PDA

View Full Version : H.B. Pier Great White?

Hooked Up
08-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Has anyone seen the pics or the video on youtube of the shark caught off the H.B. pier Monday 8/22/11? :Shocked: Supposedly a Mako (that's what the angler's called it)?:Rolls Eyes: But look's like a juvenile GW?:EyePop:

camperjay
08-23-2011, 08:19 PM
just watched it, it's sad.

GotBass?
08-23-2011, 08:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wNP_oztkpk

bass413
08-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Yup, Great White for sure....

oakboy
08-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Not sure but could be a salmon shark. Eyes are pretty far up on the head.

<><
KP

Hooked Up
08-23-2011, 09:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wNP_oztkpk
Thanks for the video GotBass_ If I could figure out how to put up the pics with the Warden in one of the pics next to the shark I would.

evosamurai
08-23-2011, 10:14 PM
****** dumb asses

sshernandez
08-23-2011, 10:49 PM
It don't surprise me cuz I see them guys at newport when I go for some cat food snagging anything and everything they can.. people like them make us Mexicans look bad and for that I say SORRY guys don't think we are all like that ..

casting call
08-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Sure looks like a Great White to me. Pretty sad, Im sure they have no clue nor care about regulations. With all the ppl on that pier on any given day, they still gaff that shark. Either they are idiots, or dont know the law... probably both though.

jerr-dog
08-24-2011, 12:00 AM
Yhea just cause you don't need a license to fish from the pier doesn't exempt you from the laws. You are still responsible to know the rules & regs. Did you see the size of those treble hooks? Man & they kept saying gaff they snagged the thing once it was on the line. Yhea that was no mako. What a bunch of idiots. thats too bad. Can't keep Great White either just how many violations did they commit?

reservoir dog
08-24-2011, 10:23 AM
That video was sad and upsetting. The idiots should of let it go rather than dragging it on the floor while it bleeds to death. I hope any officials see this video and and prosecute them!

Hooked Up
08-24-2011, 11:44 AM
That video was sad and upsetting. The idiots should of let it go rather than dragging it on the floor while it bleeds to death. I hope any officials see this video and and prosecute them!

There are 3 pics_(dare I say it) on bloodydecks.com_one of the pics has a Warden in it with the shark! :Shocked: Maybe someone else smarter than myself can figure out how to post on this site? I tried and failed!:Embarrassed: Any help appreciated.:Smile:

30lber
08-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Here ya go.

Ooops uploud fail... Wtf.

sweetfish
08-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Let's try this.

Fysher
08-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Guess it wasn't a GW since the Game Warden took a picture with him. Or unless, snapped a picture with the angler and then busted him (hopefully) right after the photo (evidence)

Either way, that thing is a baby. Should have just cut the line.

white belt
08-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Some humans are so pathetic. "YEAH LETS TAKE A PIC AND POST IT ON FB!! WE'RE SO COOL WE CAUGHT A SHARK DURF DURF DURF!!"

BASSMAN418
08-24-2011, 12:54 PM
I don't get why ppl are getting so mad......But it's cool when a shark kills a surfer no big deal.....But someone kills a shark OMG!!! who cares!!

white belt
08-24-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't get why ppl are getting so mad......But it's cool when a shark kills a surfer no big deal.....But someone kills a shark OMG!!! who cares!!

Wow that's a great attitude to have towards nature for someone whose a fisherman....
Did you ever think we're infringing on their space? This great white could have grown to be majestic creature. These douchebags that caught it are a dime a dozen. Not to mention, arent great whites endangered?? I'm new here and my be talking out of place, but you're freakin' LAME bassman.

30lber
08-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Im finding more stuff happening at huntington pier.
This really sucks man.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fw atch%3Fv%3DywfakggmyYI&v=ywfakggmyYI&gl=US

Blackwhitemax
08-24-2011, 01:15 PM
that's a baby white shark to me too. Baby kilers :(

BASSMAN418
08-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks I am lame!!!! those sharks don't do nothing for me so oh well.....It's a fish....People kill dear and all other kinds of animals all the time....There are plenty of sharks out there one isn't going to hurt..
Wow that's a great attitude to have towards nature for someone whose a fisherman....
Did you ever think we're infringing on their space? This great white could have grown to be majestic creature. These douchebags that caught it are a dime a dozen. Not to mention, arent great whites endangered?? I'm new here and my be talking out of place, but you're freakin' LAME bassman.

white belt
08-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks I am lame!!!! those sharks don't do nothing for me so oh well.....It's a fish....People kill dear and all other kinds of animals all the time....There are plenty of sharks out there one isn't going to hurt..

Let me guess.... you fish without a license? If you do buy a license, then you just have no clue where your money is going. Not only are you lame, but you're also kind of dumb and ignorant. You think a great white shark is the same as a lemon shark, mako, tiger? Lets kill polar bears then because they don't do anything for you and we still have plenty of black bears right? HAHA wow your stupidity is amazing.

And when was the last time WHITE TAIL DEER was listed as an endangered species?? Limits are set to properly manage the population. Responsible hunters take only what they need, and only what is permitted. Stupid f*cking poachers like these guys, and probably yourself, take whatever you can because you feel you're entitled. Guess what jackasses? You didn't do **** on this earth to be entitled to ANYTHING YOU WANT.

30lber
08-24-2011, 02:11 PM
He doesnt care.
He catches l.m.b. And lands them on hot concrete deck.
Simply frying the poor bastard.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/album.php?albumid=583&attachmentid=29049

5150fishn
08-24-2011, 02:12 PM
According to a report that just popped up online by the OC Register the DFG is investigating this incident. Ignorence is not a excuse for breaking the law. There are many laws out there that you may not agree with but the law is the law and if you break them then expect the consequences.

Hooked Up
08-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Let's try this.
Thanks for the help sweetfish! :)

white belt
08-24-2011, 02:23 PM
He doesnt care.
He catches l.m.b. And lands them on hot concrete deck.
Simply frying the poor bastard.
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/album.php?albumid=583&attachmentid=29049

SMH... this ignorant turd has kids? Great.... say hello to the next generation of poachers.

reservoir dog
08-24-2011, 02:37 PM

Shark or no shark...so killing babies are cool...and you're ok with that right Bassman??? Wouldn't be surprised if that were you in the video.

reservoir dog
08-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Let me guess.... you fish without a license? If you do buy a license, then you just have no clue where your money is going. Not only are you lame, but you're also kind of dumb and ignorant. You think a great white shark is the same as a lemon shark, mako, tiger? Lets kill polar bears then because they don't do anything for you and we still have plenty of black bears right? HAHA wow your stupidity is amazing.

And when was the last time WHITE TAIL DEER was listed as an endangered species?? Limits are set to properly manage the population. Responsible hunters take only what they need, and only what is permitted. Stupid f*cking poachers like these guys, and probably yourself, take whatever you can because you feel you're entitled. Guess what jackasses? You didn't do **** on this earth to be entitled to ANYTHING YOU WANT.

Don't forget he also clubs baby seals too...

white belt
08-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Don't forget he also clubs baby seals too...

Who cares? We still have walruses right?? HEY-OOOO!

Hooked Up
08-24-2011, 02:46 PM

#1 Who said it's cool that a shark kills a surfer? #2 It is illegal to kill a GW! So I guess poaching is ok? #3 There is now a 3 year study by the (BRTF) going on to possibly close Pier fishing? #4 A fishing license is not required to fish off a pier and Many, Many anglers who fish off the pier do not bide by the set fishing regulations! I have seen this myself! I am all for anyone to keep any fish they catch LEGALLY! Ignorance of the laws are not an excuse! If in doubt, let it go! Or hopefully get caught! YES!!!! Boy does the DFG have it's work cut out for it! Seems poachers are everywhere! :(

jerr-dog
08-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Yhea they CERTAINLY have there work cut out for them. they could prob make there quota in a day just patrolling the piers all day. I have seen people take baby lobsters out of season have 4 or 5 poles when you are allowed 2 & can go on & on & on. Makes me not want to set foot on a pier ever again. I don't go to fish I just check out all the poachers & wish they would ALL get caught.

Hooked Up
08-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks again to Gotbass? for helping post video on page 1 and to Sweetfish for posting the pics on page 2! :)

HawgStalker
08-24-2011, 05:46 PM
Its a mako for sure, just look at the teeth in the first pic. Either way its a damn shame! I bet you they cut the jaws out and threw the rest of the fish away! I truly cant stand stupid F*****G people... YOU included BM! Your comments give bass anglers a bad image!

headcase881
08-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Did any one notice that the shark with the dfg is different??????????????????????????????????

HawgStalker
08-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Did any one notice that the shark with the dfg is different??????????????????????????????????

headcase881 you're absolutely rite bro!!!! My dumbass didn't finish watching the video! The shark in the vid is clearly a white and the one in the first pic is a mako! But that does'nt change my feelings... I really hope these aholes get busted!!!

smokehound
08-24-2011, 09:32 PM
I don't get why ppl are getting so mad......But it's cool when a shark kills a surfer no big deal.....But someone kills a shark OMG!!! who cares!! Depends on the kind of surfer. If its one of those douchebags that clip your line with your teeth, then hell yeah, go shark! '' Its not so much that its a shark, its the fact that these peta pricks will use this as an example and further demonize us responsible anglers, and a lack of respect for the ocean's life makes it even worse!

oakboy
08-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Looks like these guys might be getting time. Just saw it on KTLA news this morning. Definitely a GW, and the DFG is investigating these guys.

<><
KP

HawgStalker
08-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Ditto! I just saw it on ch. 7 ABC news...

white belt
08-25-2011, 07:16 AM
NICE!! I hope it's more than a fine and probation.

How awesome the story is everywhere now.

HawgStalker
08-25-2011, 08:03 AM
NICE!! I hope it's more than a fine and probation.

How awesome the story is everywhere now.

Totally... I hope these guys are soiling themselves!

reservoir dog
08-25-2011, 08:33 AM
GREAT NEWS! Hopefully the DFG will start tracking down more poachers. Since our state is broke why not make these morons pay right?

ToonaTangler
08-25-2011, 08:53 AM
I hope they DIE!

30lber
08-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Should have read his comments on you tube.
His story changes... Guilty as ***!!!
He says he gaffed it out the water to save the surfers.
Lame!!

candyman
08-25-2011, 10:39 AM
from what the news said this morning it sounds like they are in big trouble

reservoir dog
08-25-2011, 12:12 PM
The latest...

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_18754307?source=most_viewed

BASSMAN418
08-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Like I said idiot they don't anything for me bottomline and I have a right to my own opinion....that is why this is a forum not where everybody thinks the same way dumb@ss.

white belt
08-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Like I said idiot they don't anything for me bottomline and I have a right to my own opinion....that is why this is a forum not where everybody thinks the same way dumb@ss.

Sure you can have an opinion and you're entitled to one. HOWEVER, when it's a stupid opinion that supports illegal poaching of protected species, I'll call you out on it.

Like I said, with that attitude, you probably poach yourself. We seen the pics of you and your bass so.......

Can someone help me educate this fool? He posts on a site that pushes for responsible fishing and yet he acts like this should be completely OK. Ignorant poachers...

HawgStalker
08-25-2011, 03:11 PM
white belt... some people just dont get it bro! Probably just best to let it go... THANK GOD most people dont share that point of view!!

reservoir dog
08-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Yes this is a forum and we practice freedom of speech. But if you know it's something that'll offend others...somethings are better left unsaid...especially when you're on a site with anglers that take the sport very seriously.

Can't we all just get along...

HawgStalker
08-25-2011, 03:22 PM
LOL... thats funny right there I dont care who you are!

vanillagurilla
08-25-2011, 03:23 PM
i posted a comment on the video and someone said im the igorant one and its only a stupid fish... lmao only a stupid protected, endagered species that a bunch of morons dont know the difference between a great white and a mako, how can you not know what a greatwhite looks like?! seriously!

white belt
08-25-2011, 03:24 PM
white belt... some people just dont get it bro! Probably just best to let it go... THANK GOD most people dont share that point of view!!

Yeah you're right. If he grew up without a respect for nature then there's no way I, some random guy online, is going to change his mind. Dudes like him and the poachers in the video just get on my last nerve.

HawgStalker
08-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Yeah you're right. If he grew up without a respect for nature then there's no way I, some random guy online, is going to change his mind. Dudes like him and the poachers in the video just get on my last nerve.

Mine too bro... they're hopeless!

5150fishn
08-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Hopefully they make an example of these poachers and it gets enough publicity to get the attention of other poachers.

headcase881
08-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Its hit the news i think i herd something of prosecuting these bastards when they find them

Shaman
08-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Man, I consider HB pier my regular spot and I have fished there so much over the years. I've never seen a great white and hope to never hook one. I've caught nice leopards and my buddy has landed threshers. I've never seen the guys on the video there before either.

Im surprised none of the regulars said anything to them. Most people are excited to see me catch fish and sharks, but there's always a handful of people that lecture me for fishing because they feel it's horrible.

I couldn't believe all the gaff's flying around. These guys deserve to be made examples of, too bad it will probably do nothing as far as educating the public(poachers).

Jeremy Wade Jr
08-25-2011, 05:29 PM
That's pretty messed up, glad to hear they're going to prosecute these guys.. IMO a misdemeanor seems like a slap on the wrist.. they need to be made an example of. they were protecting surfers my ***.. reminds me of the case of the one guy who caught and beached that big black bass to retrieve his lure.. smh

smokehound
08-25-2011, 07:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e0Gsn4khss

Hooked Up
08-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks FNNer's for not making this a race issue! It is a poaching issue! I am hispanic and not happy about this as well. I can not help but feel it does give's "hispanic's" a bad image. But it is still a poaching issue! TY By the way it is good to see smokehound has a sense of humor! Love that vid! Lol

BigBass777
08-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Here is an article and a 6:10 minute video of the baby great white shark being gaffed and then brought up to the pier. If you've seen it already then disregard.

http://cerritos.patch.com/articles/great-white-shark-illegally-caught-off-pier#youtube_video-7475877

The other video is also disturbing. It shows 4 juvenile thresher sharks in a bag that were also caught from Huntington Beach Pier. A 4th one is being reeled in. What the heck is wrong with these guys?! Isn't one enough? No! They have to keep them all.

Jeremy Wade Jr
08-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Ditto, Hooked Up. I read those YouTube comments and shook my head. Race has nothing to do with ignorance. :Rolls Eyes:

reservoir dog
08-26-2011, 08:41 AM
That's pretty messed up, glad to hear they're going to prosecute these guys.. IMO a misdemeanor seems like a slap on the wrist.. they need to be made an example of. they were protecting surfers my ***.. reminds me of the case of the one guy who caught and beached that big black bass to retrieve his lure.. smh

I agree that a misdemeanor is too light of a punishment for these guys. And I was just thinking about that incident with the black bass. Unfortunately these guys that killed the shark will walk away easy.

30lber
08-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Hopfully threw there investigstion they may find
stolen goods or warrants.
Pin them good!

smokehound
08-26-2011, 04:54 PM
LMFAO!! look at the video now. He thinks disabling comments will save him. He doesn't realize that all his deleted comments are still visible.

evosamurai
08-26-2011, 08:35 PM
LMFAO!! look at the video now. He thinks disabling comments will save him. He doesn't realize that all his deleted comments are still visible.

hows that? what do u mean?

smokehound
08-26-2011, 08:59 PM
hows that? what do u mean?When you "delete" a comment on a youtube video, or channel, it's still there, just not visible to the eye. The mods can still see them.

GotBass?
08-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Looks like these guys might be getting time. Just saw it on KTLA news this morning. Definitely a GW, and the DFG is investigating these guys.

<><
KP

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahaha GOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDD!!

DockRat
08-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Killng a GWS or Blk Sea Bass was crime BUT
if you guys saw how many get killed by commercial guys, long liners, gill netters even guys catching sardines get them caught in nets then you would see alot getting killed. Sad yet true.

Bycatch is bad. Even on the TV show Swords on the line they spike the sharks and rays with a tool to handle/unhook them then release them to die.

ICommercial guys used to shoot sharks ect so they wouldn't trash the nets, many still do.
Alot easier to untangle when there dead too. Sad but a reality, then tossed to sink out.
Sharks get killed everyday, sometimes just for the fins or bothering fishmen.
DR

DockRat
08-27-2011, 10:17 AM
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l93/loves_to_fish/sharks/mako20shark.jpg Mako Shark
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a435/lupe991/Great-White-Shark-002.jpg Great White Shark

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss278/cindyfranklin60/Great-White-Shark-013.jpg Great White Shark

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz3/reelred/7.jpg Mako Shark

First I thought the Warden was a dumbass but
if you look at the pics above they are simular.

Sightings, gotta love them.
Puts fear in people. Lol
DR

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

Huntington Beach — On August 24, 2011 The Los Angeles Times reported; “The California Department of Fish and Game is investigating what it said was the illegal capture of a great white shark, reeled in from the Huntington Beach pier Monday. In a six-minute video posted on YouTube, a group of people can be seen struggling to pull the bloodied juvenile great white shark from the ocean. The faces of bystanders are not clear, though their voices are. Investigators from the agency said they seized the shark after receiving a tip from a bystander. A warden who was dispatched to the pier found the men in possession of the shark. The warden initially thought the fish was a mako shark and let the men go. After a second look, the warden realized that it was a great white and caught up with the men at the nearby Newport Beach Pier, where the shark was seized. Fish and Game Capt. Dan Sforza said the incident is under investigation, and that it is a misdemeanor in California to capture or possess a great white. Officials declined to identify the men who captured the shark, Sforza said. The department will forward the results of its investigation to the L.A. County District Attorney's office, which could file criminal charges." Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

San Onofre State Beach — On August 26, 2011 Alexander Marques was Stand Up Paddle Surfing at Trail 3, San Onofre State Beach. It was 11:45 AM and he had been on the water 2 hours. The sky was clear with the air temperature estimated at 77 degrees Fahrenheit. The sea was calm with the water 6 – 8 feet deep over a sandy ocean bottom. Water visibility was equal to the depth as the ocean floor could be seen from the surface. No marine mammals were observed in the area. Marques reported; “When I saw the shark, I was standing on my board waiting for a wave. It had been about 15 minutes before my previous wave. The shark was moving very slowly as it passed by me headed in a southerly direction, approximately 3 – 4 feet below the surface. The shark was about 10 feet passed me, when it changed direction and headed toward the shore. That's when I decided to start paddling in. Luckily I was able to catch a small wave to shore. I reported it to the lady at the gate entrance. She said it was probably ‘Fluffy' an adolescent White Shark. It was at least 6 feet in length, dark in color with a very wide/broad back.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Mission Beach — On August 26, 2011 Tom Lochtefeld was surfing Mission Beach at 8:45 AM. He was in the same general area where the sighting occurred on Thursday, August 25. He observed a dorsal fin, about 14 inches high, approximately 50 feet from his location. The shark submerged and was not seen again. A two mile stretch of beach, extending from the South Jetty to Santa Clara Place, was closed on Thursday as a precautionary measure. It reopened Friday at 6:30 AM and was immediately closed again following the sighting by Lochtefeld. It is scheduled to reopen Saturday morning. The size of the dorsal fins observed in both sightings is suggestive of a sub-adult or adult white shark, at least 10 – 12 feet in length. Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

Mission Beach — On August 25, 2011 off-duty San Diego County Lifeguard Todd Rice observed a shark's dorsal fin, approximately 18 inches high, protruding from the water 100 yards off shore near tower 15 at Mission Beach, according to Lt. Nick Lerma. The shark came within 30 yards of the lifeguard as he rode a rescue board at 12:15 PM. Rice, a diver and spear fishermen, said; "I was scared. Obviously it was a pretty big fish. The fin was triangular in shape and gray color." He estimated the shark to be 10 – 15 feet in length and traveling in a northerly direction. Ashley Grauerholz, who works along the Mission/Pacific Beach Boardwalk, telephoned her husband, Blake, at 1:35 PM to inform him that helicopters were circling the area just offshore. Lifeguards asked about 200 swimmers to exit the water and the beaches were closed from 1 mile North to 1 Miles South of the sighting location, which is standard procedure. The helicopter circled the area for some time, but was unable to locate the shark. The beaches were schedule to reopen Friday morning, August 26. Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

oakboy
08-27-2011, 05:14 PM
SmokeHound,
After seeing those pictures i agree, a lot easier to confuse than i thought.

Also I love that website! Soooo many sitings. More than you would think.

<><
KP

smokehound
09-01-2011, 12:11 PM
SmokeHound,
After seeing those pictures i agree, a lot easier to confuse than i thought.

Also I love that website! Soooo many sitings. More than you would think.

<><
KPThanks, but you meant dockrat. :ROFL:

Darius
09-05-2011, 11:49 AM
The shark caught was a White Shark/Great White! You can tell by the pectoral fins (side fins), it has the black tips that signify it's a Great White. In addition the caudal fin (back fin) It has a notch on the upper fin. It's a shame that we have to witness this, and further it's a shame we got ignorant fishing network member on here posting "they do not care," "they do nothing for me" comments like this make want to give a dose of education. Because we all as anglers need to be informed and be knowledgeable what is right and wrong. Ignorance breeds ignorance, but above all it's good to know we have 8 pages of anglers who are disturbed by this, myself including! And whatever your screen name is bassman I believe, I hope one day a shark will eat you and spit you out in hell. I mean this jokingly because we all need to respect all forms of life, no endangered shark should be subject this crap.

30lber
09-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Any news on those punks?
Update?