PDA

View Full Version : Bernasconi Beach, Lake Perris

Kelster
08-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Most of you know how I have been doing on the East end of the lake, but last week I was out there and the fish have seemed to moved West. I like the East end as this are no boats to dodge. I have never launched out of Bernasconi so my question is where do I launch my tube from there. There seems to be a parking area then picnic area then bushes then finally water. Do I walk down the paved road/trail towards the dam then launch from there? Once I hit the water I don't know if I will fish along the dam or head east to the tire reef. If I head East then I have to kick against the wind in the afternoon to get back. That won't be so bad if I have the memory of all those BG's that were C&R. Are the boats and sea doos a big problem out there on the West end?
just sounds so noisy over there, but I have to go where the fish are.
thanks

Daryl
08-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Just keep close to shore within the 'no wake' buoys.

headcase881
08-23-2011, 03:14 PM
We will have to meet up out there kelster. thats my spot does me real well have not left skunked. I was on the east end in power boat cove this weekend and hooked up quick only fished for less then three hrs and got six

tunagod1
08-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Most of you know how I have been doing on the East end of the lake, but last week I was out there and the fish have seemed to moved West. I like the East end as this are no boats to dodge. I have never launched out of Bernasconi so my question is where do I launch my tube from there. There seems to be a parking area then picnic area then bushes then finally water. Do I walk down the paved road/trail towards the dam then launch from there? Once I hit the water I don't know if I will fish along the dam or head east to the tire reef. If I head East then I have to kick against the wind in the afternoon to get back. That won't be so bad if I have the memory of all those BG's that were C&R. Are the boats and sea doos a big problem out there on the West end?
just sounds so noisy over there, but I have to go where the fish are
thanks

Park on the far right side lot, stay to the right, walk down the road toward the dam, you will see trails that will take you to the lake. Go all the way down to rockclimbers cove. Most of the fish were stacked up there sat.
We fished 25-30 ft lots of bait and fish in the area.

Tuna

TheAsianGuy
08-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Park on the far right side lot, stay to the right, walk down the road toward the dam, you will see trails that will take you to the lake. Go all the way down to rockclimbers cove. Most of the fish were stacked up there sat.
We fished 25-30 ft lots of bait and fish in the area.

Tuna

Tuna nailed it. When you parked either on the far left parking lot near the camp sites, or along the far right roadside parking, just 1 minute of walk apart, it will take you about 7 minutes of walk from the parking lot to the dam. However, one you see the outfall monitoring station, be ready to hit the armored lined bank of the lake, or, if you like the easier access, walk until you see the fence for monitoring station, and you'll see a nice few cleared paths that lead directly to the beach areas where the tall grass grow. There were plenty of hack-and-slash assistants (including me) in creating those trails. Once you hit the water, you're less than 5 minutes of kicking until you reach the outfall, where the schools are going crazy for the foods being diverted from the inlet just north of this place. I noticed red wigglies, crickets, and nightcrawlers are the best for this site. Dropshot and Texas rigs with slow sink presentation seem to be the ticket as well.

fishmounter
08-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Kelster- Sent you a PM...

kotton909
08-25-2011, 11:20 AM
I would also like to know how to get to that side of the lake I want to fish that from **** is there a road that you pay at ???

TheAsianGuy
08-25-2011, 02:35 PM
I would also like to know how to get to that side of the lake I want to fish that from **** is there a road that you pay at ???

If you're talking about driving over to the Bernasconi Rd area, simply take the Ramona Express Pkwy all the way to the lake, drive pass the Lake Perris St road that turns left into the lake main entrance for another 2 miles or so, you'll see a speed radar and a 3-way yellow signs on your right. Be read to turn left onto Bernasconi Rd/Martin St. Drive in for a half mile, and you'll be at the gate. Normally, no one is there. If someone is there, be ready to drop $10 off in the guard's pocket :LOL: otherwise, there's a metal box there, with plastic envelopes. Make sure you mark your vehicle's license plate down clearly on the envelope, and seal that envelope up real good. Toss it in the offering bucket, and you're set.

kotton909
08-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks maybe when we sunday we will.fish that side

Flying
08-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Thats a long way to walk towards the dam lugging a tube and gear. And once you get there you still have to go down some 20 to 30 feet of rip rap that was the old shore line. the best and easiest way is to just walk down Bernasconi road right into the water. You can usually start catching fish right away. If you're not getting the type of fish you want then work your way towards the dam. I rarely go the other way now. It seems to get deader and deader every year going northeast of the road. The buoy line also comes in closer and you're stuck in shallower water.

Boat traffis is lighter on Sunday vs Saturday. On either day you still got till at least 10am for some peaceful fishing. I've been out there long enough that it doesn't bother me. I actually find summertime pretty entertaining out there:LOL:. You will get more boats/PWCs cross the line more towards the dam. A lot of buoys are missing so they end up making too wide of a turn coming off of the dam before they realize where they are. Rock Climbers Cove(now dry) also has the only few open shore spots in the area so the boaters will try to make base camps there.

And for the guys telling him to go to the far right just remember he's coming in from the road so everything is to the LEFT:Wink:

Kelster
08-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Clear as mud.:Confused:
I think that I will go thru the gate and park at the northern most , second left. Continue walking on Bernasconi Road, N by NW appx. 320^ to see how far it is to the water. It looks like that is the shortest route to the water. I don't mind kicking my tube around in the water, carrying it around on my back is different. Once I hit the water I will decide whether to head for the dam, or up towards the tire reef. i really appreciate all of the help and hope to see another person with a float tube and follow them down to the water, I enjoy the challenge and will learn this side of the lake.

Thanks

jeepnkal
08-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Im going to launch from Bernasconi road this Sunday. Can someone tell me where tire reef is? Thanks in advance.

Natethegreat
08-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Ive been fishing bernasconi for awhile now and i launch right off of the old road bed there.
then just paddle to rock climbers cove and fish that for awhile.

ive seen some big fish spawn there in the past

jeepnkal
08-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Ive been fishing bernasconi for awhile now and i launch right off of the old road bed there.
then just paddle to rock climbers cove and fish that for awhile.

ive seen some big fish spawn there in the past

Rock climbers cove? Is that on the way to the dam?

Natethegreat
08-26-2011, 04:47 PM
yea its right before the dam
if you paddle west past the road bed you will see the cove.
the fish right now are in deeper water but can still find some in the shallows

fishmounter
08-26-2011, 05:01 PM
Rock Climber's Cove is not there anymore because the water is so low. What used to be a cove is gone. It is still a pretty good area though the shallow end of the cove and the point of land is not there.

Kelster
08-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Fish are in 20-25 ft.