PDA

View Full Version : Vacation sessions

Nipple Twister
08-26-2011, 01:40 PM
After a couple of years without taking any real vacation other then some extended weekend trips and without the funding to go out of town for multiple days starting today I have the next 11 days off and other then opening day dove season I will be spending it surf fishing at as many local locations as I can.
That being said today was day 1. I had a good outing last weekend, well Mon actually, and Shimano being absolutly no help fixing my new reel I thought "maybe I will just take a day or two off from fishing and start back at it Mon. Well, I CAN'T ok! I'm having just too damn much fun with this, today I stayed local and hit my home A.O. On the water by greylight I started out with team member Flash Minnow. Surf was 1-2 foot, tide was low but on it way back in, semi-clear water and little salad if any. Worked my way up the beach looking for the holes, not getting much but a few bumps. After a couple of hours I decided to switch tactics and go with team member Kastmaster. Badda Boom, badda bing, 10 cast later got a shorty:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach082611a.jpg
Kept at it, liking the Kastmaster, goes l o n g on cast and easy on retrieve lets me feel every little bump. Less then 30 mins later, bam!
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach082611b.jpg
Feeling good, that at least the skunk was off. Stayed with it and about 10:30ish I decided that that was it and started working my way back down the beach. As I got closer to my starting point I can see another fisherman working the surf with the similar setup as myself: waders, backpack, working the surf in a similar manner so I thought as I got closer I will stop and see who it is. Low and behold it was a good friend and fellow FNNer! He said he saw my Jeep parked so he came down to wet a line and see how things where going. We chatted for a bit, fish a bit more. He was able to get a shorty too. Unexpected surprise and cool to finish the morning together.
So, thats day 1.......'til next time, thanks for listening........:Big Grin:

5150fishn
08-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Nice way to start off the vacation. Those kastmasters do go long. Nice job on the short hali's. Good luck on the rest of your vacation. Thanks for the report.

SP Dan
08-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Hey NT,
What a great way to start day #1 of your vacation! You are diffidently getting their attention in the trenches! Two Hali's, way to beat the Skunk! I've only used the KM in fresh water with pretty good success. What weight were you casting? I've never tried to cast one in the surf. huh. I'll have to give it a try. Thanx!
I'm looking forward to your next report. Keep on having a great vacation!
SP Dan <"))><

PONTOON
08-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Hey Nipple Twister,

Day one of your vacation and you're already zeroing in on the local halibut.:Shocked:

You know I'm happy for ya, getting to work the surf with you and getting to see you bring your first legal halibut to the beach with one of the best saves I've seen in a long time.
However, If I'm going to have to read two weeks worth of surf fishing the Southern California coast with a hunting trip mixed in I may just become a little irritated back home in the trenches............:LOL::LOL:

It was good to see you out at the beach today and I'm especially glad that I had someone there to witness my second session skunk buster.

You have a great time the next couple of weeks and don't worry about us poor guys being short handed while you're on the prowl for legal two, three, four........:LOL::Thumbs Up:

DockRat
08-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Good job with the Kastmaster.
Kastmasters Kickass.
DR

Nipple Twister
08-27-2011, 12:22 PM
5150fishn
Nice way to start off the vacation. Those kastmasters do go long. Nice job on the short hali's. Good luck on the rest of your vacation. Thanks for the report.

Yeah no kidding, I'm likin it. Thanks for reading the report 5150fishn and the kind words......

SP Dan
Hey NT,
What a great way to start day #1 of your vacation! You are diffidently getting their attention in the trenches! Two Hali's, way to bet the Skunk! I've only used the KM in fresh water with pretty good success. What weight were you casting? I've never tried to cast one in the surf. huh. I'll have to give it a try. Thanx!
I'm looking forward to your next report. Keep on having a great vacation!
SP Dan <"))><

Yeah SP Dan give it a go, I too would have never thought about kastmaster in salt. Have had up and down success in fresh.......the one I was using that day was 5/8 oz with the green with black strips......thx for your response......
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/Kastmaster.jpg

PONTOON
Hey Nipple Twister,

Day one of your vacation and you're already zeroing in on the local halibut.

You know I'm happy for ya, getting to work the surf with you and getting to see you bring your first legal halibut to the beach with one of the best saves I've seen in a long time.
However, If I'm going to have to read two weeks worth of surf fishing the Southern California coast with a hunting trip mixed in I may just become a little irritated back home in the trenches............

It was good to see you out at the beach today and I'm especially glad that I had someone there to witness my second session skunk buster.

You have a great time the next couple of weeks and don't worry about us poor guys being short handed while you're on the prowl for legal two, three, four........

Hey I have to say it was cool seeing ya there, was thinking you where out at some exotic locale taken a lot of pics, suprised the heck outta me.
Again, thanks for all your support, now lets see if I can get a handle on this Luna, whole new concept for me. Looking forward to hitting the surf again with ya bud.....

DockRat
Good job with the Kastmaster.
Kastmasters Kickass.
DR

Thank you very much DR, as much as I like the LC's this is working for me too.......

Nipple Twister
08-27-2011, 12:37 PM
As much as I would like to be able to post lots of pics today it just didn't happen. Was at another local spot at greylight, tide was low but incoming. Started out with the usual suspects, LC Flash Minnow. Worked the beach in a northern direction, had to get out a ways to deep water but the tide was changing fast. What was a shin deep area was quickly breaking at my waist but pushed on, felt a couple bumps but nothing stuck. As the higher tide pushed me back closer to shore a nice trench was developing so I got into it and BAM! El Bendo with the drag singing! What ever I had was pulling about as hard as I have had up to now but I stayed with it and got it turned around, took off a couple more times when it got into shallow water. On the third time back to me I was timing it with the waves and BING, LC came shooting back it me, came unbuttoned. Was kinda bummed but had fun none the less so lets keep trying.
After a few hours changed spots a little to calmer waters, switched to the Kastmaster. Couple of hours of that with nothing really to say....decided that it just wasn't there today so I called it.......'til next time, thanks for listening.........:Fishing Hole:

tpfishnfool
08-27-2011, 01:55 PM
''Nipple Twister" Hahahahahahhahaha....

Nipple Twister
08-27-2011, 02:37 PM
"tpfishnfool" yawwwwwwwwnnnnnnnn....:ROFL:

Wingnut
08-27-2011, 02:51 PM
NT, those Kastmasters are fun until you hook up to something bigger... those weak hooks will bend out faster than you can wave goodbye to your catch. :LOL:
I prefer the Luhr Jensen Krocodiles myself. :Wink:
You're putting in good work out there, keep it up and enjoy your vacation. :Cool:

Ifishtoolittle
08-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Gotta love those Kastmasters. Stupid things will only get me Macs, Lizards, YFCs, and trout. Arrrgh...I need a Butt' now!

PONTOON
08-28-2011, 10:58 AM
NT,

Thanks for the text update after the second session. I'm looking forward to getting more as the week progresses. I'm sure they'll help me get through the week.:Cool:

We both talked about how there's going to be the good days and the not so good days. I'm going to be following your vacation posts as you put them up. I've got a feeling there are going to be plenty of pictures to share as the week progresses.

I got the pic of your new Luna and I'm looking forward to hearing how well you like it. Keep pounding the O.C. beaches this week and good luck on the hunting trip too!:Thumbs Up:

Nipple Twister
08-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Wingnut
NT, those Kastmasters are fun until you hook up to something bigger... those weak hooks will bend out faster than you can wave goodbye to your catch.
I prefer the Luhr Jensen Krocodiles myself.
You're putting in good work out there, keep it up and enjoy your vacation.

WN, Thanks for the advice on the hooks, went directly to the tackle and changed all Kastmasters to #6 Owners (red). I do have a couple Crocs and they will be put into service tomorrow.
Thanks for looking in, as of this writing I'm still not sure "where" for tomorrow....."do I go north or head south.....Hmmmm,......:whistle:

Ifishtoolittle
Gotta love those Kastmasters. Stupid things will only get me Macs, Lizards, YFCs, and trout. Arrrgh...I need a Butt' now!

Yeah got lucky didn't I?........keep at it, your Kastmaster 'but is coming!

PONTOON
NT,

Thanks for the text update after the second session. I'm looking forward to getting more as the week progresses. I'm sure they'll help me get through the week.

We both talked about how there's going to be the good days and the not so good days. I'm going to be following your vacation posts as you put them up. I've got a feeling there are going to be plenty of pictures to share as the week progresses.

I got the pic of your new Luna and I'm looking forward to hearing how well you like it. Keep pounding the O.C. beaches this week and good luck on the hunting trip too!

Hey man I need ya there to lead the drive, falls apart by myself....hehehe..you"ll be the first to know how the remainder of the session goes but I'm sure I'll be calling ya with Luna questions as the week progresses. Wish I could say I'd be interested on how things go downtown but....naaaa, not so much :ROFL:.
Thanks for the support and the Luna is sweet, never thought a reel like this was possible.......(see more in Day 3 report). :Big Grin:

Nipple Twister
08-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Its with regret that I must report the sad, tragic loss of two team members, Lucky Craft Flash Minnow Metallic Ayu and Gold Kastmaster. It was a preventable accident which took the lives of both members......I digress.....
As things progressed I was having a bit of trouble with a spinning reel leaving me frustrated and looking for a possible replacement. Taking some opinions from some fellow FNNer's and the advice of Pontoon I took this weeks grocery money and picked up a Daiwa Luna 203L and a Shimano Crucial. Had the reel filled with 15lb Spectra braided, got some instructions on how to tie Uni knots and spent the evening tieing, reading and watchin video. Got rigged up with the LC, made my drop adjustments, practiced feathering the spool to where I could let it drop freespool and lightly stop it before it hit the ground. Not one to wait my plan was to hit the local A.O at greylight with the new setup leading the way (did carry the spinner for backup and C-riggin).
Conditions seemed good, tide incoming, surf moderate......still kinda dark but I was ready. Was gonna make a few soft easy casts to get the feel of things so I made a smooth stroke overhead, the LC took flight and was feeling the line spool off with light thumb pressure and BAM! Reel stopped hard and then SNAP,BING....there goes LC with about 20yds of red 15lb braid trailing behind:Crying: rookie mistake #1.....R.I.P my friend, R.I.P.
Now with minimum light all I could see was not a full ratnest backlash, only a couple of loops seemed bound but bound up it was, it stopped so hard the braid broke right at the reel and now could not pull more loose. I also checked to make sure it was still in freespool.....yup, no worries, Backspinning the spool I got it free and with all the windings heading the same direction it still would only come off a few feet at a time and stop turning. Tieing one the end to a Lifeguard tower I pulled about 30yrds off and it seemed to be free again. Tied on Mr. Kastmaster ($6 a lot safer then $20) and went back at it. Within about 20 cast I was feeling pretty good. The feel and ability of this reel is absolutly amazing :Envious:.
So I go about my normal routine up the beach just enjoying the way this thing works and being totally blown away that I'm able to get it out there. I had a limited morning available (promised the little women) so I start to head back. Gettin nothing but bumps here and there but didn't care, I knew it would be a testing day and short. As I reach the point of calling it I hook up with something BIG.....El Bendo big time, drag going out but I was able to pull and wind and get it going my way. Shortly I figure out..."hmm, no shakin and the pullin was all me and the waves, must be salad the size of a Yugo". Not wanting to give up my Kastmaster I lug it in and it turns out to be a sportcoat with both pockets full of sand, "gee, hope the guy isn't still out there".
Pull my lure loose, sorry no pics, I continue my assult......rookie mistake #2, not re-tieing after such a pull! Yup, you guessed it, few casts later BING, Mr. Kastmaster to Daveys Locker :Angry:, nothing but my Flourocarbon leader flapping in the breeze and those little curls at the end wavin in my face......dumbass.
Costly mistakes that should have not happened but still feeling pretty good about working the Luna, what a great device. With only about 30 mins left I grab the spinner and a grub C-rigged I go hoping to keep the skunk off, no such luck and now going back to the spinner make the Luna even that much better. For Sale one Shimano Spirex 4000FG....J/K.
Tight lines everyone....'til next time, thanks for listening......:Big Grin:

Let's see if I can get the skunk off tomorrow, can't wait!

PONTOON
08-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Hey NT,

Don't be spending all that grocery money now. It's supposed to be your turn to buy the Brats for the George foreman Grill when you get back from vacation.:LOL:

I'm glad you like the new reel and I'm sure that with a little practice you are going to like it even more. I'll be down at the beach tomorrow morning looking for that LC hoping that maybe it floated back to shore like the last time.
And as for the sport coat did you get a measurement? because if you didn't it won't count toward the vacation total.

Once again good Luck this week on the water and the field.:Thumbs Up:

fishshep
08-29-2011, 07:25 AM
:Shocked:

Never caught a Hali on a KM !!! :Surprised:

I would suppose, let it sink to the bottom,

and do a slow retrieve ? Gotta try that now !!!

Thanks for the info.:Smile:

Nipple Twister
08-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Well, I'll keep it brief................":Skunk:"

Went extended today, conditions: 4'+ surf, incoming 5' tide.
Covered multiple spots at the first A.O. Climbed rocks, fetched lures from huge eel grass balls, worked some beach getting slammed by the surf. Drove to another A.O. and worked a L O N G stretch of beach, was hot as hell but had a blast. About 10 hrs invested and the Luna worked flawlessly all day. Closest I got was landing a good size BSP, came unbuttoned just as it was coming out of the water :Angry:.
Between all the walking, rock climbing, re-ties (every team member got an "at bat" today) I am a whipped puppy........

Tomorrow will be much closer to home......."til next time, thanks for listening......

Karyn
08-29-2011, 06:07 PM
NT- You are having one great vacation! :) Lucky you!

PONTOON
08-29-2011, 09:05 PM
NT,

Man I'm glad you like the new reel. I'd have really been in trouble if this new one didn't fit the bill!:Cool:

Keep the reports coming, They're getting me through those long days downtown.:Cool:

jerryG
08-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Its with regret that I must report the sad, tragic loss of two team members, Lucky Craft Flash Minnow Metallic Ayu and Gold Kastmaster. It was a preventable accident which took the lives of both members......I digress.....
As things progressed I was having a bit of trouble with a spinning reel leaving me frustrated and looking for a possible replacement. Taking some opinions from some fellow FNNer's and the advice of Pontoon I took this weeks grocery money and picked up a Daiwa Luna 203L and a Shimano Crucial. Had the reel filled with 15lb Spectra braided, got some instructions on how to tie Uni knots and spent the evening tieing, reading and watchin video. Got rigged up with the LC, made my drop adjustments, practiced feathering the spool to where I could let it drop freespool and lightly stop it before it hit the ground. Not one to wait my plan was to hit the local A.O at greylight with the new setup leading the way (did carry the spinner for backup and C-riggin).
Conditions seemed good, tide incoming, surf moderate......still kinda dark but I was ready. Was gonna make a few soft easy casts to get the feel of things so I made a smooth stroke overhead, the LC took flight and was feeling the line spool off with light thumb pressure and BAM! Reel stopped hard and then SNAP,BING....there goes LC with about 20yds of red 15lb braid trailing behind:Crying: rookie mistake #1.....R.I.P my friend, R.I.P.
Now with minimum light all I could see was not a full ratnest backlash, only a couple of loops seemed bound but bound up it was, it stopped so hard the braid broke right at the reel and now could not pull more loose. I also checked to make sure it was still in freespool.....yup, no worries, Backspinning the spool I got it free and with all the windings heading the same direction it still would only come off a few feet at a time and stop turning. Tieing one the end to a Lifeguard tower I pulled about 30yrds off and it seemed to be free again. Tied on Mr. Kastmaster ($6 a lot safer then $20) and went back at it. Within about 20 cast I was feeling pretty good. The feel and ability of this reel is absolutly amazing :Envious:.
So I go about my normal routine up the beach just enjoying the way this thing works and being totally blown away that I'm able to get it out there. I had a limited morning available (promised the little women) so I start to head back. Gettin nothing but bumps here and there but didn't care, I knew it would be a testing day and short. As I reach the point of calling it I hook up with something BIG.....El Bendo big time, drag going out but I was able to pull and wind and get it going my way. Shortly I figure out..."hmm, no shakin and the pullin was all me and the waves, must be salad the size of a Yugo". Not wanting to give up my Kastmaster I lug it in and it turns out to be a sportcoat with both pockets full of sand, "gee, hope the guy isn't still out there".
Pull my lure loose, sorry no pics, I continue my assult......rookie mistake #2, not re-tieing after such a pull! Yup, you guessed it, few casts later BING, Mr. Kastmaster to Daveys Locker :Angry:, nothing but my Flourocarbon leader flapping in the breeze and those little curls at the end wavin in my face......dumbass.
Costly mistakes that should have not happened but still feeling pretty good about working the Luna, what a great device. With only about 30 mins left I grab the spinner and a grub C-rigged I go hoping to keep the skunk off, no such luck and now going back to the spinner make the Luna even that much better. For Sale one Shimano Spirex 4000FG....J/K.
Tight lines everyone....'til next time, thanks for listening......:Big Grin:

Let's see if I can get the skunk off tomorrow, can't wait!

I switched to braid shortly after I began targeting halibut in the surf and I learned some hard lessons. I started with 30 lbs braid the first lesson I learned was that when professional over run (AKA back lash) occurs at the begining of a cast there is a possibility of the line snapping sending your LC lure to Davie Jones Locker. The spool stops and you immediately hear a loud snap... NOOOOOOO! After I lost two LCs I switched over 65 lbs braid and I didn't loose anymore LCs on the cast.

The second lesson I learned was even more costly than then the first. I noticed when I was hooking a bigger fish the hooks kept ripping out. After loosing several BIG fish due to the hooks tearing out I began using a more parabolic rod to absorb some of the shock from halibut head shakes. I also began backing off my drag after I hooked bigger fish. The first bigger I hooked after making the adjustments was well over 30" may be 35". I would estimate it to be about 15 lbs. The fish was in a few inches of water I needed just one last surge to land it. As the surging water pushed I pulled but with almost no stretch in my line the hooks ripped right out sending the LC straight back at me at high velocity. The lure hit me in the shoulder but the barbes didn't penetrate. There was nothing I could do but watch the fish swim away. I was done with braid in the surf. I'm confident I would have landed that fish with mono.

I stopped loosing fish when I went back to mono and eventually I swithed over to Flourocarbon which has been very good. Really more than anything it's preference/ confidence some swear by braid and while others will only use mono. A spinning outfit might be a good setup for braid in the surf. Some guys do well with it on their bait casters. I would not recommend it with out at least 4 to 6' of mono leader.

Jerryg

Wingnut
08-30-2011, 01:30 PM
I switched to braid shortly after I began targeting halibut in the surf and I learned some hard lessons. I started with 30 lbs braid the first lesson I learned was that when professional over run (AKA back lash) occurs at the begining of a cast there is a possibility of the line snapping sending your LC lure to Davie Jones Locker. The spool stops and you immediately hear a loud snap... NOOOOOOO! After I lost two LCs I switched over 65 lbs braid and I didn't loose anymore LCs on the cast.

The second lesson I learned was more costly than then the first. I noticed when I was hooking a bigger fish the hooks kept ripping out. After loosing several BIG fish due to the hooks tearing out I began using a more parabolic rod to absorb some of the shock from the halibut head shakes. I also began backing off my drag after I hooked bigger fish. The first bigger I hooked was well over 30 may be 35". I would estimate that it was about 15 lbs. I the fish of about 5" of water all I needed was one last surge to land the fish. As the surge pushed I pullled and the with no stretch in my line the hooks ripped right out sending the LC straight back at me at high velocity. The lure hit me in the shoulder the barbes didn't penetrate. As I watched the fish swim away my second lesson had been learned I was done with braid in the surf. I'm confident I would have landed that fish with mono.

I stopped loosing fish when I went back to mono. Eventually swithed over to Flourocarbon which has been very good. More expensive but it lasts 5 times longer than mono. I like it because it sinks and that seems to keep the lure in the zone. Really more than anything it's preference/ confidence some swear by braid and while others will only use mono. I like braid but it has it's place I use it for rockfish, kelp cutter rig, offshore, freshwater bass flippin and fishing the frog. If you do choose to use it in the surf I would recommend using a mono leader to help absorb the some of the shock from halibut headshakes or it might be good for a spinning setup.

Jerryg

Solid advice there Jerry. :Thumbs Up: I never use braid in the surf for the same reason(s).
A good quality mono is all you need. :Wink:

Nipple Twister
08-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Karyn
NT- You are having one great vacation! :) Lucky you!

Thank You Karyn, so far yes...very blessed.
Ain't Ca cooool, gonna add to the mix tomorrow, shake it up a bit and do a little bird huntin....In honor of Pops....:Big Grin:

PONTOON
NT,

Man I'm glad you like the new reel. I'd have really been in trouble if this new one didn't fit the bill!

Keep the reports coming, They're getting me through those long days downtown.

Hey thats how you learn, thru experience. Again I don't really feel it was a bad selection, it's just one of those things. If every reel left Shimano always perfect then a Customer Service Dept would not be needed....and pigs would fly! And hey, I did catch a legal Halibut with it.......did I just say that? BTW, got the skunk off today (see report).
Thx for the input big man, we'll talk later....

The second lesson I learned was even more costly than then the first. I noticed when I was hooking a bigger fish the hooks kept ripping out. After loosing several BIG fish due to the hooks tearing out I began using a more parabolic rod to absorb some of the shock from halibut head shakes. I also began backing off my drag after I hooked bigger fish. The first bigger I hooked was well over 30 may be 35". I would estimate it to be about 15 lbs. The fish was in a few inches of water I needed just one last surge to land it. As the surging water pushed I pulled but with almost no stretch in my line the hooks ripped right out sending the LC straight back at me at high velocity. The lure hit me in the shoulder but the barbes didn't penetrate. There was nothing I could do but watch the fish swim away. I was done with braid in the surf. I'm confident I would have landed that fish with mono.

I stopped loosing fish when I went back to mono and eventually I swithed over to Flourocarbon which has been very good. Really more than anything it's preference/ confidence some swear by braid and while others will only use mono.

Jerryg

Jerry, Thank You very much for the advise which I will heed, being somewhat new to surf fishing and not a lot of knowledge on the heavier test tackle, heavier then what I use for freshwater, I still rely on those "in the know" and time spent learning. I do generally keep the drag very light. That being said I was following some advise from my local tackle supplier and his offer to load my Luna for free, the braided is what he suggested but your info is very sound. At the very least it couldn't hurt to load up with Flouro and gain the knowledge of the comparison, thanks for taking the time out of your day to pass that along. Thats the kind of info you can't buy no matter how much you can afford to pay.......

Wingnut
Solid advice there Jerry. I never use braid in the surf for the same reason(s).
A good quality mono is all you need.

Yup, I do concur. This is also my first experience with Fluorcarbon using it as leader. It does have some different characteristics it seems to me, has some "memory" during some uses and the kinks where noticable after some use, C-rig mostly, so I would like to see/experience it with a full spool......thx for the input:UDaMan:

Nipple Twister
08-30-2011, 04:48 PM
With the want to further my learning, knowledge and experience with the surf and new gear I chose a semi-local familiar spot in the 'hood I grew up in.
Was a little delayed in being on-scene arriving just after sunrise I also had the little woman with me (she wanted to do a little rock hounding) and a very good friend of mine who I shared that era with but haven't seen in months. He doesn't fish but was willing to stand there in the surf so we could BS and I was able to show him what I have been up to lately, it was really cool to catch up.
Conditions: Overcast, low but incoming tide, surf was 2ish but breaking well off shore, water was semi-clear.
After meeting in the parking lot and an easy walk down to the water I jump right in and commenced to casting. Things are improving with casting the Luna, getting it a little further and more consistant. Today was team member LC Flash Minnow which now has not much color left on Port or Starboard but was very willing to push on. Worked that beach for almost 1.5 hrs getting bumps but nothing sticking until one small tap, tap I paused just a micro second and SET! Good little fight but at one point turned and came at me which was hard to catch up with the slack. Once tight line was regained I was able to beach it:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/MalagaCove083011a.jpg
Whoo Hoo.... :Dancing Banana:first on the Luna and got the skunk off, rays count right?
Kept at it enjoying the day and old times, remembering the antics that occured on these beaches some years ago....good times.
Less then 45 mins later this little guy:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/MalagaCove083011b.jpg
His tactic for getting loose was to keep burying itself in the sand....not against the mighty Luna!....:ROFL:

That was it, tide was 5'+ at this point causing a shore break and the wind coming on-shore......called it at around 10ish.

Thurs I will be fishing the skys for those little grey missles called Dove, anyone else going?

Tight lines everyone.......'til next time, thanks for listening.

PS, looks like some large surf after Weds....hmm, what to do, where to go?

PONTOON
08-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Good job out there NT!:Cool:

I pretty much knew you were going to be stomping the beach somewhere and it looks to me like it paid off for you.....i'm sure that new Luna will record a few new species in the next few days!:Thumbs Up:

Keep up the good work and don't worry about us guys being short handed in the trenches......we'll survive.:Sad:

Karyn
08-30-2011, 07:27 PM
NT- where are you hunting? Only dove or quail too? Rabbit? Is opening day the 1st? Nope. Not going out this year. It's a manly-man weekend. No girls allowed :) Honestly, I don't like the way the shotgun kicks. So, I'm good with that one- more time to fish!

Nipple Twister
08-30-2011, 08:25 PM
PONTOON
Good job out there NT!

I pretty much knew you were going to be stomping the beach somewhere and it looks to me like it paid off for you.....i'm sure that new Luna will record a few new species in the next few days!

Keep up the good work and don't worry about us guys being short handed in the trenches......we'll survive.

I bet those where some of the same fish you got from the same spot.....with the surf forcast for the upcoming days it will be tough.....thx for the support....

Karyn
NT- where are you hunting? Only dove or quail too? Rabbit? Is opening day the 1st? Nope. Not going out this year. It's a manly-man weekend. No girls allowed :) Honestly, I don't like the way the shotgun kicks. So, I'm good with that one- more time to fish!

I will be heading to Imperial Valley for Dove and yes it opens on Thurs the 1st not tomorrow as previous stated, don't know where my mind was at, possibly on vacation:LOL: Quail doesn't open until Oct......and yes girls are allowed. Now what to do tomorrow.........thx for posting.......

Karyn
08-30-2011, 08:49 PM
I will be heading to Imperial Valley for Dove and yes it opens on Thurs the 1st not tomorrow as previous stated, don't know where my mind was at, possibly on vacation:LOL: Quail doesn't open until Oct......and yes girls are allowed. Now what to do tomorrow.........thx for posting.......[/QUOTE]

NT: Maybe in your family girls are allowed; but not in mine. Tis' the weekend of three boys- now all men- burping, farting, spiting and shooting guns with their dad, grandpa, and uncles. It's cool. I don't necessarily want to be apart of that anyway. "Male Bonding Time"

They are going to Imperial Valley also :) Good times.

Nipple Twister
09-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Had a slight Hiatus from reporting mostly due to two things, dove season opener hunt and big surf.
Weds Day 6: :Skunk: I returned to Day 5's spot due to it having the less amount of surf forcasted but that didn't seem to help......tons of salad, heavy cloudy water but got time in working the Luna....practice, practice, pratice.....
Thurs: Dove Hunt, for those that care it went well.......got to my honey hole with a couple of guys already there but convinced them that "this isn't really a good spot" and they decided to try someplace else. Had two HUGE farm fields with a river down one side and a shade tree big enough for me AND the Jeep......it was hot but limited out by 10:30.
Fri: Spent the day with the little women.....
Sat Day 7: :Skunk: Went to a local A.O. just to have a look knowing the surf was gonna spoil it, pulled in my regular spot and jumped out, ran accross the sand and....hmmmmmm, no too bad, I'll try it! 3'-4' steady tide, surf breaking way off shore, very workable trenches but "no joy". Tried again in the afternoon, this time a couple spots sans the waves (harbor)...again, "no joy" and a lost Kastmaster!
Sun Day 8: :Skunk:With the possible crowd/parking issues with the holiday weekend I stayed close to home.....on the beach at greylight, same conditions as Day 7. It seems I'm the only one today. Started at one end and worked it to the other....getting the Luna a little further now but the fish where have none of it, called it at 10:30.

Well, Mon and Tues should be epic.....should I give up?...............NEVER!

Thanks for listening, 'til next time, tight lines......:Big Grin:

Nipple Twister
09-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Hoping to salvage some sort of excitment from the surf and loose that skunk, I stayed true to the home front and assulted the local A.O.
On the beach at greylight conditions did not look bad at all, really the only differance was the gloomy clouds, off/on rain and last nights light show was still showing off shore. If it keeps up I don't holding this rod and waving it around is such a wise idea. :Rolls Eyes: Also kinda strange, I'm the only one on the beach.....huh.
I went with an old favorite, team member LC Flash Minnow Metallic Sardine. A tried and true member of the line up but showing lots of wear. It had missing color so I added some there and was missing an eye so I searched thru my wifes arts & crafts and found some plastic eyes that had the floating pupils in them and added those, they are a little more bug eyed then the OEM and I was a little worried they might have negitive effect.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach090511g.jpg
Started at the south flank I began working my way north, water very clear and tide high gave to plenty of deep trenches. Stayed with it for a couple of hours and was starting to feel that frustration......"come on, four day skunk?" So I figured I would stay in this area for a while longer and call it, at least I got some more time in with the Luna, could be worse.
Few casts later and BAM! This little guy:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach090511a.jpg

Ok, ok. I can take that, no more skunk. Gets me more excited about staying I start working more of the beach and 20 mins later BAM again. This time a little more of a fight added to the retrieve. Timing it with the surf I bring it ashore:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach090511b.jpg

Feeling pretty good about the morning now I get to crankin it up a bit. This area has been covered twice now I move further north. Walk thru an area with just shallow water I cast/retrieve as I go. Getting closer to an "trenchy" area I switch to a more selective attack, using the "fan" method I try and cover all aspects and then move being sure to have some overlap. At this point I can see only two other fishermen, one is near me at the south end of this spot and up the beach I can see two guys together working the north end. I politely walk around the first guy, said hello and chatted briefly. He said things where slow but conditions seemed good and asked how I was doing with the LC and what was I after. "Halibut baby" but at this point anything.
I make my way north and swing Mr. Bugeyes back in the water. This area seems more suited and now feeling in the groove a bit more and hearing the music in my head from the morning drive down, Seether "just fake it"............
On one cast I get hit hard just as it hits the water, fighting and taking drag I feel that special little thing.....headshake! "Nice, possibly a Halibut".
Getting it close, time it with the wave and up slides:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/sunsetbeach090511c.jpg
Measured out at 21". Got the attention of Mr. South Fisherman and Mr. North Fishermans are looking too, releasing Mr. Hali I continue. Same tactics moving north.
As I approuch the north guys I decide that I could walk away now and feel really good about the morning so I make their location my turn around point, it's been close to 4 hours and I needed to pee....:ROFL:
Just as I begin my return again in deep water.......BAM! hard and again.....headshake!
"No way, another one" Wayyyyy more fight in this one, El BEndo BIG time. All I could think was "yeah, PB....make it a 30" please". Taking more to land it but enjoying the day soo damn much at this point. I get a white flash just as I get it to the beach and the guy near me "yeah, a halibut":
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/SunsetBeach090511e.jpg
Measured out at a little over 20". There was a family on the beach and the little girl came over with dad and took a quick pic with it. As I was getting it back to the water I could hear her say "daddy, I wanna learn how to fish, can we do that daddy?" :Fishing Catch:

Not wanting to be greety I kept with my plan and started my return but not stopping my assult, got back south uneventful. Made my way accross the sand back to the Jeep smiling the whole damn way........."thank you, thank you very much!"

I've got one more day left to conclude this adventure and then back to ...dare I say it? Work!

Tights lines everyone, 'til next time, thanks for listening.......:Big Grin:

PONTOON
09-05-2011, 04:37 PM
NT,

Well okay, I've just about had enough of your vacation madness on the surf and afield!:LOL:

I guess I made the wrong decision this morning.....I woke up at the regular go to work time and thought to myself.....What the heck, I'm going down to the beach. went out to the garage gathered up my gear and just as I was putting on my waders I see the lightning and then rain. I thought about it a while and decided it just ain't gonna happen today so I put the gear away and crawled back in the rack to dream about that legal halibut.:Rolls Eyes:

Now I hear you were persistent enough to give it a shot and it payed off with a very respectable day.:Cool:

Great job NT!

I'll see ya on the water.....

trollmiester
09-05-2011, 05:31 PM
man you are a fishing machine.keep up the good work buddy.

Indo-angler
09-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Hey John.
Sorry I had not seen this thread! Great reporting, I see the learning curve rising steeply!

It's about learning every time you go out and lots of time on the water. You're bound to get some nice fish.

It was good to meet you out there!

Nipple Twister
09-06-2011, 04:37 PM
PONTOON
NT,

Well okay, I've just about had enough of your vacation madness on the surf and afield!

I guess I made the wrong decision this morning.....I woke up at the regular go to work time and thought to myself.....What the heck, I'm going down to the beach. went out to the garage gathered up my gear and just as I was putting on my waders I see the lightning and then rain. I thought about it a while and decided it just ain't gonna happen today so I put the gear away and crawled back in the rack to dream about that legal halibut.

Now I hear you were persistent enough to give it a shot and it payed off with a very respectable day.

Great job NT!

I'll see ya on the water.....

Well the vacation madness is closing fast with reality following directly, but it is still daylight and the wind is just a slight breeze, could get a few more hours in.....ya never now where that next legal might me waiting! Hmm, see how I feel when I finish typing.
Yeah, I was kinda expecting to see you down there but no worries, plenty of days on the water still to come......see ya at the grindstone tomorrow.
...and hey, btw, thanks for keeping tabs and commenting .....:Thumbs Up:

trollmiester
man you are a fishing machine.keep up the good work buddy.

HEY TROLLY! we gotta hit the water again soon man, too damn much fun.......thx for the encouragement........although kinda lends itself being only blocks away from one of the best So Cal spots in OC! :Fishing Hole:

Indo-angler
Hey John.
Sorry I had not seen this thread! Great reporting, I see the learning curve rising steeply!

It's about learning every time you go out and lots of time on the water. You're bound to get some nice fish.

It was good to meet you out there!

Thanks for the comment, was very cool to meet you out there and realizing it's such a small world. How'd the rest of your morning go? Ifin ya think ya want some company on your next venture to OC lemme know and we'll meet..........:Beer Toast:

Nipple Twister
09-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Well as they say, all good things must end.......well, postpone for a while anyway.
I wanna thank everyone for following my reports, I had a great vacation and got to meet some great folks out hitting the surf. :Group Hug:
Today I played it safe and hit my local A.O. once more before having to call it done. Clear skys, clear water, minimum surf and NOBODY on the beach when I arrived. Began my usual attack from south to north, only different condition was outgoing tide had just started so it would be a early morning. In attendance was the usual suspects, LC Flash Minnow Metallic Sardine, Luna, Shimano Crucial and me!
As much as I would enjoy typing out a wonderful story of some great catches it just wasn't meant to be, got a few bumps but that was it....last day big :Skunk:!
As I reached my turn around point I ran into a fellow FNNer and had a great chat with him and shared some fishin stories.

So once again, thanks for sharing.......tight lines everyone, thx for listening and 'til next time......SEE YA! :Dancing Banana:

DockRat
09-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Great report and pics.
I love the 15 lb Spiderwire Braid which has the same diameter as 4 lb mono
on my spinning real. Cast farther, no more line twists. Used to change my mono once a month when fishing a lot.
Also better for rubbing up on rocks, it may get frayed but less lost lures.
The price of the braid is about the same as one LC, after losing 3 LCs with mono the switch has saved money.
A loose drag and soft rod helps hooks from pulling.
DR

Indo-angler
09-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the comment, was very cool to meet you out there and realizing it's such a small world. How'd the rest of your morning go? Ifin ya think ya want some company on your next venture to OC lemme know and we'll meet..........:Beer Toast:[/QUOTE]

Three shorts and one bsp, all on the hard baits. (I think it looked like red tide coming in when I was leaving before ten.)

Yep, hope to see you out there some time, but a soon as it cools a bit inland I will be back at the Jewel-DVL!

Chasing and catching legal 'buts is cool though!

Wingnut
09-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Quite a fun and productive vacation NT... thanks for sharing it with us. :Cool:

blackwater
09-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Hell yeah, that's a great vacation! :Envious:
Gonna be hard to come back to work, lol

Nipple Twister
09-15-2011, 01:30 PM
....need the bucks.....for more LC's! ...:LOL:

DockRat
Great report and pics.
I love the 15 lb Spiderwire Braid which has the same diameter as 4 lb mono
on my spinning real. Cast farther, no more line twists. Used to change my mono once a month when fishing a lot.
Also better for rubbing up on rocks, it may get frayed but less lost lures.
The price of the braid is about the same as one LC, after losing 3 LCs with mono the switch has saved money.
A loose drag and soft rod helps hooks from pulling.
DR

Thx DR. I'm still on the fence with the braid......like the fact that it's stronger for less amount but I am also new to this as far as comparing to mono due to lack of data of my own so time will tell. With all the great input from you and all the other fine folks here has helped a lot.

Three shorts and one bsp, all on the hard baits. (I think it looked like red tide coming in when I was leaving before ten.)

Yep, hope to see you out there some time, but a soon as it cools a bit inland I will be back at the Jewel-DVL!

Chasing and catching legal 'buts is cool though!

Nicely done Indo....well if I don't see ya on the beach good luck at the Jewel!

Wingnut
Quite a fun and productive vacation NT... thanks for sharing it with us.

Wingnut, as always thanks for your comments. Yup, was a great vacation and really enjoyed sharing it....tight lines :Wink:

blackwater
Hell yeah, that's a great vacation!
Gonna be hard to come back to work, lol

Thx Blackwater, was the best I can remember in a L O N G time.....work was tough getting back too but I work with some really good people so not so bad........:Smile:

murrieta angler
09-16-2011, 08:51 AM
NT,
I just finished reading the whole report and enjoyed it very much!
You got some fish to play and some fish that did;nt.
That's the way it goes, but as long as you are learning, during those skunks, it will pay off in the future.
Thanks for the report and pictures,
Robert
<><