PDA

View Full Version : saltwater mullet Q's

evosamurai
08-26-2011, 07:00 PM
i fish the huntington harbor docks regularly and i see some big *** fish swimming around and lunging into the air, they get about 3 feet up. was wondering if anyone has caught one and can tell me how to catch them, i know they are vegetarian, but read online i can use a lugworm with a #10 mosquito hook. tried that today, no luck, but the water was murky and cloudy unlike the usual clear where i can see them hitting the mud. They jump out of the water all day, just wanna catch the damn things any help is appreciated.

brad1
08-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Maybe try to get them like carp...with some corn or bread...not really sure though just a thought

fishmounter
08-26-2011, 08:48 PM
They are almost impossible to catch. I wanted to see one up close so I snagged one (by accident of course-right) in the Newport Harbor back bay, and I'll tell you what... that fish was one of the strongest fish I have EVER caught! It was a big one, about 15 pounds or so, but man! You talk about power and speed! And I had it stuck in the head, not the tail. Got him right under the bottom jaw on my bass rod and 10 lb line. They are Striped Mullet and are a little weird looking- big broad blunt heads and strange almost cat-like eyes. Wish they would take a bait, because they are a fun, (and fast!) fish to catch for sure.

evosamurai
08-26-2011, 08:57 PM
yeah i see them in schools cruising around they are huge, then they are jumping out of the water all over all day. gonna try bread, lug worm, and someone told me to get seaweed or something like that from an asian market, i have mosquito hooks, and gonna use 6lb test, if i hook one hope it doesnt go around a pylon or im gone.

TUNAVIC
08-26-2011, 09:33 PM
I had a friend who fished out of Los Alimitos bay, and one day he came back with a bunch of mullet and said he caught them on anchovies,he didnt say how but evidently he had the key,I know this isn;t alot of help but all Im sayin is they can be caught.

TheAsianGuy
08-26-2011, 10:22 PM
What the heck are they? Hybrids with tuna and shark? :LOL: never see them before.

fishmounter
08-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Hey... Why is this topic in the "So Cal FRESHWATER General Discussion" section? But it's cool because there are mullet in the Colorado River and I have even seen them in Lake Matthews, which gets it's water from the Colorado... so I guess they can adjust to freshwater from brackish.

evosamurai
08-27-2011, 09:31 AM
were the anchovies alive or frozen??

ScottyP
08-27-2011, 10:54 AM
I caught one three days ago.
See my report.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?60031-Ballona-Creek-8-23-2011-New-Species!

DockRat
08-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Check out

http://mulletjunky.com/

Click on Mulletinos, Skullets, ect.

They are thick at Anahiem St in LB in the LA River.
That part of the river is a SW/FW mix and the river runs backwards during a big tide swing when the high tide is coming in.

At low tide there is a berm you can fish on turn in at the old West Coast Choppers st.
You can sight fish them there.

I think they will hit the Asian seaweed or maybe peas just like Opaleye.

I caught one three days ago.
See my report.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?60031-Ballona-Creek-8-23-2011-New-Species!

Hey Scotty, is that you in the youtube video ?

Yum Yum, Toxic Contaminated LA River Mullet.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj137/semiller3/DSCF2915.jpg

smokehound
08-31-2011, 01:04 PM
The problem is, they have incredible eyesight. They seem to be pretty intelligent fish, too. There are enormous mullet way far up the Back bay, like FM said.

Call me crazy, but I watched some mullets bolting around WAYYY far up the back bay, by my mother's friend's house, looked like they were rushing back and forth to dislodge small critters from the mud. I couldnt even track the damn things, looked like they were swimming faster than 70 mph.. Imagine an 80 lb mullet. I couldnt see anyone landing that. :ROFL: