PDA

View Full Version : Need some rod opinions...

Nipple Twister
08-26-2011, 02:04 PM
I have been surf fishing for the past few months using new reels and rod. I picked up two Shimano Sprirex 4000FG/4000RG and a Clarus medium/easy 9' rod. The rod has been great, working like it should and seems to be well suited for what I am doing. The reels have been too except for the RG. I preferred using the RG with the "Fighting Drag" and being a spinner I was used to using. Well the RG starting having some issues: developed a "clunk" in the spool oscillation and then the anti-reverse quit working. As suggested by the tackle shop I got it through I went to Shimano in Irvine but they were no help at all, telling me there is evidence of salt use in the reel....."but it is listed as Salt Water approved by you"! Also said it would be 3-4 weeks before they could even tell me if they would warranty the reel, :Angry: never mind (more on this later, I'll give them a chance to redeem themselves).
So, I decided to take things up a notch, picked up a Daiwa Luna 203L. With that being said I would like to hear what your opinions are for a baitcasting rod for surf fishing?
I have to keep it below $200.......

vanillagurilla
08-26-2011, 02:09 PM
8'6" clarus med fast or med-hvy, a little higher quality would be a crucial, i would get a 7'11" MH fast.

jeepnkal
08-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Have you ever tried a Carrot Stix? I recently switched and im hooked. I ordered two rods, a medium and medium heavy, but the store sent me two M/H instead so I have yet to try a Medium, I cant wait.

Look 'em up.

brad1
08-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Ya I would say anything 8'+ and a good med heavy just in case you hook a really good size fish you can land it...fast action is great also

bsp
08-27-2011, 10:09 AM
What do you want to use it for mainly? Perch rod, LC rod, dropshot rod, etc? No need to go over 8' in length by the way. Put some ABEC 7 bearings in your Luna 203 and match it with a moderate or mod-fast crankbait rod and you'll launch LCs. I use a Phenix XG-1 79H glass cranking rod with a Luna 203 and it is an awesome LC combo. The rod retails for $160.

Nipple Twister
08-27-2011, 04:02 PM
First of all lemme say this: A HUGE THANK YOU for all your responses!
Vanillagurilla, I was pretty much leaning that way but was also really interested in the Carrot Stix too, thx Jeepnkal.
After going over what I had available to spend, what where my choices from on the rack ( didn't wanna wait for an order. I still have an Clarus spinner on order for the past two weeks and still no word as to when I will see it) and how quickly I will "outgrow" what I get now since I still have to master using this type of reel. So with all that and also taking in consideration what Mike at Mako Matts Tackle had to offer. He and Matt have been a huge help with getting me started, I would highly recommend for any fishing needs.
So basically with what I got here and what was on the shelf I went with a Shimano Crucial 7'-0", 8-15lb test, 1/8-3/8 oz lure, med light, fast action one piece rod. This will get me going and as I learn I can fine tune and move up to something more fitting. I have loaded the reel up with 205yds of 15lb Spectra braided. So now I get to also learn how to tie a Uni knot.......whew.
Again, thanks for the help.......tight lines! :Big Grin: