PDA

View Full Version : Ponto Beach (South Carlsbad)

Yellow Dog
08-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Third Day surf fishing, so I went with a friend to a new beach. Caught 4 surf perch. Someone must have told me a lie. I was told that the average size of surf perch are about a pound. Mine have all been between 5 and 8 inches. Anyway, caught 1 on a female sand crab with eggs, 3 on blood worms. Finally found a hot spot and pulled out 3 perch in about 10 minutes. Lots of hits. When the high tide reached its peak bite just shut off. Waves were a little high today. YD.

Which Way Out
08-22-2011, 10:07 PM
I fished Carlsbad once in my life.
I went to the local bait shop and asked the guy working there what the set up was for the surf. He said these hooks and this bait. That was a small hook and Blood worms carolina rigged. If I remember right they cost a lot.
Anyway I am fishing and next thing I know BAM my line is racing out like you wouldn't believe. I finally get the fish in and I couldn't believe what it was. A real honest to goodness Bonefish. This was about 20 years ago in late July. I have sense confirmed that yes Bonefish are caught in the San Diego Bay and a few others as well.
So the moral of the story is, If your fishing with Bloodworms hold on tight. Those things are like Turbo charged Yellowtail.
Good luck on whatever you fish for.

Hometown
08-22-2011, 10:22 PM
yes san diego and newport have bonefish

smokehound
08-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Lol, surf perch averaging 1 pound would be awesome. That's the average... in the channel islands :LOL:

The big ones come around during spawning, but the average size around OC waters is like, ten inches, with the occasional 12 incher here and there, depending on how often you're surf-fishing.

Try using larger baits. Use BIG sandcrabs, but beware, the larger sandcrabs attract bigger fish. Batrays and Sharks go ape **** over huge sandcrabs.

oakboy
08-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Nice job catching at least in C-bad, Ponto is also a rad place to surf.

Bonefish!! I have only caught them in Cozumel, they are one of the best fighting fish i have ever had the pleasure to cetch. I will have to look into this...

<><
KP

murrieta angler
08-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Good job Yellow,
Your count is getting better everytime.
Thanks for the report,
Robert
<><