PDA

View Full Version : Santa Monica Pier at night

ZipperWurm
08-24-2011, 12:08 AM
so the past two weekends i decided to take a drive down to the pier to get out of the A.V. (antelope valley). i'm a night owl so a pier that's open 24 hours appeals to me, lol. using a double dropper loop setup with a mixture of cut chovies and squid, i managed to land quite a few thornback rays (i think that's what they are) on both outings. the people next to me last night were catching a lot of lobsters, not sure how they were doing it though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/whitedevilTA/photo-30.jpg

the rays are fun to catch, but i'm already kinda bored of them, lol. i'd really like a bit more variety to my catch (a fatty leopard shark or halibut would complete me). what else can be caught out there at night? and any tips would be helpful? i tried throwing a big hammer swimbait for awhile too....with no love :Sad:

FishinLBC
08-24-2011, 05:51 PM
anything will bite at night really just get ur baits off the ground to avoid rays

5150fishn
08-24-2011, 09:36 PM
I fish Newport and Balboa piers at night to chill out and most of the Leopards I catch are in the surf shallows on squid. Don't know how deep you are fishing on the pier but try the shallows. Many perch and YFC and the occasional corbina I have caught in the shallows using sand crabs, mussels, or gulp grubs.

ZipperWurm
08-24-2011, 10:30 PM
I fish Newport and Balboa piers at night to chill out and most of the Leopards I catch are in the surf shallows on squid. Don't know how deep you are fishing on the pier but try the shallows. Many perch and YFC and the occasional corbina I have caught in the shallows using sand crabs, mussels, or gulp grubs.

Hmmm I might have to give that a shot. How late are those piers open for fishing?

5150fishn
08-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Hmmm I might have to give that a shot. How late are those piers open for fishing?
Unfortunatley they are only open until midnight. I usually stick it out until the cops show up to boot us off which is unpredictable. Sometimes they are waiting to shut the gate at 11:50, other times it is 2:00 a.m. It just depends on how busy they are.