PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Fishing

keada714
08-26-2011, 02:54 AM
hey guys,

I would love to start getting into some freshwater fishing, since I have been fishing salt all my life.. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction with what lures you guys usually use. Would love to target big mount bass and... I really don't know what else is out there but would love to start developing the skills needed to catch other species out in the lakes. Also can anyone suggest a good local lake to fish at. I'm located in the sgv area and wouldn't mind driving 10-15 miles to do some fishing with the lady! Thanks and looking forward to be pointed in the right direction!!

Mark

Anthony I.
08-26-2011, 05:12 AM
Hey mark

First, it's large mouth bass... And they're not easy to catch. Takes tons of finess, technique, presentation, and proper equipment skills that I haven't even come close to mastering. I unfortunately do not get to fish for bass as often as I would like, so I focus more on trout. Trout and catfish are the main freshwater species that get stocked in many of the socal lakes. With that said, there are some really great bass lakes around your area... But the jewel of bass fishing is mostly DVL, castaic, perris, skinner, pyramid, and a few others around the area.

I know I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the vastness of bass fishing... Mainly because I am also learning... But just wanted to give you a general idea of freshwater fishing and things too consider. Good luck!

P.A.W.
08-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Google "dropshot", "senko", and "roboworm". That'll get you started down the right path towards ol' bucketmouth.

Shaman
08-26-2011, 06:56 AM
I've been going up to Azusa Canyons in the Angeles Forest for some close by freshwater fishing. Not a big fan of super close lakes such as, Santa fe Dam, Peck Park, Legg Lake but thats just me. There has been quite a bit of water in the reservoirs and streams this year up in the canyons.

The first reservoir is Morris Dam and it's illegal to fish. Im not %100 on the next reservoir which is the San Gabriel Reservoir, but it connects to the East Fork River which is legal. There is also the West Fork stream which is barbless hook and catch and release only once you go in 3 miles.

I've caught very small wild trout this year in the streams and have seen fairly decent bass and carp get pulled from the San Gabriel Reservoir. Unfortunately the last time I went up there my truck window got smashed by some low life's. It wont deter me from going up there, although I will be more cautious.

Kelster
08-26-2011, 07:12 AM
I grew up in El Monte in the seventies, across Peck road from the Peck Road Water Conservation Park. Used to fish there for stocked trout, LMB, BG, catfish, and crappie.No bums were there then, Sante Fe Dam, Puddingstone, and Legg Lake are close. An earlier post said that they would be stocking Crystal Lake again, used to be a good place before the fire. Crappie jigs, Cast Masters, and my favorite Super Dupers for trout, BG, and crappie. Or just a red worm under a bobber. As P.A.W. said those are great for LMB. Grab a pole wet a line and use the skills that you have from SW and you will have fun.

white belt
08-26-2011, 07:21 AM
I just started using artificial lures and have had pretty good luck with this one:
http://www.critterssports.com/Portals/CrittersSports_Store/images/rapala/CDRainbowTrout.jpg
caught a blue gill, catfish and a dinky bass with it.

tunagod1
08-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Go to you tube and search under Mike folkstad drop shotting video, Mike has a 4 part mini series on dropshotting. Mike covers everything from rod and reel, line, setup, plastics, size color, presentation. excellent video series for the newbee.

Tuna out

Coefficient13
08-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Plastics is where to start at, like P.A.W. said. Though I'd add the Carolina rig is effective and easy enough to learn.

Weedless affects presentation, not just annoyance, so learning how to hook them is important. Big difference from most ocean fishing.

A scent of some sort makes them hold on long enough to hook. Think A scent, not THE scent, just something so they don't taste plastic.

Number of casts and amount of time with bait in proper presentation should trump everything as you start out. Different retrieves rather than a different bait.

I'm at work, probably a little ramble, sorry. But you are welcome to some basic stuff if you're ever headed where I am. I am back on freshwater and usually post when I'm headed out (Castaic mainly)

keada714
09-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I greatly appreciated everyone comment and did put it to the test a few times at legg lake. The only rigged that I used was drop shot since I had most of the supplies for it since I always fish drop shot in the salt. My rig consisted of using roboworms with a 1/4 ds weight, #1 hook, on a 7-15in leader. Ive used the same techniques as I would if I was fishing for halibuts. Not only did I get skunked three times but I did not get any bites!! Must be something i'm not doing right. I dont plan to stop until I get a hang of his thing though.

reservoir dog
09-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Start off with a dropshot using plastics like senkos and roboworms while workin it slow so be patient. Then you can work your way into a Carolina or Texas rig. Also try using a variety of crankbaits. Since you're used to fishing saltwater, just don't go overboard with shark hooks and 80lb test. Oh and leave the saltwater rods at home too.