am and waited for the ranger. they show up in a couple of minutes and tell me that a couple of cars had been broken into earlier this week :mad:, Park the truck and start the walk down to the water. It's 6:30 and the water is 78^ and glass. Push off and start working at 18'-22' deep. By 8:00 am I have caught 5 BG and feel pretty good, one is 9 1/2". I meet headcase881, Dude is rocking one of those beards that us married guys would if our wives would let us :Smile:.and he's working the plastics on LMB and doing pretty good. The BG are hard to find so I decide to start the hunt for LMB. Thanks headcase for letting me work your grounds. I DS a purple Robo but keep a crappie jig in the water because that's what I always do. headcase and his buddy are slaying the LMB and then I start landing some.
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h326/kelima559/Snapbucket/1f9f3823-43ee-4a65-a350-db5ac3460d16.jpg
This one got tangled up with the jig line and now I am out of position. Finally get him back into the water and untangle the mess he made.
I get them both out and Bendo goes the jig. The drag is screaming and line is being peeled off. I HAVE 2# line on this reel and there is no way I can turn him so I start to chase it to deeper water. So there I am the fish behind me and I am kicking hard to catch up with it. I can't see it but it jumps in from of headcase and he says it is big. I finally get some line back and it is going straight down, good thing there is no structure there. So after I've been pinned to the rail I start to see color and it looks pretty big to me. He didn't like my ugly face so makes another run. I'm worrying about the line, my knot, and the PWC's that are buzzing us. I finally get it close enough to lip him and am looking down the biggest mouth I have seen. Headcase's buddy is there to take the picture.
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h326/kelima559/Snapbucket/c7fce1d2-e015-492f-a90f-6763ca88393d.jpg
Thanks to all who directed me to the launch at Bernasconi and to headcase881 for letting me fish with them. He ended up with 15-20.

fishmounter
08-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Kelster- Awesome man! Nice bass! Looks like decided to go to the left. You found the right spot for that bad boy! Did you get a chance to weigh or measure it? Bluegill were not happening much? Hey very nice set up for your rods and the FB 120...

headcase881
08-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Great day on the water and congrats on the personal best. never have i herd drag scream like that it was awsome. i could only imagine the wait on that girl durring the spawn the lmb where going nuts overe there today most bass i ever caught. good fishing with you kelster hope to see you out there again

Kelster
08-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Kelster- Awesome man! Nice bass! Looks like decided to go to the left. You found the right spot for that bad boy! Did you get a chance to weigh or measure it? Bluegill were not happening much? Hey very nice set up for your rods and the FB 120...
Thanks stayed pretty much west of the launch. After trying different things and watching headcase881 I ended up fishing just out side of the buoy line. I was able to weigh it on my digital and it was 6.7. With the arthritis in my hands it took me longer then i wanted and needed to get it back in the water so I was unable to measure it. The BG stopped after 8:00am, i was able to catch a couple of smaller ones later by the buoy. I hope to get back out there in a couple of weeks and see if I can find some BG's. For some reason the LMB's are stacked up out there. I looked at my topo map of the lake and the BB120 never showed any structure or drop offs. Just a small valley leading out from the road.
Funny thing was, the crazier the PWC's got the hotter the bass bite got.

Kelster
08-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks again for letting fish with you guys. I was thinking three dots on the water would help the PWC see us. You two caught some poundage out there, every time I looked up you guys were on. Your buddy with that double hook-up was cool too.

headcase881
08-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah it was awsome he got two doubles i almost had one on the way in

SirBluegill
08-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Way to go out there Kelster, I love fishing that side of the lake. You got a nice float tube setup I like how you angled the rod holders.

bassgrabber1
08-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Awesome catch and Congrats Kelster!!!! Steve and I will be out on my boat first thing in the morning.....wish us luck.!

adiablo420
08-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Remember one time I was fishIn for crappie and got about a 4 lber bass with 4 lb test boy I was Chaz in her down trying to not let the line snap. Managed to pull her in after about 15 minutes . It's was worth it.' boy was that drag screaming .

jpod
08-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks again for letting fish with you guys. I was thinking three dots on the water would help the PWC see us. You two caught some poundage out there, every time I looked up you guys were on. Your buddy with that double hook-up was cool too.
may i ask what a PWC is

fishmounter
08-28-2011, 12:24 AM
jpod- Personal Water Craft: Jet Skis, Sea Doos, etc.. Sometimes the people driving those fast little watercrafts do not see a small single float tuber, so if there's several tubers together, they are more apt to be seen. Safety in numbers. Bright colors on the float tube and fisherman's clothing helps to be seen also.

Coefficient13
08-28-2011, 12:54 AM
Grats, dude.

Nice tube setup.

Sublime-Steve
08-28-2011, 05:03 AM
Hey kel nice fish man, and on 2 lb test:EyePop:.. congrats

Kelster
08-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks, wish I could take credit for the pole set up but I got the idea from here:
http://www.fishinglakes.com/advanced_float_tube_rigging.htm
There were two PWC's doing donuts not far from us which kept us on our toes.
There was a boat full of people over where we were fishing and it must have looked like the fish was dragging my tube as I was kicking backwards to keep up with the fish. After I landed the fish I could hear them clapping.
I love fishing from that tube, such a different experience then fishing any other way. I wish I could find where the crappie are holding. I have an old topo map of Lake Perris and I can see some mounds and the tire reef but haven't found any structure.
Well just as I start to learn more about the lake it will be trout season and I will head back up the mountain. I like tubing in trunks and will need to get some breathable waders for the fall as my neoprenes are a little hot unless the water is pretty cold.

HawgStalker
08-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Congrats! Thx for the read... nice report!

Thats one tricked out tube setup!

M@M
08-28-2011, 04:08 PM
"I was kicking hard to keep up"...WTG Kelster!!....NICE BASS!....GOOD TIMES!!!!:Smile:....thanks for the report and pics!!.....Gotta Love Lake Perris. I'm missing out this year:Sad:

EagleClaw85
08-28-2011, 05:13 PM
dam i need a tube.nice fish!

Kelster
08-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Way to go out there Kelster, I love fishing that side of the lake. You got a nice float tube setup I like how you angled the rod holders.
The angled holders work great when I have to carry the tube, put the poles in the angled holders and strap the tube on my back. Trolling is easier with them angled.

phishin phool
08-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Dude!! Awesome pig, congrats!!!! Pretty soon your gonna have to start guiding there, your getting to know that lake well. Excellent fishing skills bringing it in on 2lb test!

Kelster
08-29-2011, 06:57 AM
I've learned a lot from some great folks here on FNN and on the water. Just learn the basics and get out in the water and have some fun. Having the float tube has opened up so many possibilities that shoreline fishing and even from a boat doesn't allow.

TheAsianGuy
08-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Like fishmounter said, great gear setup! Angled rod holder, with the ability to sway in any direction, is critical when you're trolling in the tube. Perfect time to sit in a tube and have a bit of fun before the winter hits. After that, it's all about keeping warm from there on in. Hope you guys are ready!

Seiyajin
08-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Wow! That's an awesome setup, oh, and congrats on the catches! I'm new to all of this, but I keep hearing about how Lake Perris has been hot all summer. I must make a trip out there.

fishmounter
08-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Kelster- Hey nice talking to you on the phone last Friday. Hope my Lake Perris tip helped you (looks like it did-cool!) Thanks for showing us that great website for making float tube rod holders, etc. Very informative and some great photos to help. Also wanted to ask you, and I'm sure other fishermen are curious too... what brand of 2 lb test did you use?

El Pescadero
08-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Congrats nothing better than a nice day on the lake topped off with a PB.

Kelster
08-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Kelster- Hey nice talking to you on the phone last Friday. Hope my Lake Perris tip helped you (looks like it did-cool!) Thanks for showing us that great website for making float tube rod holders, etc. Very informative and some great photos to help. Also wanted to ask you, and I'm sure other fishermen are curious too... what brand of 2 lb test did you use?
FM@ Yep, it got me started in the right direction off of the road then I kicked around for 3-4 hrs for the BG and when I saw what headcase was doing I changed up and went DS w/ a plastic worm but always troll a super duper or jig. I had one break me off a little earlier so I loosened the drag a smidgen. I really don't know what brand it was. I remember I bought it at Turners and it was mono, probably Berkely as I remember it was a red box, but don't know for sure.