PDA

View Full Version : Great white shark caught off Huntington Beach Pier could land angler a misdemeanor

Stephen
08-25-2011, 12:01 PM
"HUNTINGTON BEACH - State Fish and Game agents today were investigating if a fisherman who caught a baby great white shark off the Huntington Beach Pier should be prosecuted.
The roughly 5-foot shark was caught on Monday -- the video can be seen at http://youtu.be/1wNP-oztkpk -- and fish and game agents took custody of the carcass, according to fish and game Capt. Dan Sforza.

"We have the shark and we've identified who caught the shark," he told Pete Thomas, who runs petethomasoutdoors.com, an outdoors website. "We are investigating and nobody is going to get away with anything."

Great white sharks, top-feeders in the marine world, have been protected under California law since 1994. Catching them is a misdemeanor. The name of the fisherman who caught the shark has not been made public.

Fish and game investigators will have to decide if the fish was "unlawfully" caught. It was unclear if the fisherman who caught the fish knew it was a great white. One of the group around the pole can be heard calling it a mako."

Full article here, at the LA Daily News:

Great white shark caught off Huntington Beach Pier could land angler a misdemeanor
(http://www.dailynews.com/ci_18754307)

Youtube video here:

MAKO OR WHITE SHARK IN HUNTINGTON BEACH PIER????
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wNP_oztkpk)

catfishhunter
08-25-2011, 09:08 PM
dumb people man

delmar
08-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Kinda hard to tell, but it looks like a great white to me....

jpod
08-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Kinda hard to tell, but it looks like a great white to me....

of course its a great white thos people definetly need to be prosecuted

riverside_angler
08-26-2011, 04:00 PM
i can't believe this is a fishing site and people can't identify the most notorious fish in our waters. People are F'ing stupid!

Shaman
08-26-2011, 04:21 PM
i can't believe this is a fishing site and people can't identify the most notorious fish in our waters. People are F'ing stupid!

Jee wiz the emotion is getting the best of some of you. Just because someone said it's hard to tell? It's not like great whites are everyday occurrences around these parts. Matter of fact it's not an annual occurrence. seeing one on tv is not the same as seeing one in real life. Matter of fact I'd like to know how many of you have seen a real great white. And a baby on top of that which are usually harder to identify. This site has more foul mouthed folks than the US Navy that are so quick to jump on everyone.

Whatever, I mean we all agree that those punks deserve the book thrown at 'em. All I am saying is the emotion has gotten the better of many of you. I myself was very emotional when I saw the footage, but it's time to clear the heads a bit.

a321eric
08-26-2011, 04:33 PM
This pisses me off man. They should require license to fish off of the piers. Every time I go people are break DFG regulations left and right. Ive seen people with way too many poles per person, keeping fish that are either too small (by regulation) or keeping fish that should be released, and snagging sand sharks with large treble hooks. People are just idiots. They need to be educated on the rules and regulation of the DFG before fishing. Argh...mkes me mad.

whopperstopper
08-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Pinche Mojados Guey

evosamurai
08-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Pinche Mojados Guey

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000

ZipperWurm
08-26-2011, 09:38 PM
This pisses me off man. They should require license to fish off of the piers. Every time I go people are break DFG regulations left and right. Ive seen people with way too many poles per person, keeping fish that are either too small (by regulation) or keeping fish that should be released, and snagging sand sharks with large treble hooks. People are just idiots. They need to be educated on the rules and regulation of the DFG before fishing. Argh...mkes me mad.

+1 i seriously believe that not only should piers require fishing licenses, but fishing licenses should require short exams so people have somewhat of an idea of what they can and can't do...

GotBass?
08-26-2011, 10:19 PM

As far as saltwater fishing you can fish with as many poles as you want. Second Rod stamps are only for freshwater. I have seen this brought up a few times, not just from you.

fishmounter
08-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Definitely a juvenile White Shark, they are seen in this area every once in a while. Don't know that the fisherman is as bad as all the "gaffers" with their grappling hooks. Baby shark didn't have a chance. Fine everyone involved as an example; when you fish, you've got to know the laws. Video was kind of hard to watch, dragging that shark all over the pier...

DockRat
08-27-2011, 07:29 AM
As far as saltwater fishing you can fish with as many poles as you want. Second Rod stamps are only for freshwater. I have seen this brought up a few times, not just from you.

The topic is not knowing DFG regs, like yourself GotBass. LOL

Q. How many rods can I actively use while fishing from a public pier?

A. You may use no more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs. Species-specific gear restrictions (such as for rockfish, lingcod and salmon) do apply when fishing from a pier.
DR

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/faq.asp

GotBass?
08-27-2011, 08:24 AM
The topic is not knowing DFG regs, like yourself GotBass. LOL

Q. How many rods can I actively use while fishing from a public pier?

A. You may use no more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs. Species-specific gear restrictions (such as for rockfish, lingcod and salmon) do apply when fishing from a pier.
DR

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/faq.asp

Read before you post dumbass this is directly from the link you shared. The only place you can only use TWO rods is on the pier. You can fish anywhere else with as many as you want. Unless its freshwater. We were stopped in MDR by 2 game warderns just outside chase park along the marina. One guy with us had 4 rods out, at the sight of the wardens he cut two lines. First thing the warden said when he walked up was he didnt have to cut those lines, you could fish as many rods as you wanted as long as you werent from a pier. And guess what??? You dont need a second rod stamp to fish from a pier because you dont even need a license to do so. The ignorance on this site doesnt amaze me anymore...

How many fishing rods and hooks can I use when sport fishing in the ocean?

A. Any number of hooks and fishing lines may be used in all ocean waters and bays with the following exceptions:
You can only use one line with no more than three hooks while fishing in San Francisco and San Pablo bays between the Golden Gate Bridge and the west Carquinez Bridge.

**When you are fishing from a public pier you can use only two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two crab nets, crab traps or other appliances used to take crabs.**

When you are fishing for rockfish or lingcod or you have rockfish or lingcod aboard your boat, you can only use one line with no more than two hooks.

If you are fishing north of Point Conception for salmon or have salmon on board your boat, you can only use one rod and line with no more than two single barbless hooks (check current salmon regulations for other hook restrictions).

DockRat
08-27-2011, 09:13 AM
:Smack:
Read before you post dumbass this is directly from the link you shared.

The ignorance on this site doesnt amaze me anymore...

Lol, FYI ;

THE THREAD IS ABOUT PIER FISHING.

Thread: Great white shark caught off Huntington Beach Pier
That stamp does not apply to Saltwater :Smack:
DR

30lber
08-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Jee wiz the emotion is getting the best of some of you. Just because someone said it's hard to tell? It's not like great whites are everyday occurrences around these parts. Matter of fact it's not an annual occurrence. seeing one on tv is not the same as seeing one in real life. Matter of fact I'd like to know how many of you have seen a real great white. And a baby on top of that which are usually harder to identify. This site has more foul mouthed folks than the US Navy that are so quick to jump on everyone.

Whatever, I mean we all agree that those punks deserve the book thrown at 'em. All I am saying is the emotion has gotten the better of many of you. I myself was very emotional when I saw the footage, but it's time to clear the heads a bit.

Your comment reminds me of a 6 day trip out in guadalupe island.
I was leaning on the bow on a long soak. The deck hand walked up to me and whisperd shhhh dont
say anything but theres a great white swimming in front of you.
I looked out in the water and couldnt see anything. At first i thought
this guy wwas pulling my chains. I kept looking and looking couldnt see anything.
I decided to take a break, grabbed a couple of beer and went to the upper deck to relax.
Within a second or two i saw a siloquet of and camoflaged coloe that blends evenly with the blue water moving. I still coulnt id what the fk it was. They are so perfectly blended with the waterthat i just kept staring at it.
Well long story short....there was 5 to 6 greats swimming around the boat averaging
between 16 to 20 feet long.
I took millions of pictures and when i had the pphotos developed the sharks werent on the photo.
Kinda like a ghost...ther there bit cant see um.
Anyway..thete was a few moment on the wayer when the sharks would roll over to there side and your able to see there white belly there length there black shiney stary eyes looking at you.
Thats how i managed to spot them.
Therr one of natures most beautiful creatures.
The funny part is all the fisherman fishing on the lower deck long soaking dines unable to see
the sharks swimming around the boat.
Lol. They were only feets from the anglers.lol

delmar
08-29-2011, 02:19 AM

Seriously, people have some issues on here......and My bad riverside angler, it's not my fault I never seen a baby great white.....! Haha