PDA

View Full Version : 8/24 First legal Butt

spdtrip
08-25-2011, 07:57 AM
It's been awhile since I was able to get on the sand so I decided today was the day and I was going to target the butts!

Hit the sand at about 7:30. Started throwing a swimbait for no love. Switched to a blam and after a few casts, first butt of the day. It was a feisty little 16" model. I was happy that mission was accomplished, but still unhappy that I have yet to have landed a legal butt in my fishing career.

I wasn't getting any bites, but a good sized corbina decided to come by and see what I was up to. He was no more than 3 ft away. I was wishing I had a spear gun! I had to try to see if he would take the plastic so I threw it in his direction. He would swim in the direction of the splash and then move on. So it was time to switch.

I decided to give the orbit jerkbait a try. Not having much luck, and not really knowing if I am using it correctly, I don't have much confidence in it. I know it works for many of the board members, but I have only hooked 1 yfc and 1 small hali last year. I throw it for maybe 10 min and decide to go back to plastics.

After a few casts with a 3" slug, 2nd hali. This one was a little smaller, but it was another butt. Quickly let it go and was back to casting. Again no love. So i remembered what my friends always tell me, "throw small baits, you are gonna catch small fish." So out came the 5" slug. 5 casts later, my rod gets heavy, but I don't feel anything fighting on the other end. I thought I had gotten stuck in some vegetation. I continue to reel in and I can feel a good amount of weight, but there were no headshakes or runs. About halfway in, it finally did a little headshake and I knew it was a good size fish. When I saw it, I immediately knew it was a legal!! I could not have been more excited and frightened at the same time. The last time I had a fish I thought was a legal, it came unbuttoned in the surf and swam around my feet to get away. This guy came in like he had no idea he was hooked. He just kinda floated in and only gave me headshakes the one time. I finally get him on the sand and he just laid there. He was big enough that I couldn't pull him out of the water on the line. He made a few moves to try to get back in the water, but not much. While he was sitting there passively on the sand as the surf receded, I try to get the lip gripper on him. That's when he freaks out and throws the hook out of his mouth! Wasting no time, I quickly booted him further up the sand just far enough that the surf wasn't going to reach him! Thank goodness!!!! Measured at 27". Photographed him and sent him home! My first legal and PB!
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h440/JKhao/Fishing/2011-08-24083701.jpg

murrieta angler
08-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Well let me be the first to congratulate you on your 1st & Personal Best halibut!!!
I am sure there will be more and look forward to the reports.
Robert
<><

n1ckxlam
08-25-2011, 08:23 AM
well done!!

nick

CaliButts
08-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Nice one!! Congrats on your PB!!:Cool:

Karyn
08-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Yeah! Great job! Congrats...