PDA

View Full Version : Need help with DFG reg clarification

Shaman
08-27-2011, 08:32 AM
I copied this from the FAQ on the DFG website. Am I understanding this correctly that an angler may use more than two rods at one time?

Q. How many rods can I use while fishing from the shore where a fishing license is required?

A. Any number of hooks and lines may be used to take finfish in all ocean waters and bays except in San Francisco and San Pablo bays between the Golden Gate Bridge and the west Carquinez Bridge, where you may only use one line with no more than three hooks. Species-specific gear restrictions (such as for rockfish, lingcod and salmon) do apply when fishing from the shore.

GotBass?
08-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Correct, unless you are fishing from a public pier, you may use as many rods as you want while in the ocean.

Shaman
08-27-2011, 09:16 AM
I'd like to know how DFG comes up with so many conflicting guidelines. That one is hard to believe but thats how I'm interpreting it.

DockRat
08-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Correct, unless you are fishing from a public pier, you may use as many rods as you want while in the ocean.

Yep, but I do believe there is something deep in the rules about you can only use as many rods as you can handle.

Example; You put out 20 rods during a hot bite.
You can't handle 20 rods getting bit so you can be cited.
DR

DockRat
08-27-2011, 09:25 AM
I'd like to know how DFG comes up with so many conflicting guidelines.

Where is the conflicting guidelines ?

The problem with the Pier guys is that if they didn't have the 2 rod rule then
guys would camp out in a chair and watch 10 rods per angler.
2 rods on a pier is a good law.
DR

Shaman
08-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Where is the conflicting guidelines ?

The problem with the Pier guys is that if they didn't have the 2 rod rule then
guys would camp out in a chair and watch 10 rods per angler.
2 rods on a pier is a good law.
DR

Two rod's on the pier is a good law, as it stands sometimes it becomes a tangled mess up there especially in windy conditions.

The conflicting issue for me is that up North there are places where only one rod is acceptable, other places it's two, and now come to hear there's unlimited. Im sure there is a rhyme to their reasoning, but it can be confusing for anglers.

Mountain Man Dan
09-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Two rod's on the pier is a good law, as it stands sometimes it becomes a tangled mess up there especially in windy conditions.

The conflicting issue for me is that up North there are places where only one rod is acceptable, other places it's two, and now come to hear there's unlimited. Im sure there is a rhyme to their reasoning, but it can be confusing for anglers.

It is as many as you can handle atleast in Southern and I believe Central California.

Shaman - You are correct though, there are places in Northern California where it is only 1 rod. Look at DFGs website or there annual rules book and it clarifies which spots in NorCal have rod limits.

Mountain Man Dan
09-09-2011, 12:06 PM

It is as many as you can handle atleast in Southern and I believe Central California unless on a pier.

Shaman - You are correct though, there are places in Northern California where it is only 1 rod. Look at DFGs website or their annual rules book and it clarifies which spots in NorCal have rod limits.

Shaman
09-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Something I should have already known, but didn't. I find it best to air on the side of caution until I really understand the lingo. Looking forward to my next day in/on the water!