PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Lake - Limit Plus One

Cartman
08-26-2011, 09:30 AM
My wife and I went to Jackson Lake for a picnic yesterday. Looks like we picked the right day for it. While Pasadena was baking in the sun it was cool and breezy in the mountains. I hadn't really been very serious about catching anything. My wife was painting or playing her banjo, and the picnic and relaxing was plenty for me. I experimented with a new bait I had picked up at my local tackle shop (Johnny's Sports in Pasadena), Berkley Gulp Pinched Nightcrawlers. There weren't any reviews at BPS when I looked, so I was sorta going blind with a new bait. I had the natural color ones. Of course they smell like Gulp, but they are also have a very strong garlic smell. They float. Anyway, I caught four fish on those things and nothing on powerbait, even powerbait smeared with garlic jelly. I was really surprised. Someone who had gone over his limit gave me one of his to make my limit of five. Oh yeah, besides the fish I managed to haul in the equivalent of an old boot. Some poor tuber must have perished on the lake swimming in circles with just one flipper.

billy b
08-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Love Johnny's Sports and always hit them up when I come down for football games.

Somebody did a post on the pinched which, or course, caused me to buy 2 more jars of something.

Haven't tried them yet. How did you rig up?

BALLERONBUDGET
08-26-2011, 10:40 AM
i agree . best mom n pop all around tackle shop right near Rose Bowl. full family staffed everything u can imagine . a local spot located in the "hood" and surviving for as long as i can remember +20 or more yrs... by the way cartman how long drive to jackson from crown of the valley Pasadena???????

Cartman
08-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Love Johnny's Sports and always hit them up when I come down for football games.

Somebody did a post on the pinched which, or course, caused me to buy 2 more jars of something.

Haven't tried them yet. How did you rig up?

I didn't feel very confident about how I rigged them. They're kinda big and fat. Though they are no bigger than a regular crawler I would use for trout, they are stiffer. I just used a regular hook I would use for trout. Dunno exactly what size, but I guess a six or eight mustag wire hook. It looked kinda funny on that small hook, but it worked really great. The last one I caught as soon as I threw it in.

ordane
08-26-2011, 11:21 AM
So, from Pasadena do you take the 2 up?? That road is freaky!! I got stuck up there one night with the fam after hitting a rock.. the thing took out the tranny pan and we got to spend the night looking at the Lancaster lights. I think that part of the 2 is called Dawson's Saddle.

...Anyway, I dig Jackson. It's small but very relaxing!

Cartman
08-26-2011, 11:27 AM
i agree . best mom n pop all around tackle shop right near Rose Bowl. full family staffed everything u can imagine . a local spot located in the "hood" and surviving for as long as i can remember +20 or more yrs... by the way cartman how long drive to jackson from crown of the valley Pasadena???????

Yeah, the guys at Johnny's got me started fishing about three years ago, and they've always been helpful with advice on tackle. They have a lot more stuff than it looks like, and their prices are not much different than a BPS and you don't have to pay shipping charges or drive to Cucamonga.

Jackson Lake is about an hour and a half from Pasadena. Most of it is on the 210E, and the last leg is very scenic.

Cartman
08-26-2011, 11:32 AM
So, from Pasadena do you take the 2 up?? That road is freaky!! I got stuck up there one night with the fam after hitting a rock.. the thing took out the tranny pan and we got to spend the night looking at the Lancaster lights. I think that part of the 2 is called Dawson's Saddle.

...Anyway, I dig Jackson. It's small but very relaxing!

We take the 210E to the 15N and then the 138 through Wrightwood. There is a really nice campground directly across the street from the lake. You can make reservations online.

ordane
08-26-2011, 01:18 PM
We take the 210E to the 15N and then the 138 through Wrightwood. There is a really nice campground directly across the street from the lake. You can make reservations online.

I live in Riverside so the 15 to the 138 is our route also. It's about 40 minutes from my house. I kinda thought that campground was for church groups tho, I should look into that. Thanks Cartman

I will probably be out your way on Sunday, whats good to fish out in the SGV?

Cartman
08-26-2011, 01:31 PM
I live in Riverside so the 15 to the 138 is our route also. It's about 40 minutes from my house. I kinda thought that campground was for church groups tho, I should look into that. Thanks Cartman

Puddingstone, Santa Fe Dam, Whittier Narrows are the three closest to me. Am I missing any?

ordane
08-26-2011, 01:48 PM
I know Whittier Narrows, so I may have to check out Santa Fe Dam. Thats by the 605 right?

Cartman
08-26-2011, 05:40 PM
I know Whittier Narrows, so I may have to check out Santa Fe Dam. Thats by the 605 right?

It IS off the 605, but I would rather go to Puddingstone, especially since you're coming from the East anyway. Puddingstone is much bigger and has more fish.

Cartman
08-26-2011, 05:44 PM

There ARE an inordinate number of church camps around there, but the one across the lake, Mountain Oak. You can get reservations through Reserve America, but when we were there Thursday there were plenty of sites available. BTW, it's a hell of a lot cooler up there than it is down here.