PDA

View Full Version : 8/24 PB LMB Day

boxl0bster
08-26-2011, 03:20 AM
my gf and i decided to rent a boat at DVL on 1/2 price wednesdays and try our hand at those stripers i've been reading so much about lately. this is only our 2nd time at DVL and our 1st time fishing it from a boat. got to the lake at 615 and had to wait close to 30 mins to get in. got the basic rental boat and we were out on the water by 715.

we couldnt get on the stripers even though they were boiling all around us for a good 30 mins but we could never get close enough to toss a lure at them. decided to soak bait for the stripers and catfish but ended up with nothing, not even a nibble. finally gave up on that after 3 hours. we've never fished for LMB before, so we decided to give that a try. I tied on a 6inch robo in morning dawn for both our rods and went to work dropshotting. later on in the afternoon we switched to 4.5inch aarons magic and got lots of bites on that bait too but never got one to stick.

we ended the day with 5 lmb, 3 cookie cutter dinks at about 1lb or so each, 1 at 2lb or so my PB and our last fish of the day my girlfriend's was the biggest. i'm not even going to guess its weight. i've seen what happens when people say their fish is such and such weight. :Razz: can someone tell me why that bass is so thin? i'm assuming its lost weight because of spawning right? if thats the case how much heavier would she have been? the two larger fish were caught with the same MD robos drop shotted but wacky rigged. all but 2 of the bass bit right on the drop, had lots of bites and nibbles. we fished the east dam, and the coves/points on the south end of the lake. all fish were cpr'd.

all in all it was a great day of bass fishing even though we only caught 5 lmb, i didnt expect to catch any at all haha and we both got our PBs! :Cool: the biggest fish of the day was caught by my gf, why does that always happen? haha.

anyone have any tips for soaking bait for the stripers and or catfish? i was using a c-rig 1/2oz sliding sinker and 18in leader w/anchovies. i know the striper tournament is coming up so i dont expect any striper tips prior to that event haha but any tip is greatly appreciated.

thanks for reading, i think im now hooked on lmb fishing. :Envious:

tacklejunkie
08-26-2011, 03:51 AM
Way to go Ernie! Those stripey are a pain in the butt sometimes. Glad to see you made the best of it!

smokehound
08-26-2011, 03:57 AM
For the stripers, under a slip bobber, with no weight. OR just flyline the bait, let it slowly sink.

For the kitties, use a high/low rig with a short leader, so the bait hangs about 2-3 inches off the bottom. (like those surf/pier rigs you can get from walmart)

OH YEAH, Nice feesh! Id say hers is about 4 lbs. Probably 3 and a half. Looks emaciated.

HawgStalker
08-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Well done! Congrats on the PB!

troutdog
08-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Nice job Ernie, hope you and your gf are well buddy!

TD

kaiyasdad
08-26-2011, 09:39 AM
what area did you see the boils?

boxl0bster
08-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Way to go Ernie! Those stripey are a pain in the butt sometimes. Glad to see you made the best of it!

thanks casey! yah im glad the lmb were more willing to bite! i will get those stripers one day haha

For the stripers, under a slip bobber, with no weight. OR just flyline the bait, let it slowly sink.

For the kitties, use a high/low rig with a short leader, so the bait hangs about 2-3 inches off the bottom. (like those surf/pier rigs you can get from walmart)

OH YEAH, Nice feesh! Id say hers is about 4 lbs. Probably 3 and a half. Looks emaciated.

thanks for all the tips smokehound! i'll definately try them out. :Cool:

Well done! Congrats on the PB!

thanks hawgstalker! i need to get me another pb, hopefully one thats bigger than my gf's :Razz:

Nice job Ernie, hope you and your gf are well buddy!

TD

thanks aaron we're doing great! hope all is good with you too. :Cool: